Alternative to Hive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I'd like to introduce AKAI Timbre Wolf into this discussion. Really special and distinguished sound! :tu:

Is your computer strong enough to handle several instances of Diva? If you make it your go-to synth, you will probably want to run at least half a dozen instances.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Is your computer strong enough to handle several instances of Diva? If you make it your go-to synth, you will probably want to run at least half a dozen instances.
Thanks, that's a good point! I just tested this by duplicating a track on the song I'm demoing Diva on. With each one playing 3 note chords, I can get to 7 instances of Diva + 3 instances playing one note at a time for other sounds. All at Great quality, with a couple of TDR plugins on the master bus and some other instruments, so I will probably be fine?

Oh, My. I've been watching this thread go for a week or so. Crazy. You know this thread exists because people want Hive right? It just sounds good, and it's much more then a one trick pony. That's the trick of it.

The plugins I've thought about that could replace some of Hive... DUNE 2 can get close in sound but still retains that digital edge. ARCsyn is a close lay out and feature wise but doesn't have that grungy edge. Mpowersynth also has that roland-eque smooth sunshine daydream sound but the GUI isn't as well laid out. Those are my suggestions.

Dasheesh wrote:You know this thread exists because people want Hive right?
Not sure what you mean. This thread exists because the OP created it, looking for an alternative to Hive.

What's up chk. Haven't gone back and forth in a minute. Listen to yourself. "he wants a replacement for hive".

Dasheesh wrote:What's up chk. Haven't gone back and forth in a minute. Listen to yourself. "he wants a replacement for hive".
Actually, if you read the OP, that's EXACTLY what the OP wants. He doesn't like the sound of Hive. Not everybody does. I know that's hard for some people to accept but not everybody likes every synth.

Shocking, isn't it.

@ greedy.mf

I didn't bother to read thru every post on every page so I don't know what has been mentioned so far, but here are a few that I own myself,

ANA from Sonic Academy. I would say this is the best when reading what you are looking for. ANA will soon be updated with more functions and features. I never really saw the new version. The existing 1.5 that I have is subtractive, one page, a bunch of oscillators, filters, etc. Good thing is that it's fairly cheap to.

Dune 2. Quite different from Hive but it's one amazing sound machine. You can create a whole range of sound types with this one. A bit pricy but worth it for sure.

Strobe 2. I have it and I used presets mostly. It sounds nice but I don't really like the workflow, but it doesn't mean that you will not like the workflow.

NI Massive. This is an oldie but still good. Took a little while to wrap my head around it's workflow but from a subtractive synth point of view it sounds good, even compared to more modern stuff.

Spire. One page subtractive synth will amazing sound. Not a cheap synth but well worth the money.

I also own a few others like Z3TA+2 and Carbon Electra. Those are nice to but they don't come close to the capabilities of Hive. Everything I said here is of course based on my own preferences and experiences and you might agree or not. I just wanted to open your eyes to some other nice synths in case you overlooked any of them. I actually use all my synths fairly equal and each one have it's own good and bad sides.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

chk071 wrote:Don't disregard Massive, and, Monark from the Komplete synths though. Especially Monark's sound quality is mind-boggling.
Massive is still incredible... much more than the average dnb / xxxstep stuff...

ATN69 wrote:@ greedy.mf

I didn't bother to read thru every post on every page so I don't know what has been mentioned so far, but here are a few that I own myself,

ANA from Sonic Academy. I would say this is the best when reading what you are looking for. ANA will soon be updated with more functions and features. I never really saw the new version. The existing 1.5 that I have is subtractive, one page, a bunch of oscillators, filters, etc. Good thing is that it's fairly cheap to.

Dune 2. Quite different from Hive but it's one amazing sound machine. You can create a whole range of sound types with this one. A bit pricy but worth it for sure.

Strobe 2. I have it and I used presets mostly. It sounds nice but I don't really like the workflow, but it doesn't mean that you will not like the workflow.

NI Massive. This is an oldie but still good. Took a little while to wrap my head around it's workflow but from a subtractive synth point of view it sounds good, even compared to more modern stuff.

Spire. One page subtractive synth will amazing sound. Not a cheap synth but well worth the money.

I also own a few others like Z3TA+2 and Carbon Electra. Those are nice to but they don't come close to the capabilities of Hive. Everything I said here is of course based on my own preferences and experiences and you might agree or not. I just wanted to open your eyes to some other nice synths in case you overlooked any of them. I actually use all my synths fairly equal and each one have it's own good and bad sides.
Yeah, let's have a fresh start in recommending each ones favourite synthie...
:clap:

Strobe 2 was another good suggestion. Might be the closest actually, but single filter one layer I believe, not really a problem in today's DAW environment.

wagtunes wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:What's up chk. Haven't gone back and forth in a minute. Listen to yourself. "he wants a replacement for hive".
Actually, if you read the OP, that's EXACTLY what the OP wants. He doesn't like the sound of Hive. Not everybody does. I know that's hard for some people to accept but not everybody likes every synth.

Shocking, isn't it.

So he wants Hive but he doesn't want Hive... got it.

Dasheesh wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Shocking, isn't it.

No, he doesn't want Hive. He wants something similar to it in architecture but something that sounds better.

Kind of like if I wanted Arturia Mini V but something that sounds better, which would be The Legend.

wagtunes wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Shocking, isn't it.

No, he doesn't want Hive. He wants something similar to it in architecture but something that sounds better.

Kind of like if I wanted Arturia Mini V but something that sounds better, which would be The Legend.
To make a sawtooth filtered pluck or super unison? :lol:

Return to “Instruments”