Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Alternative to Hive

recursive one
KVRAF

3048 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:36 am Re: Alternative to Hive

martinjuenke wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:Ok you want alot of presets but you also want a subtractive synth at the same time and you want it to be looking like hive but at the same time with inspiring sound.

Are you just trolling KVR members?

Obviously! :borg:

Typical KVR:

Random guy A: "Hey, i don't like the sound of synth X, what alternatives you may suggest?"

KVR: "Fair enough mate, different strokes for different folks, one man's gold is another man's trash, try synth Y or synth Z instead"

Random guy B: "Hey, i don't like the sound of synth X by U-He/Synapse/kv331 what alternatives you may suggest?"

KVR: "Your skills suck, your hearing sucks, you suck, GTFO of KVR, you troll".

:hihi:
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...
chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:39 am Re: Alternative to Hive

:P

Also, "Just get any synth... they all sound the same anyway. It's all about sound design skills." Which i usually counter with "Why do you own all these payware synths then? Synth1 is very well doing the job."

Anyway, if it makes people feel better, then so shall be it.
greedy.mf
KVRist

108 posts since 21 Jul, 2015

Postby greedy.mf; Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:50 am Re: Alternative to Hive

chk071 wrote:
greedy.mf wrote:Envelops have strange feel, and despite adjustable curve it's not easy to find sweet spot. Call it my poor skills, I don care. However Hive or Sylenth don't give me that issue.

That's what i'm saying here, since years. Some synths simply have very strange envelopes. The counter-claim is usually that "you can shape, and make them sound the way you want with MSEG", or, as you said, adjustable curves.

Good to know I'm not alone with this opinion.
As for MSEG -yes, you could use to sculpt he living hell of the envelop. But I prefer ADSRs because I have all of Basic parameters assigned to hardware controller. ADSRx2 plus filter plus some goodies.
greedy.mf
KVRist

Postby greedy.mf; Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 am Re: Alternative to Hive

recursive one wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:Ok you want alot of presets but you also want a subtractive synth at the same time and you want it to be looking like hive but at the same time with inspiring sound.

Are you just trolling KVR members?

Obviously! :borg:

Typical KVR:

Random guy A: "Hey, i don't like the sound of synth X, what alternatives you may suggest?"

KVR: "Fair enough mate, different strokes for different folks, one man's gold is another man's trash, try synth Y or synth Z instead"

Random guy B: "Hey, i don't like the sound of synth X by U-He/Synapse/kv331 what alternatives you may suggest?"

KVR: "Your skills suck, your hearing sucks, you suck, GTFO of KVR, you troll".

:hihi:

Funny as hell :D
I like those developers, just wanted to explore some other options.
chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 am Re: Alternative to Hive

greedy.mf wrote:
chk071 wrote:
greedy.mf wrote:Envelops have strange feel, and despite adjustable curve it's not easy to find sweet spot. Call it my poor skills, I don care. However Hive or Sylenth don't give me that issue.

That's what i'm saying here, since years. Some synths simply have very strange envelopes. The counter-claim is usually that "you can shape, and make them sound the way you want with MSEG", or, as you said, adjustable curves.

Good to know I'm not alone with this opinion.
As for MSEG -yes, you could use to sculpt he living hell of the envelop. But I prefer ADSRs because I have all of Basic parameters assigned to hardware controller. ADSRx2 plus filter plus some goodies.

You can only get as far as the envelopes allow you anyway, MSEG or not. Of the envelopes are too slow, or suck for another reason, you can do what you want, you won't fix it.
greedy.mf
KVRist

Postby greedy.mf; Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:58 am Re: Alternative to Hive

chk071 wrote:
AnX wrote:Z3ta ? (Havent seen it for years, it was one page tho...?)

Yeah, but multiple tabs, like Spire, kind of. Anyway, i don't think you'll get a reasonably featured synth with a one page layout anyway. Even Sylenth1 has a flip page for the B part. And a very unconventional Master filter section, which still confuses the hell out of me.

z3ta is clickable as hell.
Same thing holds me off Spire.

As I mentioned previously, to me Hive UI nailed it. And Synthmaster one carbon copied it. Which is good.
But they made every effect clickable.
Saurus is ok too.

Dune is almost one page. Good design.
Element too. Not the top notch features though.
ere2learn
KVRian

1345 posts since 3 May, 2014

Postby ere2learn; Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:10 am Re: Alternative to Hive

Long shots but.....Diversion or Sunrizer
4damind
KVRAF

4573 posts since 17 Aug, 2004, from Berlin, Germany

Postby 4damind; Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:40 am Re: Alternative to Hive

Dune2
Examigan
KVRAF

4099 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:55 am Re: Alternative to Hive

Synthmaster One
ANA 2 (when it's released)
Spire
Dune 2

HIVE is great though. If you don't like the preset's sound as you said, did you try to make your own?
chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 am Re: Alternative to Hive

He already ruled most of these out, but... ok... :P

Btw, as i don't think that a reasonable set of feature can coincide with a one page layout, or simple operation, how about going a totally different path, and get one of these? https://www.music-group.com/Categories/ ... 00/p/P0245 You could just map and label those knobs, and wouldn't have to worry about the GUI anymore. I don't think that something like reasonable feature set/nice and simple GUI really exists, or could ever exist, so, that could be a good alternative you can also use with any other synth.
AnX
KVRAF

2066 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:34 am Re: Alternative to Hive

Omnisphere

End thread.
Igro
KVRAF

3964 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 am Re: Alternative to Hive

chk071 wrote:

That's what i'm saying here, since years. Some synths simply have very strange envelopes. The counter-claim is usually that "you can shape, and make them sound the way you want with MSEG", or, as you said, adjustable curves. Well, nope, not really. Some just will always sound soft, won't give you any punchiness, or "bang". Or what i'd call a organic, "round" sound.

Was one of the first thing i noticed with the full Synthmaster. The filters and envelopes just won't give me the kind of punch that Spire, or Sylenth1 produce, e.g. It always sounds soft, and weak. Like a (typical) soft synth.

SM1 one uses analog envelopes by default. And they ARE clicky. But as far as u remember SM1 doesn't use zero attacks by default. Also, if you don't get clicksy attack, you probably don't how to use synths. Change the phase of the waveform and don't use free running oscillator. If this is not enough, use a kikck sample in every note press. Phahaha. What's the point of having mega clicky attacks? Is it like the loudness war? SM attack is natural, it allows to stack voices without having too pronounced click, otherwise it would be overkill.
[For Sale] Synapse Audio EKS Pro 19$, 15£, 17€
chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 am Re: Alternative to Hive

I think you mistake a clicky attack with punch. Different things. What i mean is the chunky, big sound you get with some synths, when you lower the filter decay times, and turn down the filter frequency, vs. the thin, weak sound you get when you do so on other synths.
wagtunes
KVRAF

9157 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:12 am Re: Alternative to Hive

chk071 wrote:I think you mistake a clicky attack with punch. Different things. What i mean is the chunky, big sound you get with some synths, when you lower the filter decay times, and turn down the filter frequency, vs. the thin, weak sound you get when you do so on other synths.

I know exactly what you mean. Trying to do those big punchy plucks on some synths is futile. With some, it's physically impossible. I don't know why as I'm not a scientist, but something about the envelopes for some synths just make them suck for the job. Spire is amazing. Dune 2 is amazing.
greedy.mf
KVRist

Postby greedy.mf; Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:31 am Re: Alternative to Hive

Igro wrote:
chk071 wrote:

That's what i'm saying here, since years. Some synths simply have very strange envelopes. The counter-claim is usually that "you can shape, and make them sound the way you want with MSEG", or, as you said, adjustable curves. Well, nope, not really. Some just will always sound soft, won't give you any punchiness, or "bang". Or what i'd call a organic, "round" sound.

Was one of the first thing i noticed with the full Synthmaster. The filters and envelopes just won't give me the kind of punch that Spire, or Sylenth1 produce, e.g. It always sounds soft, and weak. Like a (typical) soft synth.

SM1 one uses analog envelopes by default. And they ARE clicky. But as far as u remember SM1 doesn't use zero attacks by default. Also, if you don't get clicksy attack, you probably don't how to use synths. Change the phase of the waveform and don't use free running oscillator. If this is not enough, use a kikck sample in every note press. Phahaha. What's the point of having mega clicky attacks? Is it like the loudness war? SM attack is natural, it allows to stack voices without having too pronounced click, otherwise it would be overkill.

Just to be clear, I didn't complain for SMO envelopes being not clicky enough for me. If anything, they are WAY too clicky. You adjust the attack until there it's too soft. CLICK-CLICK-sweet_spo..-SOFT. I like envelopes on Tyrell and Diva in this regard. You just loosen them a bit so there is no click, but power retains. Hope it makes sense.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments