Alternative to Hive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I remember the time I was considering buying Spire, but there were frequently new versions with bugs so I refrained. Maybe time is passing so fast that it feels like yesterday to me :?

martinjuenke wrote:By the way: I just bought Hive here at KVR second hand. The advertising for it in this thread was too tempting... :D

Why are you quoting yourself? :D

Because I'm too silly to work with KVRs editor... :roll:

greedy.mf wrote:Any love for kiloHearts kHs ONE?

Several months ago I've passed on the $20 offer and wonder if I should be biting my elbows.
ONE is good, but it's sound is lacking a certain something for me.

chk071 wrote:
greedy.mf wrote: Diversion looks scary.
It's a nice synth, but, it smokes my CPU for breakfast with most patches. :?
Yeah, it brings my computer to it's knees.

greedy.mf wrote:I need a simple to use subtractive synth with solid sound, nice GUI (one-page is the best) and plenty of presets.
anything really.

FK presets and learn to program synths and FX to
get the specific sound you want.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
greedy.mf wrote:I need a simple to use subtractive synth with solid sound, nice GUI (one-page is the best) and plenty of presets.
anything really.

Well, it makes sense and I could agree but I'm in arguing mood, so...
Some people like tinkering with their guitars, amps and stomp pedals. Sound defines their music. Not only, but they got "their sound".
Others just want to take a Strat, plug it in a Marshall and rock. Melody and harmony defines their music. Or structure. Their sound is generic. Good, but plain.

It might not be the straight analogy, but will do.

greedy.mf wrote:
layzer wrote:
anything really.

Well, it makes sense and I could agree but I'm in arguing mood, so...
Some people like tinkering with their guitars, amps and stomp pedals. Sound defines their music. Not only, but they got "their sound".
Others just want to take a Strat, plug it in a Marshall and rock. Melody and harmony defines their music. Or structure. Their sound is generic. Good, but plain.

It might not be the straight analogy, but will do.
Actually, it's a perfect analogy. And in the case of synths, how many different sounds are you gonna get anyway, especially if it's a very narrow synth to begin with? I mean you're not going to get the patches you can get out of Serum with Charlatan.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
greedy.mf wrote:CPU usage it too high for poly use. With 4x unison it is killing my four core i7.

Effects are a joke. One knob reverb and chorus?
LFOs are weak too. No retrigger options, no phase adjustment.
Strange selection of mod targets. Why cant modulate env sustain with mod wheel?
Unison detune and width is uncontrollable and therefore it is useless for me.

Still I like it, but it is more of a one trick pony. Just bass, good one though.
Sure, Element is not feature-packed like many other synths nowadays. Still, I think it is actually closer to a classic analog synth such as the OB8 than Hive or Sylenth1 is. And those hardware synths were not one-trick ponies.
Effects on hardware synths were also rather basic. Sometimes just an on/off switch for chorus for instance.
It sounds authentic, no doubt. Filter takes high resonance well. No regrets for buying, it was on sale.
But Waves license management system makes it complicated to use on two machines.
Not a go-to for me, however I managed to craft several good basses with that.
With its oscillators it wasn't that hard :)

Still I wonder why Waves have the audacity to offer that for $199 when Tyrell provides more design options and comparable sound quality, if not better.
LFOs retrigger, chorus is adjustable, unison too.
It even has two-slot mod matrix with drag'n'drop. How cool is that?
Sound has this vintage flavor all over it.
And you can play chords without putting your CPU on fire.
Simply love it. Even though not a go-to either due to lack of presets and retro-ish aftertaste.
Hats off to Herr H.

I was in a similar situation but i like and choosed Hive :D
Maybe Z3TA+ 2 fits your need, its a waveshaping synth, 2000+ Presets and pretty cheap.

wagtunes wrote:I mean you're not going to get the patches you can get out of Serum with Charlatan.
or patches you can get out of Charlatan with Serum.
different synthesis methods, VA vs Wavetable. bad comparison there, Einstein. :roll:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I mean you're not going to get the patches you can get out of Serum with Charlatan.
or patches you can get out of Charlatan with Serum.
different synthesis methods, VA vs Wavetable. bad comparison there, Einstein. :roll:
No, it's a perfect comparison for my point which is there is no one synth that can do everything. Right, Charlatan can do things Serum can't do. You yourself admitted it in your reply.

People who are looking for a "do everything in the world" synth are in for a huge disappointment. You use the synth that gives you the sound that you're looking to get. Or, in other words, you don't try sticking a square peg in a round hole.

So no, not a bad comparison. A perfect one which is exactly why I chose those two synths. You took at as a knock on Charlatan because you're so damn paranoid about people knocking free synths. News flash, I use free synths. Synth1 and Sonigen Modular are two of my favorites and Scrooo is one of the most unique synths I have ever run across and have found absolutely no substitute for it.

So stop being so damn paranoid. Not everybody here is out to knock free synths.

For those who think I hate free synths, here's the list that I have and use and the only reason it's not longer is because of all the 32 bit ones that I can't get to work without crashing, like the amazing HG Fortune synths outside of the one listed.

Lucid
Podolski
Ragnarok
Rez 3
Scrooo
Six
Sonigen Modular
Synth1
TAL Bassline
TAL Elek7ro II
TAL Noisemaker
TAL U No 62
TCM II
TDM 3
Tyrell N6
X-WoF-6

I have nothing against free synths. What I have a problem with is 32 bit synths that, in spite of JBridge, still don't work in my DAW. That's why I tend to stay away from a lot of free synths because they're not worth the hassle of trying to get them to work in a 64 bit platform. No, JBridge DOESN'T always work.

Again, I used Serum and Charlatan as examples because they're two completely different synths. Duh!

So many options to choose from but none of them satisfies you?

Return to “Instruments”