Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator for modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aalto Softube Modular

https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=buchla_259e
How twisted can things get? With Buchla 259e, the answer is—pretty twisted! This coveted dual oscillator module is the first-ever officially licensed plug-in version of a Buchla product. While the unit can be used for traditional synth patches, its unusual inner workings makes Buchla 259e excel at metallic, cold, harsh, digital and screeching sounds.

:love: :love:

Nice, but a $79 intro price? (and $99 RRP?). feck.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

And this is what's going to kill Softube Modular. $79 for ONE module?

I paid $146 for Softube Modular when I first got it and that was WITH the extra 3 modules.

So I'm going to half to pay over HALF of that for ONE module?

These guys are f**king whacked.

This is not surprising. There is a license involved, a license of a product that itself is super expensive, just like all Buchla stuff.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

The real Buchla 259e is $1600, about the same as my 4 most expensive oscillator modules combined (had I paid full price for all of them, rather than just one of them).

Well this is a surprise...hmm.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

wagtunes wrote:And this is what's going to kill Softube Modular. $79 for ONE module?

I paid $146 for Softube Modular when I first got it and that was WITH the extra 3 modules.

So I'm going to half to pay over HALF of that for ONE module?

These guys are f**king whacked.
I guess it's the marketing strategy. First lure many new customers into the system with a very attractive deal and then.. :wink:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

For everybody saying that a real Buchla is $1600, it doesn't wash here.

Take Falcon. A hardware synth with the same capability would cost $3,500 minimum. Nobody is going to pay that for a soft synth. I don't care if it can cook your dinner for you.

When an entire synth costs $150 and you then try to sell one module at more than half that price, in the VST market, you're stark raving mad. The only people who are going to pay that kind of money (and actually a lot more after the introductory period ends) are those who are 100% hardcore modular enthusiasts and DO look at is as paying just $79 for a $1600 module. I don't. Not when the whole synth only cost me $146.

It'll be interesting to see how large their customer base is and how well they do with these overpriced modules.

Why are you acting surprised ? I wasn't the only one to call this when Softube first announced Modular. Can't say you were not warned.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Daags wrote:Why are you acting surprised ? I wasn't the only one to call this when Softube first announced Modular. Can't say you were not warned.
Well, I wasn't expecting prices to be THIS insane. I mean the initial extra modules weren't near this much money. In fact, the 3 Intellijel modules together are only $130 combined.

If this had come out at around the same price ($39 to $49) I'd be fine with it. But $99 regular retail?

I can get a whole f**king synth for that much money.

So no, THIS I never expected.

I see your point, but then I think actual Buchla prices are stupid too. If it was a Mutable Instruments module that did the same thing, it'd be $320, the code and schematics would be open source, people would build a DIY version for you for $200, and you could use it for free in VCVRack. :D

As far as price ratios go, the 259e is about 5% of the hardware price. Their other modules are 10%, 18%, 24% of the hardware price.

There are people who will buy it, I'm sure. If I had Softube, I'd maybe think about it. (I had problems with iLok when I installed the demo, and greatly prefer hardware modular over software synths anyway.)

I bet it'll be 50% off in the sales, and they'll sell a boatload :ud:

strange price after VCV RAck came out. 79$ for a single oscillator???

At least modular works here, and there is support.
VCV is very much beta, no support, and doesn't run on my (new) pc.

Return to “Instruments”