Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator for modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aalto Softube Modular

Thanks, better than I explained it.

Multicore modular is not completely out of the realm of possibility though. Threads spinning on an atomic make for a really fast barriers, but then the problem is assigning an equal load to each thread. If done well, it might give you only 50%-100% more modules at the expense of 4x as many cores being consumed and your laptop taking off like a helicopter.
Last edited by vortico on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Stan Navi wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
shroom81 wrote:Wag, aren't you a grown man? In fact your'e ancient right ? Why are you spending all this time whining on forums man ? That truly baffles me :D

You know you can download the files straight from the website and skip Gobbler right ?
I actually looked for them. Can't find them.

Anyway, doesn't matter. I just started from scratch (uninstalled Gobbler) and sure enough, once I reinstalled it the modules showed up.

Screwiest system I've ever seen in my life.
I had the same issue, but i just relaunched Gobbler and got all updates. No need to uninstall.
Also broweser managment sysyem is under development, so i hope we will see it in the near future. :tu:
I tried relaunching. Several times in fact over the course of a good half hour or so. Didn't work. Finally had to uninstall and reinstall. Then everything showed up.

The system is horrible, period.

Hi!

I just played with Softube Modular and the Buchla module yesterday.

I thought it might be interesting to post the credits list. The manual PDF is actually very good. Nice documentation.

Credits
Oscar Öberg – modeling, project management, validation.
Kristofer Ulfves – presets, validation, user manual.
Igor Miná – user manual layout, hardware photos.
Todd Barton - testing, presets.
Patrick Detampel – testing, feedback.
Henrik Andersson Vogel – marketing.
Bitplant - graphics.

This is pretty interesting module, but I'm not quite following how one should patch this to properly respond to daw notes. What is the default principal osc freq based on?

If i patch DAW note to principal osc cv in it seems to work, but I'm not getting very low notes. I can only get lower notes by going lower with the principal osc freq knob, but it's difficult to tune and it doesn't feel like I'm doing it correctly.

raymondwave wrote:This is pretty interesting module, but I'm not quite following how one should patch this to properly respond to daw notes. What is the default principal osc freq based on?

If i patch DAW note to principal osc cv in it seems to work, but I'm not getting very low notes. I can only get lower notes by going lower with the principal osc freq knob, but it's difficult to tune and it doesn't feel like I'm doing it correctly.
Welcome to West Coast Synthesis. LOL.

Seriously, it's not something that you "traditionally" use for meat and tater sounds. It's mostly used for weird shit. That's why I've always loved West Coast Synthesis more than any other and what really got me into modular synths in the first place. It's just I could never afford a Buchla (who could?)

Just have fun with it. Trust me, if it sounds weird, you're not doing anything wrong.

You're doing it quite right.

I'll be posting some demo stuff soon.

raymondwave wrote:This is pretty interesting module, but I'm not quite following how one should patch this to properly respond to daw notes. What is the default principal osc freq based on?

Here’s a way to get both osc at the same pitch.
Default the principal osc by alt clicking it (I’m on Mac).
It’ll go to 55.
For the modulation one, turn the knob until the led goes off (almost 12 o’clock) to get 440.
Also, green togle button should make the “pitch track” led selected.
Hope this help.
Edit : both osc at 55 using each respactive “cv in” (green togle button = high for modulation one) will also work.
In the first example I didn’t use the “cv in” of the modulation osc, just the one of the principal osc.

There is "MIDI Enable" button at the top right of the module. When you turn it on the module will track correctly, even the lower notes (in this case you don't patch anything into CV for coarse tune for principal osc, this works remotely). It works in a fun way in this mode - principal osc is kind of locked to the incoming midi notes, even if you move the frequency knob you will here a temporary pitch bend that will shortly return to the note that you currently play (manual describes it).

Alternatively you can always tune manually as said above (set coarse tune at about 55 to set the note on C1) and patch a note signal from the DAW module into CV input for tune knob.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

Some drone experiments on the Buchla 259e... fascinating. Some pleasant and some unpleasant sounds :hihi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oruSsh9L9Ww

Well, it's official. Softube Modular is my all time favorite synth to program. I've been working on this thing all day and I normally don't do that anymore (you do get a little bored with synths in general after 40 years) but I can't put this thing down.

I doubt I'll ever run out of ideas. You're basically limited only by the capabilities of your CPU. Granted, I've yet to go beyond 20 modules in a patch before this thing starts to buckle, but even with that limitation, there's tons you can do.

Honestly, most fun I've had programming a synth since forever.

So I took the plunge with the 259e, by way of the JRR Shop discount. What a fun module! I guess the thing that STM really gives me is access to modules like this which I wouldn't otherwise have available. I would probably never buy the Spectral Resonator or the Korgasmatron for my hardware modular, but this is a much cheaper way to play with them. One of these days I'll have to try integrating the virtual modular with the hardware modular for some real fun!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

wagtunes wrote:Well, it's official. Softube Modular is my all time favorite synth to program. I've been working on this thing all day and I normally don't do that anymore (you do get a little bored with synths in general after 40 years) but I can't put this thing down.
Yeah! It really is so much fun, it was my first foray into modular synths and I've been addicted to it since. It is so nice to be able to add what you need. Plus it just sounds so marvelous I barely bother to open other VST'is these days.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

These two compliment each other. CV modulation using each plugin's audio inputs / outputs works really well (no midi or VST automation), if your DAW has flexible routing.

republik wrote:These two compliment each other. CV modulation using each plugin's audio inputs / outputs works really well (no midi or VST automation), if your DAW has flexible routing.
Nice! Thanks for the tip mate.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

Intrigued by this but ... ermmm ... can't figure it out.

1. What is going on inside Reaktor (patch + routing out)?

2. What is the second External Instrument / collapsed audio effect in the Live instrument rack.

lnikj wrote: 2. What is the second External Instrument / collapsed audio effect in the Live instrument rack.
Softube Modular.

Return to “Instruments”