One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebralette

Yup - welcome to the land of challenges, fun and music making - ask over at the Reaper Forums for help. The people there will really want to help - and remember, there's no such thing as a difficult question, only one's you don't know the answer to! Folk there are very experienced and know they started knowing little way back when, so will guide you along the way to achieving what you want.

ALSO, ask here for help - as you can see from this thread, people will help if they can - down to building new builds of software for us ... ( :tu: Mr.T.!)

dB

...can you believe it! :lol:

functionform wrote:Fascinating. Reaper must have something like that, I just gotta find it in the millions of options. Coming back to music after an almost 20 year break has been challenging - so much is possible now that I would have never dreamed of.
I don't think it does .. the built in drum sequencer works on only samples if I remember correctly. If you want VSTi based drum sounds I think you are looking at separate tracks for each instrument. You can certainly group them into a drum folder for organizations sake.

but yeah as doctorbob says check out the Reaper forums.

in Reaper you could try to assign to one midi track different track instrument to different midi channel: one zebralette, kick, to midi channel 1, another zeb snare to 2... and in the midi destination track, play the multi midi channel( with different color by midi channel) now, you have a drum rack like ableton.

Or you can try another trick. Sometimes I use MT Power Drums, a good sounding free drum VSTi, to play and arrange the drum sounds on my keyborad. Whem the track is ready, I copy the MIDI data for each instrument into the synth-track, where the synth is now making the drum sound.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Hi folks,

here is my piece of music for this competition. It is the first time I'm take part.

Here some technical infos:
1 x Reaper DAW
12 x Zebralette
4 x Voxengo OldSkoolVerb
5 x ReaComp
10 x ReaEQ
2 x ReaDelay

I hope someone like it.

https://soundcloud.com/ckoehlerberlin/c ... -104-thing

In reaper I basically routed all midi to several parallel tracks. Works good enough for me for now!

If I make a drum track a la General Midi I then route that midi to as many tracks as I need, and stick a JSMidiNoteFilter at the top of each chain to isolate the drum items - and then simply stick the VSTi next and load a preset as required.

I also find it easy to stick a blank track in front of those drum tracks and call it "Drum BUSS", and make that a folder track and the last drum instance track make it "last in foder" (or even stick a blank track there called "End of Drums" and make that the last folder) - that way you have all the drums neatly nested. To make overall mixing even easier - I alse create a new "Percussion" track at the head of all the tracks and route the drum parent folder to that. In this way I can have a simple overall view of the track elements in the first say 8-10 tracks, and keep all the individual elements out of the way - which may include many harmony, fx, reverb busses etc ...

dB

https://soundcloud.com/sampleme/yousampleme-zfx

Ableton Live 9
4 DAW Compressors
5 DAW Reverbs (4 inserts + 1 send)
3 DAW Simple Delays (2 inserts + 1 send)
13 instances of Zebralette

Thank you for listening.

Sample Me

YouSampleMe wrote:https://soundcloud.com/sampleme/yousampleme-zfx

Ableton Live 9
4 DAW Compressors
5 DAW Reverbs (4 inserts + 1 send)
3 DAW Simple Delays (2 inserts + 1 send)
13 instances of Zebralette

Thank you for listening.

Sample Me
Great track! I have only listened on my phone speakers so far but I love what I am hearing. It's got a very cool Kraftwerk/Afrika Bambaataa vibe to it but with a more modern pallete. I think you really got at the essence of this synth (something I am currently struggling to do). I can't wait to listen on better speakers.

Man, this month's competition is going to be fierce. I will do my best to finish and submit what I am working on but I am going to have to be realistic about my chances of a strong finish. It will take a superhuman effort to win this one.

@LocalMan - yeah, some good entries already - gonna be tough. So, I have already scrapped my first tune and am starting again and will keep the bare bones for another time.

As a consequence, I will likely be a "near deadline submitter" this time.

dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@doctorbob - so far nice track. I know you said it is rough mix but be carefull on finished track with volume levels on some instruments. Some are too loud while others are lost in the mix.

I wish I have more time to work on my. Hope to finish my track in time.

Thanks. But this track is going in the bin. I am doing a completely new and different thing, and starting from scratch - except for a few presets I have already done for this now defunct track.

I think the track and its structure could do with some better instrumentation, and prehaps a different synth would maybe offer the right kind of things - not that Zebrealette is not incapable, just I didn't really manage to squeeze out the sounds I wanted. I thought it might happen, but by the time they got into the mix, as you say, a bit overcrowded. So, you may hear this track in a different guise sometime in the future.

Now, back to the drawing board for something completely different.

dB

doctorbob wrote:@LocalMan - yeah, some good entries already - gonna be tough. So, I have already scrapped my first tune and am starting again and will keep the bare bones for another time.

As a consequence, I will likely be a "near deadline submitter" this time.

Just for fun - here's where I got to before junking the track and doing something completely different!

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/solitude-va

Please note BJ - NOT, repeat NOT a submission - and only a really rough (I mean rrrr-rough) mix!

dB
Some nice elements here, so it will be cool to hear what you come up with next.
I wish I was brave enough (or had the time really) to start over but for me I put so much into the early development of what I am working on that it kind of feels like a runaway truck. So either it will be a thrilling daredevil finish or I'll slam into a pole. :D

Local Man wrote: Great track! I have only listened on my phone speakers so far but I love what I am hearing. It's got a very cool Kraftwerk/Afrika Bambaataa vibe to it but with a more modern pallete. I think you really got at the essence of this synth (something I am currently struggling to do). I can't wait to listen on better speakers.
Thanks for your kind words.
I look forward to hear your track.
Cheers

SM

Return to “Instruments”