Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

hag01
KVRist

84 posts since 15 Feb, 2014

Postby hag01; Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:25 am Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

Do you think Roland SuperNATURAL synth can produce similar style and variety of sounds to omnisphere sounds?

The thing is, if I'm getting a roland FA 08, I'm getting a synth, but I'm also getting a portable instrument for giging, with very delightful action(ratively to its size and weight), and even a basic sequencer to for initial scatches on the keyboard(for serious works I rather use a DAW anyway).

The question is how good the SuperNATURAL synth, and whether it can give me more or less what Omnisphere contains.
gentleclockdivider
KVRian

672 posts since 21 Mar, 2009, from gent

Postby gentleclockdivider; Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:19 pm Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

The only 2 thing the integra and omnisphere have in common is the quality of their samples .;but good .;but omnisphere is a much deeper synth

I just got an integra..for about 3 days ..and I like ...a simple robust , classic roland box .
I'm gonna keep it short .
The integra features 2 different synth engines
-Classic roland pcm synth engine , like in their jv , xp series ...old filters but has stood the test of time .
Basically a patch is 4 partials ( oscilators ) .;there are 12 configurations ..ring mod /booster et c .
Each partial has it own 2 lfo , pitch /amp /filter env ..etc./+ all the srx cards ...

Like I said .;the pcm engine is almost 25 years old ( yes so old ) ...still sounds good .

The there is the supernaturall engine ..
Supernatural acoustic sounds are almost non editable but they sound absolutely amazing
The supernatural synth is simplerthen the pcm synth ..no osc routings .., just ring mod and a lousy waeshpaer .
The filters sound good ...but no filter fm , no oscilator sync etc .;
Why ?
Because those oscilators are also sample based .

I like the integra , but it is not so deep as one might think .
For deep synthesis I turn to reaktor or my nord modular , but all in all the integra is Fine piece of gear

Oh yeah ..;zero cpu load ;

edit ??I can't be bothered to correct my spelling ;;tootired ..of to bed
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies
kmonkey
KVRAF

3706 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Postby kmonkey; Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 am Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

I am using Integra over Omnisphere any day. But i would suggest you try both because both are good and you need to decide which one suits you better,
hag01
KVRist

Postby hag01; Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:45 am Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

kmonkey wrote:I am using Integra over Omnisphere any day. But i would suggest you try both because both are good and you need to decide which one suits you better,

Excuse me, english is not my native language, by saying "I am using Integra over Omnisphere any day." you intend to say you prefer the Integra over Omnisphere?
gentleclockdivider
KVRian

Postby gentleclockdivider; Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:12 pm Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

hag01 wrote:
kmonkey wrote:I am using Integra over Omnisphere any day. But i would suggest you try both because both are good and you need to decide which one suits you better,

Excuse me, english is not my native language, by saying "I am using Integra over Omnisphere any day." you intend to say you prefer the Integra over Omnisphere?

Yes he does
Eyeball exchanging
emcee
KVRian

1191 posts since 16 Sep, 2005, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby emcee; Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:52 pm Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

Have had my Integra-7 for about a year and it's nothing short of amazing. Having gone from JV1080 to JV2080 (with various cards) the fact the Integra has the whole library and clear amazing sound still impresses me. It's heritage of course is as a Rompler, but can deep edit if you really want to (ipad required for best results). Omnisphere I also own and run on my Receptor 2, so it's "kind of" a hardware synth for me. The difference between the two? Omnisphere is more of a "synth" synth with a vaster library of sounds, some of them useable for day to day composition, but a lot that sound cool alone but not as easy to work into a song - that's my view anyway, of course results will vary on what you're actually looking to achieve. Movie soundtrack work, where you can freeform a lot more, or a patch called "Brain of the Serial Killer" - Omnisphere. Doing cover songs and needing a great piano, or lush strings - Integra. But with a pretty large overlap. Like any synth (hardware or software) they both have their strengths and comes down to how you use it and the expectation you want to get out of it either out of the box or with hours of tweaking.

Your original question - can Integra sound same as Omnisphere? Yes, if you want to invest the time into it. But you can also make a Jupiter 8 sound like a CS01 if you want to. ;)
Don't Tech No for an Answer
hag01
KVRist

Postby hag01; Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 am Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

emcee wrote:Have had my Integra-7 for about a year and it's nothing short of amazing. Having gone from JV1080 to JV2080 (with various cards) the fact the Integra has the whole library and clear amazing sound still impresses me. It's heritage of course is as a Rompler, but can deep edit if you really want to (ipad required for best results). Omnisphere I also own and run on my Receptor 2, so it's "kind of" a hardware synth for me. The difference between the two? Omnisphere is more of a "synth" synth with a vaster library of sounds, some of them useable for day to day composition, but a lot that sound cool alone but not as easy to work into a song - that's my view anyway, of course results will vary on what you're actually looking to achieve. Movie soundtrack work, where you can freeform a lot more, or a patch called "Brain of the Serial Killer" - Omnisphere. Doing cover songs and needing a great piano, or lush strings - Integra. But with a pretty large overlap. Like any synth (hardware or software) they both have their strengths and comes down to how you use it and the expectation you want to get out of it either out of the box or with hours of tweaking.

Your original question - can Integra sound same as Omnisphere? Yes, if you want to invest the time into it. But you can also make a Jupiter 8 sound like a CS01 if you want to. ;)

I think there is a confusion in your message.

When I say SuperNATURAL Synth, I mean synth only, that's mean synthetic sounds, I'm not talking about the rompler side of the integra, wich should be compared to sample libararies or modeled acoustic instruments, but not to a software synth like Omnisphere.

Acually for acoustic sounds I prefer mostly software instruments on the Integra.

By the way, the Roland FA is a keyboard with the same synth engine as the integra, but missing a lot of acoustic sounds that included in the Integra, but I don't care about that because the FA still contains a comprehensive collection of acoustic sounds for live use, probably all the acoustic sounds I'll ever need in a live situation, and for studio productions I rather use software instruments.

But, synthetic sounds is another case, there are some great hardware synths this days, that are comparable to software synths, I want to figure out whether the Integra\FA is one of them.

Another thing I want to know is how flexible the SuperNATURAL Synth, can you program it to sound like anything you want(relatively of course)?
emcee
KVRian

1191 posts since 16 Sep, 2005, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby emcee; Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 am Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

It is flexible if of course you put in the time, just like every other synth out there.
Definitely one of Roland’s finest efforts of the last few years.
Don't Tech No for an Answer
gentleclockdivider
KVRian

Postby gentleclockdivider; Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:59 am Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

hag01 wrote:
emcee wrote:Have had my Integra-7 for about a year and it's nothing short of amazing. Having gone from JV1080 to JV2080 (with various cards) the fact the Integra has the whole library and clear amazing sound still impresses me. It's heritage of course is as a Rompler, but can deep edit if you really want to (ipad required for best results). Omnisphere I also own and run on my Receptor 2, so it's "kind of" a hardware synth for me. The difference between the two? Omnisphere is more of a "synth" synth with a vaster library of sounds, some of them useable for day to day composition, but a lot that sound cool alone but not as easy to work into a song - that's my view anyway, of course results will vary on what you're actually looking to achieve. Movie soundtrack work, where you can freeform a lot more, or a patch called "Brain of the Serial Killer" - Omnisphere. Doing cover songs and needing a great piano, or lush strings - Integra. But with a pretty large overlap. Like any synth (hardware or software) they both have their strengths and comes down to how you use it and the expectation you want to get out of it either out of the box or with hours of tweaking.

I think there is a confusion in your message.

When I say SuperNATURAL Synth, I mean synth only, that's mean synthetic sounds, I'm not talking about the rompler side of the integra, wich should be compared to sample libararies or modeled acoustic instruments, but not to a software synth like Omnisphere.

Acually for acoustic sounds I prefer mostly software instruments on the Integra.

By the way, the Roland FA is a keyboard with the same synth engine as the integra, but missing a lot of acoustic sounds that included in the Integra, but I don't care about that because the FA still contains a comprehensive collection of acoustic sounds for live use, probably all the acoustic sounds I'll ever need in a live situation, and for studio productions I rather use software instruments.

But, synthetic sounds is another case, there are some great hardware synths this days, that are comparable to software synths, I want to figure out whether the Integra\FA is one of them.

Another thing I want to know is how flexible the SuperNATURAL Synth, can you program it to sound like anything you want(relatively of course)?

For me the supernaturalsynth is the weakest part of the integra , I muchmore prefer the pcm synth .
Here's what I think is weak about the SNS

No oscilator sync ,
I think the standard saw/square /supersaw osc's are sample based , some people say they are not .;but there is enough proof that they are .
They always start with the same phase , pitching down noise sounds like a low passfilter ( typical side effect of sampled noise ) , recording the supersaw shows an obvious repetition in the waveform .
If these osc 's.would be mathematically generated , why no osc .sync .?
The waveshaper sucks balls , big balls ...there's a waveshaper amount in the common page and also according to the manual , the pitch of osc2 hass effect on the waveshaper ( unless it's eaqual or 1 or 2 octaves aboe or below osc1) , the waveshaper is applied to osc 1 ..but it stinks ....
It's not a waveshaper as in ' non linear ' input gain , destroy kinda waveshaper ...
The envelope filters behave quircky , maybe that's part of the modelling ...but they are loopable .;which is nice , the filters sounds nice too ...
The supernatural synth is basic , don't expect deep synthesis
I made a simple patch on the sq8l synth , just 2 osc's ( 1octave below ) square /saw and ringmod +lp filter ...I just coldn't get the same ooomph out of the integra sns synth....
or me the ultimate flexibility test for a synth is to create drumpatches on it , the SNS synth fails miserably..because there is almost no intermodulation between the osc's and all of the above
I've had for about a week now ,and really love the pcmsynth ...
Eyeball exchanging
hag01
KVRist

Postby hag01; Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:37 am Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

gentleclockdivider, can you explaing me please about the PCM synth, I didn't understand so far what it is.
I thought the PCM synth in the Integra is just samples, is it a real synth that produce synthethic sounds? are the osc's in the PCM synth aren't sample base?
Does the PCM synth is completely not sample based, 100% synthetic sounds? because that is what I'm looking for.
bmrzycki
KVRAF

3952 posts since 11 Aug, 2006, from Austin, TX

Postby bmrzycki; Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 am Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

hag01, the Integra-7 has five different tone generators. One of them is the PCM synth mode.
https://www.roland.com/us/products/inte ... fications/

There are many samples in the Integra-7 SuperNATURAL groups.

The comparison between Omnisphere and Integra-7 is not an easy one. The sounds are designed for different uses. Spectrasonics intentionally did not make Omnisphere a set of normal instruments. Omnisphere is all about exploration of sound. The Integra-7 is intended as a general MIDI device with all the standard sounds covered. It does an excellent job of this.

Your needs should determine which one you decide on purchasing. Both are expensive so I recommend taking your time to decide.
Feel free to call me Brian.
gentleclockdivider
KVRian

Postby gentleclockdivider; Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:12 pm Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

hag01 wrote:gentleclockdivider, can you explaing me please about the PCM synth, I didn't understand so far what it is.
I thought the PCM synth in the Integra is just samples, is it a real synth that produce synthethic sounds? are the osc's in the PCM synth aren't sample base?
Does the PCM synth is completely not sample based, 100% synthetic sounds? because that is what I'm looking for.

The pcm synth is roland sample synthesis engine , it is what made them unbeatable during the 90's

the jv series , jd , xp and then the xv .
There are minor differences .;you can read all about the pcm engine here
http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=585
The jd 990 is considered to be the most analogue sounding , offering cross modulation between waveforms ( sample rom ) and oscilator sync .
The most advanced in the line is th xv5080 , iterated by the integra .
The integra does NOT offer sync and cross moulation in the pcmsynth , and also not in the supernatural synth .
Eyeball exchanging
gentleclockdivider
KVRian

Postby gentleclockdivider; Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

bmrzycki wrote:hag01, the Integra-7 has five different tone generators. One of them is the PCM synth mode.
https://www.roland.com/us/products/inte ... fications/
. The Integra-7 is intended as a general MIDI device with all the standard sounds covered. It does an excellent job of this.

That would be an understatement
It' just as deep as an xv 5080 minus the sampling .
Eyeball exchanging
gentleclockdivider
KVRian

Postby gentleclockdivider; Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 pm Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

gentleclockdivider wrote:
hag01 wrote:gentleclockdivider, can you explaing me please about the PCM synth, I didn't understand so far what it is.

The pcm synth is roland sample synthesis engine , it is what made them unbeatable during the 90's
And yes it is sample based , but a lot of ( thousands ) waveforms ..including your subtractive saw/square/pulse from various sytnh .
So youhave these available at all times to do subtractive filtering , the pcm synth has 4 filters , 'lfos , a step lfo etc .
And yes there also a lot of longer samples , like bass and leads which are created on other synths but available in your pcmengine , spcrasonics used to make a lot of cards for the roland romplers .
In essence a rompler is just a sampler with a hard baked ROM .
Both romplers and sampler have incredible synthesis depths .
And then there is the supernatural .
Whhich is bassically the second engine of the integra .
-Supernatural acoustic sounds , = samples and according to roland marketing some physicalmodelling ettc..who knows
-Supernatural drums , = samples .
-Supernatural synth = virtual analogue synth , which has 4 ( non sampled to some ) oscilators but alsoacces to 450 different sampled waveforms .
It's agreat machine , and I bought it because I wanted some realistic bass /drums etc .
Like I said for deep synthesis , thesupernatural is not going to cut it .
It's sounds good , but it's simple .
The pcm engine more complex .
Just go for it , if you don't like ..sell it ...a piece of hardware is always nicer to work with then a piece of software ( except for reaktor ;)

the jv series , jd , xp and then the xv .
There are minor differences .;you can read all about the pcm engine here
http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=585
The jd 990 is considered to be the most analogue sounding , offering cross modulation between waveforms ( sample rom ) and oscilator sync .
The most advanced in the line is th xv5080 , iterated by the integra .
The integra does NOT offer sync and cross moulation in the pcmsynth , and also not in the supernatural synth .
Eyeball exchanging
C-note
KVRAF

1518 posts since 2 Apr, 2006, from Studio City, California

Postby C-note; Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 am Re: Roland SuperNATURAL synth or Omnisphere?

I looked at the Integra but opted for the Roland JD-XA instead as it has 4 voice pure analog and 64 voice Integra supernatural engine. Love it!
Some covers done with the JD-XA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrwB-qu-ASQ

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments