Best Roland JP 8000 / 8080 VST Alternative

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys!

One big question:
I found out that a Roland JP 8080 synth seems to fit perfectly into my music ideas. Can't afford one though (or can't find it second hand).

Is there any VST Synth which can emulate the 8080 in the whole? I'm not especially interested in the superwave thing, because even the other waveforms sound really good for me in this synth.

My music will be anything between oldschool Techno/Acid with modern elements and strange/alien character.

some sound examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjcYqQd7-Q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFjjtrHM7MU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FahCqlkFp8A

Would you recommend another VST synth for this type of music? Please listen to the sound examples, it is really important to me :)
I would also be very happy if you could suggest a whole setup for reaching this versatility in his sounds!

Many many thanks to you!

There is a synth by Beepstreet called Sunrizer. But I have no idea how close it sounds to a JP8000 as its architecture looks a bit different and has some missing bits I think.

Demo it. I loved how it looked but felt it had a very digital sound to it, it has a character but not one that really seemed to set me on fire. Maybe this is exactly how the JP8000 sounds ? After all it is an early VA and digital at heart. I think this was supposed to be a synth that was classic for straight trance with supersaw sounds. Though I am not sure if the filter is analogue with digital oscillators.

Have a listen it might be just what you are after.

What you are looking for is a generic subtractive (virtual analog) synth - 98% of vst synths fit into this category.

Synth 1 is a great synth that is worth checking out, and it's free!
Last edited by zyguli on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Afaik Diva's digital oscillator emulates the whole JP 80x0 oscillator, not only the supersaw.

I think Diva and Bazille should cover most sounds used in your examples.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

How are we to know which sounds of that chaotic music are from those synths? I don't really hear interesting synths, it is mostly percussion...

Sunrizer, JP6K, or maybe the free Super7 ?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

fluffy_little_something wrote:How are we to know which sounds of that chaotic music are from those synths? I don't really hear interesting synths, it is mostly percussion...
+1

Use a Hairdryer to make your door hinges dry and record it while moving the door with a mic and apply fx to taste.

Look for a Roland System 1, gets you close to that Roland digital sound.

Maybe you should look into Roland cloud, with all the emulations of classic Roland analog HW that make up big part of 90's dance music.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Look for a Roland System 1, gets you close to that Roland digital sound.

Maybe you should look into Roland cloud, with all the emulations of classic Roland analog HW that make up big part of 90's dance music.
I don't advise him to do that for System-1 and System-8 soft versions. Those are CPU eaters, basically useless. You would have to freeze each track.

That said, I think something like Spire (would be my first choice), Sylenth, Dune 2, etc., would be able to do what he wants.

Simpler ones: Adam Szabo already mentioned JP6K synth, and also the Superwave Ultimate (on sale right now): http://www.superwavesynths.com/ultimate (this is very close to the JP-8000)
Last edited by fmr on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

They're not emulations of the JP-8k, but, Spire and Sylenth1 will probably get you reasonably close. Both have unison oscillator level, and have that VA hardware vibe going on, they always remind me a bit of synths like the Virus, or the JP-8k. Some also claim that Z3TA is supposed to be Roland-ish, i didn't quite notice that too much though. Also check out Dune 2, which is also a bit in that direction.

fluffy_little_something wrote:How are we to know which sounds of that chaotic music are from those synths? I don't really hear interesting synths, it is mostly percussion...
Indeed, most sounds could be generated with drum machine/samples. e.g. You could do everything with Maschine.

+1 for Diva. That is the only one which emulates all of the oscillator modes, including the feedback oscillator. Most others just copy the supersaw.

That said, the JP8K is really a rather mediocre synth. And I would know- I've owned one since they first came out. It sounds okay-ish on its own, but put it next to a Jupiter-6 and you'll instantly realize just how embarrassingly bad it is.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:+1 for Diva. That is the only one which emulates all of the oscillator modes, including the feedback oscillator. Most others just copy the supersaw.
This is indeed correct. So far all other plugins only emulate the JP-8000 Supersaw, not the whole JP-8000 oscillators.
Opposing to the real thing Diva also has all oscillator shapes available for both oscillators, not only for Osc 1.

FWIW so far my favorite filter for the JP-8000 oscillator in Diva is the Uhbie multimode filter even if there are a few Roland filters (e.g. Jupiter 8 and 6) included.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”