Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Loom II has landed!

thejonsolo
KVRAF

1810 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

Loom was an awesome synth. I loved the simplicity of getting what I wanted and needed out of it quickly. I think the new features of Loom II are great and add good value to the product.

The two primary complaints are quite valid. Re-sizable GUI and 16-32 voices is common place in today's soft synth market. On the other hand, they are also options typically seen on synths that are priced over $150. Repro-1 is a mono synth priced at $99. One voice...granted it is one fine voice, but still...

The perks, price, and ease of getting into Air products should not diminish the value of the current line of releases. Don't get me wrong, I wish ALL synth devs would create a re-sizable GUI. And mono synths should be an option on a polysynth. If CPU's can tackle DIVA and Spire then anything is possible. It would be a great option to see on this synth.

Having said that, Loom II is still a great update that, at its core, is rock solid and sounds great. It is one of my favorite additive synths, and I find it warmer than Morphine or Blade. I find it easier to use, or maybe I am just more familiar with it, than Razor. And as far as I know those don't have re-sizable GUI's either.
dangayle
KVRist

415 posts since 29 Mar, 2014

Postby dangayle; Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

thejonsolo wrote:Loom was an awesome synth. I loved the simplicity of getting what I wanted and needed out of it quickly. I think the new features of Loom II are great and add good value to the product.

Having said that, Loom II is still a great update that, at its core, is rock solid and sounds great. It is one of my favorite additive synths, and I find it warmer than Morphine or Blade. I find it easier to use, or maybe I am just more familiar with it, than Razor. And as far as I know those don't have re-sizable GUI's either.

Thank you for saying that. There are tons of vsts with fixed GUIs. It's not always as easy as people want to think to make them scale well. C'est la vie.
aMUSEd
KVRAF

28286 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

Will it still load my Tapestry bank patches and other Loom 1 patches?
hardwired
KVRist

275 posts since 25 Oct, 2004

Postby hardwired; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:03 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

aMUSEd wrote:Will it still load my Tapestry bank patches and other Loom 1 patches?

It does load your Tapestry bank. Can't say for other banks/presets.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

15100 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:09 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

c_voltage wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:8 or 12 is not enough for any long release sounds that are played chordally with both hands. Has to be 16, preferably 32.

Well, i meant, Loom has a predisposition to spacious\freq-wide textures even in a single voice view, so, there is worry that it can be a some timbre mess in such huge voice amounts. Among other, again cpu issue.

Predisposition or not, you can do other sounds with it as well. And no, CPU is not a problem. Today's CPUs eat Loom's 6 laughable voices of polyphony for breakfast, even with all modules doing some pretty elaborate additive stuff, and with max number of partials.

16 or 32 is not a problem. The option should be there.
c_voltage
KVRian

968 posts since 16 May, 2004, from Soviet Union

Postby c_voltage; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:23 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

EvilDragon wrote:
c_voltage wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:8 or 12 is not enough for any long release sounds that are played chordally with both hands. Has to be 16, preferably 32.

Well, i meant, Loom has a predisposition to spacious\freq-wide textures even in a single voice view, so, there is worry that it can be a some timbre mess in such huge voice amounts. Among other, again cpu issue.

Predisposition or not, you can do other sounds with it as well. And no, CPU is not a problem. Today's CPUs eat Loom's 6 laughable voices of polyphony for breakfast, even with all modules doing some pretty elaborate additive stuff, and with max number of partials.

16 or 32 is not a problem. The option should be there.

Ok, we shall remain each at the opinion, i admit that i can be wrong in this. Again, different sound approaches\tastes perhaps.

So, tried install v2 trial, really it's replace v1 after install to the same place, since has the same dll name (and i guess has the same plugin ID). That not very well.
starflakeprj
KVRian

585 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Postby starflakeprj; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:27 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

"Upgrade to Loom II...and get the Tapestry expansion for free". Seriously, is it really ok to write that in an ad?

It's like writing "Buy this product and you get some air for free"
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.0GHz | 64GB DDR3 | 3 x Nvidia GTX 780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Roland QUAD-CAPTURE | M-Audio Code61
Studio One 3.5 | Reason 10 | Bitwig Studio 2.2 | Reaper 5.6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 12.5 | 450+ VSTs | 130+ Rack Extensions
shonky
KVRist

430 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Postby shonky; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

starflakeprj wrote:"Upgrade to Loom II...and get the Tapestry expansion for free". Seriously, is it really ok to write that in an ad?

It's closer to "or don't upgrade to Loom II...and get the Tapestry expansion for free".

Jeez, you can get the Tapestry expansion for free without even bothering to buy either version of Loom.
zzz00m
KVRian

567 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

I really like Loom. It makes additive synthesis readily available, and can create some sounds that you will not get with subtractive synths.

But, while 500 new patches and some additions to the sound design capabilities are nice, I am a bit underwhelmed that this is marketed as a 2.0 release. I would have like to see that as a free 1.9 release or something...

For a full paid point upgrade, it should have taken the following into account.

I would like to see:

1. re-order of modules capability
2. re-scalable UI
3. a few more voices, 16 would be plenty for this synth - I will still worry about long releases with 8 voices
4. enhanced patch browser with search and tagging
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
aMUSEd
KVRAF

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

starflakeprj wrote:"Upgrade to Loom II...and get the Tapestry expansion for free". Seriously, is it really ok to write that in an ad?

Really? Well if they are using my free bank to sell their upgrade I don't know what to think. Maybe I should get a better discount lol
zzz00m
KVRian

567 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:34 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

aMUSEd wrote:

Really? Well if they are using my free bank to sell their upgrade I don't know what to think. Maybe I should get a better discount lol

Tapestry is cool! I got that with Loom 1 ... :tu:
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
aMUSEd
KVRAF

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

Well thanks - I really made it because I wasn't happy with the factory patches :)
shonky
KVRist

430 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Postby shonky; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

aMUSEd wrote:

Weren't they doing the same thing with some of Che's patches for Hybrid 3 the other month?

"Free expansion packs now also free with purchase"
plexuss
KVRian

1453 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Postby plexuss; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

If AIR wants a revenue stream, why not crowd source for upgrades. Use Loom II as the prototype/proof of concept and then crowd source for the features we want. Get with the modern age instead of doing what all the other dead and dying companies do which is deny the changes the internet has brought. using the traditional update strategy seems to be failing for many plugin companies. will they? probably not.

[ up here in canada, Sears just declared insolvency and the media companies are all freatking out - they are just not getting with the program and think they can do business they way they've done all along. a recipe for disaster ]
ThomasHelzle
KVRAF

4782 posts since 9 Dec, 2008, from Berlin

Postby ThomasHelzle; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm Re: Loom II has landed!

shonky wrote:Weren't they doing the same thing with some of Che's patches for Hybrid 3 the other month?
"Free expansion packs now also free with purchase"

Yeah, found that rather strange as well...
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there."
Rumi

ScreenDream | Thomas Helzle
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments