Software synth similar to Waldorf Blofeld?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I rather like the sounds produced here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfosO1Y0nds

Is there a soft synth that could produce similar sounds?

Thanks

double post
Last edited by Sound Mechanics on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sorry , trying to delete but keep double posting :dog:

The obvious answer would be Waldorf Largo, but that should already be known to you I guess?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Waldorf Largo. IMO (i had a Blofeld for a few days here, and compared), they sound 98% similar. According to the dev, Wolfram Franke, both sound engines are very similar, if not the same, for the most part. The features are mostly the same too, see this article, and schematic, for the differences: https://modulatethis.com/2011/07/23/wal ... s-blofeld/

Look at the patch names...they give you an idea of the sounds they are trying to emulate...then look for a VST or two that does those sounds. (Mostly analogue tyoe stuff, fairly generic too)

Diva and Dune2 spring to mind for a wider range, with more specific ones from Arturia etc, such as Matrix, Prophet, and not forgetting uhe RePro1 and synapse Legend.

I'd say Diva is prob your best bet tho, it has a ton of these patches.

As said before Waldorf Largo is 98% a software version of the Blofeld.

But that soundset tries to get into typical analog synth territory and Largo/Blofeld are rather digital in their character, so look up for Diva.
dedication to flying

Had a blofeld, sold it, because of largo. Sound 99% the same (to my ears/in a mix).

If you don't want Largo for some reason, NI Massive has a very similar architecture.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Hemmick Reef wrote:I rather like the sounds produced here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfosO1Y0nds

Is there a soft synth that could produce similar sounds?

Thanks
Yes Largo can cover most everything of Blofeld but it doesn't have similar presets. There are no such presets like in the video.

With Diva + Largo you would have Super Blofeld ;)
Massive is also an excellent addition to the two above.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll check Largo but from the videos and sound samples it doesn't seem to have the punch and powerful sound like Blofeld?

I'm wanting more form Largo in the videos I've watched :?

But Blofeld seems to :o

Blofeld sound reminds me a little Cakewalk Z3ta 1/2. It just has that "cold" airy and gritty sound.

But i think the closest alternative to it would Synthmaster 2.8. Its punchy and digital (but also can sound analog like). Also it has a good price :)

By comparison, Largo cannot load samples, or have custom user wavetables, or the PPG filter. That's a decent amount of additional synthesis power available on the Blo, which can make it sound totally different to Largo :)

How about the general punchiness or thickness in the sound, can hey both sound the same or could you always pick the hardware over the software?

The main difference between the two is the PPG filter, which is missing in Largo. Most of everything else is very close (if not similar). Personally, I prefer the blofeld because mainly of the many presets (about 1000). There are some excellent presets in blofeld and it is easy to navigate (relatively) as there are Category Filter knob (off, init, Arp, Atmo, Bass, Drum, FX, Keys, Lead, Mono, Pad, Perc, Poly and Seq) I wish that Largo has something like that for all the presets. Largo has awful presets browser and not as good quality presets as Blofeld.

If you can afford a blofeld, it is better to buy this one, but there is no VST to use with like in Virus for example (you need to buy 3rd party one). I have the Keyboard version and I love it. It has been more than one year I think and it is excellent for the price, can't find something like it in the market (for the price).

Anyway, don't think it can compete with Diva in analogish pads, although it has some few good ones ("50's Pad" is a great pad for example ;) ) It also has a different character than Massive (which is also a great synth and on the same level). You can achieve similar results with Largo, but you need to spend a considerable time to design such presets.

Return to “Instruments”