Tone2 Icarus 1.6 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Caine123 wrote:Is there also a random function?
Not sure what you mean... there is a "create a random patch" option. There are also random options as modulation sources.

pdxindy wrote:Only had a couple hours to play with the new update, but am impressed with the sounds I am getting. Some really beautiful FM stuff...
+1. I really like the waveshaping to osc as well. Some awesome textures are possible with that.

exmatproton wrote: New effect: 'Stereo Width' allows to spread the panorama from mono to surround
What does surround mean here? Iirc Icarus has only one stereo output, so it's not like surround in Absynth or Kontakt? I assume it's just a regular stereo widener. :neutral:

More FM is always cool :party:

I'm still not sure if Icarus may add something to my setup which is not covered by Virus TI and Serum but it is nice to see it being developed.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
exmatproton wrote: New effect: 'Stereo Width' allows to spread the panorama from mono to surround
What does surround mean here? Iirc Icarus has only one stereo output, so it's not like surround in Absynth or Kontakt? I assume it's just a regular stereo widener. :neutral:

I'm still not sure if Icarus may add something to my setup which is not covered by Virus TI and Serum but it is nice to see it being developed.
Maybe surround encoding? ..hehe nah. It is just a stereo-maker (slight delay on 1, both or the other side).

Hmmmm....it doesn't sound like a 'normal' width knob. The knob at 200% deletes the center channel completely,,interesting.

Caine123 wrote:Drag and drop samples would be cool.
You can drag & drop samples onto the different OSC´s from the Explorer (Windows user). You only have to set the OSC synthesis mode to 'sample'.

recursive one wrote:

Icarus and Serum are sonically quite different even though they are both wavetable synths. Icarus can do a wide range of timbres and sounds you could not do in Serum.

3 held and released notes... using the new FM morph mode.

https://draigathar.org/sounds/Icarus9.mp3

pdxindy wrote:3 held and released notes... using the new FM morph mode.

Cool texture but I think I'm hearing some "plastic" quality in the sound which doesn't sit well with me. Similar to Dune2 a bit.

Thanks anyway, i just thought it would be cool if someone posted an example of the new FM stuff.

Icarus is definitely on the softer side, like Dune 2 also. Not quite as much though. :)

recursive one wrote:
pdxindy wrote:3 held and released notes... using the new FM morph mode.

Cool texture but I think I'm hearing some "plastic" quality in the sound which doesn't sit well with me. Similar to Dune2 a bit.

Thanks anyway, i just thought it would be cool if someone posted an example of the new FM stuff.
yeah somehow the sound doesnt convince me much to buy it atm, create random patch crashes fl studio.

out of curiosity, which synths do you think are not "plastic" sounding? serious question.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

IMO, "plastic" isn't generally bad. I'd call Spire plastic too, just more robust, and punchy.

Something less "plastic", hmm.... maybe Diva.

Caine123 wrote: out of curiosity, which synths do you think are not "plastic" sounding? serious question.
Diva, Bazille, Virus, Rapid, Sylenth ... lots of them.

it's easier to name the "plastic" ones :)

Another example using the new FM mode...

https://draigathar.org/sounds/Icarus10.mp3

chk071 wrote:IMO, "plastic" isn't generally bad. I'd call Spire plastic too, just more robust, and punchy.
Shame that Tone2 forgot to add "more robustness" in this update :D

recursive one wrote:
Caine123 wrote: out of curiosity, which synths do you think are not "plastic" sounding? serious question.
Diva, Bazille, Virus, Rapid, Sylenth ... lots of them.

it's easier to name the "plastic" ones :)
yeah diva is also for me very warm synth sounding! sylenth1 i dunno, somehow a bit thin for me.
i dont have RAPID (yet), i wait for ANA 2!

i have to use dune 2 again, i remember it was very warm sounding too.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”