Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

so interesting to hear this synth inside the OSC challenge this month. 38 different sound designers giving this beast a work-over and you really get a sense of the instruments' "sound" this way.
really fun stuff !
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Free-running LFOs don't work and just re-trigger while you set the amp envelope decay time to zero.

or am I missing something - set the LFO to mono mode?

wickfut wrote:just tried to buy this but the site appears to be down.. is it just me or is it down for everyone?

You can check that here:

http://isup.me

And you can always access Dmitry's website through Google cache. The 'Buy' button works ;)

ZeePok wrote:
wickfut wrote:just tried to buy this but the site appears to be down.. is it just me or is it down for everyone?

You can check that here:

http://isup.me

And you can always access Dmitry's website through Google cache. The 'Buy' button works ;)
I don't think buying something from a website which is currently down is a good idea as it might go a bit tits up and you have nobody left to contact.

also the pdf manual downloads from the site seem to be working fine, so it looks like the main site was taken down on purpose.

Oh nevermind.. it's the FM/RM knob. Literally the last thing I tried.. :lol:

--- original, lame post below ---

Maybe this has been covered, but.. OSC 3's FM and RM settings, don't seem to be connected to anything.

The manual states that: "NoiseOSC is a modulator for OSC3"

Which.. it isn't. But, I can't really see how that could work anyway.. given the nature of the Noise OSC's basic design.

I'm thinking that in Thorn's early development, there was some actual form of control of OSC 3's FM and RM.. that didn't make it to the final product. And.. maybe Dmitry just didn't get around to removing those options from the 3rd OSC.

Am I right? or am I totally missing something?.. like the ability to make LFO 1&2 run "free". That was sorta tricky (it's Phase/MONO). :P

progtronic wrote:Oh nevermind.. it's the FM/RM knob. Literally the last thing I tried.. :lol:

--- original, lame post below ---

Maybe this has been covered, but.. OSC 3's FM and RM settings, don't seem to be connected to anything.

The manual states that: "NoiseOSC is a modulator for OSC3"

Which.. it isn't. But, I can't really see how that could work anyway.. given the nature of the Noise OSC's basic design.

I'm thinking that in Thorn's early development, there was some actual form of control of OSC 3's FM and RM.. that didn't make it to the final product. And.. maybe Dmitry just didn't get around to removing those options from the 3rd OSC.

Am I right? or am I totally missing something?.. like the ability to make LFO 1&2 run "free". That was sorta tricky (it's Phase/MONO). :P
As far as I remember, you can load samples into the noise oscillator, and these can be looped so potentially you could use single cycle waveforms or percussion hits as FM/RM sources. Haven't tried it myself but give it a go and see if it works I guess.

^ Yes, you can use the Noise oscillator in an FM/RM scenario to modulate Osc3. But only Osc3.

Would be cool if the Noise OSC had the same OSCFX selector and knob as the other OSC's.. minus the FM/RM options of course.

Fitting it into that tiny space, would be tricky though. The Loop and Key buttons would have to be redesigned to make it fit I think.

Anyway.. I can dream. :D

(here's a bad photoshop.. still dreaming.. :P )
thorn_noise-osc_tweak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There is something clearly special about what Mr. Sches is doing with his vst's. He listens to us, our issues, updates to fix, makes better....you can't beat that with a pipe wrench.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

He's got great competition - Urs from U-He. :tu: Everybody has. Currently U-he is leading the pack IMHO. That's only a good thing.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

After trying the demo, after 20 minutes i felt damn high. Such a great tonalities I can get so easily from this synth. Bought.

Malwarebytes blocks my access to the site...

DuX wrote:He's got great competition - Urs from U-He. :tu: Everybody has. Currently U-he is leading the pack IMHO. That's only a good thing.
Amen to that!

fluffy_little_something wrote:Malwarebytes blocks my access to the site...
Run the url through VirusTotal and see what result it returns.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/url

------
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

DuX wrote:He's got great competition - Urs from U-He. :tu: Everybody has. Currently U-he is leading the pack IMHO. That's only a good thing.
Completely different products IMO.

Return to “Instruments”