Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
sqigls
KVRAF

3024 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:00 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Thorn is great for me.
I just want Tun/Scala file import, MIDI program change.
killmaster
KVRian

820 posts since 4 Oct, 2003

Postby killmaster; Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

sqigls wrote:Thorn is great for me.
I just want Tun/Scala file import, MIDI program change.

+1 soon
MPE one day please
Tj Shredder
KVRian

769 posts since 6 Jan, 2017, from Outer Space

Postby Tj Shredder; Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

killmaster wrote:MPE one day please

+100
brick
KVRian

661 posts since 11 Dec, 2003

Postby brick; Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Would anyone happen to know the directory path for the Thorn presets on Windows ?
wagtunes
KVRAF

12611 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

brick wrote:Would anyone happen to know the directory path for the Thorn presets on Windows ?

It's in My Documents under his name.
brick
KVRian

Postby brick; Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:57 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Cheers Wagtunes , would you happen to have the full path please ?

I dont own a Windows machine and need the exact path .
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

brick wrote:Cheers Wagtunes , would you happen to have the full path please ?

I dont own a Windows machine and need the exact path .

C:\Users\user\Documents\Dmitry Sches\Thorn\Plug-In Presets

There are other folders in the Thorn folder as well and also other folders in Plug-In Presets.

Maybe if you tell me why you need such detailed info, I can be of more assistance. If it's to build some kind of installer, you'll need to be more specific as far as where you want things to go.
brick
KVRian

Postby brick; Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Many thanks Wagtunes :tu:

I need the path for installing a soundset .
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:21 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

brick wrote:Many thanks Wagtunes :tu:

Gotcha. Just unzip it and put the presets in the Plug-in Presets folder. Inside you'll find the factory presets and any other soundsets you installed that might have had the info programmed into the installation.
layzer
KVRAF

5330 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:36 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

wagtunes wrote:
brick wrote:Many thanks Wagtunes :tu:

Gotcha. Just unzip it and put the presets in the Plug-in Presets folder. Inside you'll find the factory presets and any other soundsets you installed that might have had the info programmed into the installation.

one of the other practices devs do that is annoying as FK besides
using an installer. whats wrong with just keeping the patches
in the same folder as the VST. no better instant gratification
than dropping a folder with a dll and patches from one place to another
to move/install a vst synth :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
Teksonik
KVRAF

12336 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

layzer wrote:whats wrong with just keeping the patches in the same folder as the VST.

Because if you have hundreds or thousands of patches they will clog your VST folder. Some DAWs do a scan of your VST folder on start up. Does having those thousands of extra files slow down the scan ? Why bother finding out ?

With everything in My Documents you can back up Patches much easier. So in other words, please no patches in my VST Folder. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tapiodmitriyevich
KVRist

271 posts since 15 Jan, 2017, from 127.0.0.1

Postby tapiodmitriyevich; Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Teksonik wrote:
layzer wrote:whats wrong with just keeping the patches in the same folder as the VST.

Because if you have hundreds or thousands of patches they will clog your VST folder. Some DAWs do a scan of your VST folder on start up. Does having those thousands of extra files slow down the scan ? Why bother finding out ?

With everything in My Documents you can back up Patches much easier. So in other words, please no patches in my VST Folder. :wink:

Also, on a decent system the production/user scope has no elevated (administrator) privileges - the plugin, which runs in a user context, then has (and this is perfectly fine) no writing access on the VST folder, which is typically under "%programfiles%.

"My Documents" vs. "%appdata%" is debatable btw. IMO devs (often game devs) put too much of their settings stuff into documents folder, which creates a mess. Where they should have used %appdata%. But hey.
Toddskins
KVRer

17 posts since 16 Aug, 2008, from St. Louis, MO

Postby Toddskins; Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

sqigls wrote:There are at least 2 things really bothering me...

EVERY TIME i touch a control on Thorn (many of them anyway), it drops the MIDI note, so if i'm programming a subtle change, it can take so long... but i think it's more from the drop-down boxes maybe?... changing an oscillator type and so forth, just kills the audio, it's really killing the right-brain vibe, especially on PADS!! need to wait ages for the next MIDI note... makes it real hard to A/B stuff.

and NEED a proper mix control for the distortion module. The POST filters should NOT affect the dry sound. OR we need a low/hi PRE MIX filter that is exactly the same as the POST filters. It's really starting to bother me, SO OFTEN I get a great distortion sound, perfect tone, but it needs to be blended back maybe 50% with the dry, but it's not possible. Very frustrating.

I also feel the Harmonic Filter needs a MIX control too, PLEASE PLEASE with sugar on top!!

That reminds me of a good suggestion for a Compare button (or key-binding) that all my hardware synths have. Compare your changes with the original preset.

I just bought Thorn yesterday and have been reading all the posts and watching videos on it before I even get around to reading the Owner's Manual, but a quick search in the Manual for a "Compare" button showed no result.
Last edited by Toddskins on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Toddskins
KVRer

Postby Toddskins; Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:45 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

sqigls wrote:can anyone else access the DS website? it's been down for a day or two.

I've noticed from reading that his website has had issues since Thorn was first released back in mid-October, 2017, and it was for me too, yesterday. It happened to me when clicking a hyperlink from a reviewer that included additional pages (i.e. .... /products/thorn). I got the error page.

What worked for me, just out of curiosity, was to type the URL "dmitrysches.com" into my Chrome browser, without any of the pages that follow. That brought up the site fine and then I clicked on the other pages and they loaded fine.
Toddskins
KVRer

Postby Toddskins; Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:13 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Minor bug I discovered.

In order for the LOCK to work in the modules Glitch, Arp, Fx, and Mod Matrix, you must turn the lock on by clicking the icon itself in their respective "blue" colored rectangular buttons.

You cannot turn the lock on via the right-click of your mouse on the little yellow buttons and then selecting the word on the menu list.

If you do it via right-click select method on the word "lock", the icon lock will not turn on, even though you now have a checkmark next to the word "lock", and your settings will get lost when changing sound presets.

Interestingly, the checkmark does go on & off for each press of the lock icon, but it does not work in reverse.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments