Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

sqigls wrote:
SLiC wrote:It’s just 69 bucks on AudioDeluxe - I cracked and bought it....not for the sound so much (although it sounds great, so do many of the synths I own) more for the workflow (love the 1 page layout and scaling, as a bonus works great on a MS Surface) and the arp/glitch sequencer make it almost a little groove box, great song starter. The built in presets don't do it justice and its really easy to make patches and get great sounds from it...well worth the money.
and just for the record, for the non-native English speakers "cracked" here means "couldn't resist and gave-in to temptation", and not the other one :P
:D

Thanks for the clarification on the colloquium!

"couldn't resist and gave-in to temptation" is exactly right, despite demoing when it came out, desiding I had the sonic ground covered and deleting...that price (£50) is right on the money (litteraly) for a spur of the moment weekend purcase (followed by 'Serene Galaxy' Soundest for a tenner).

I am sure the synth is worth more, but it takes a great price point or something totaly new or outstanding to make me jump now-a-days.....like many people, I have so much from so many sales in the past!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

i recently picked this synth up (mainly because of this thread...). Didn't need it. Had enough synths. Didn't feel i was missing anything, needed to downsize if anything...but the UI looked cool and i liked the presets. Actually, i didn't like the presets, but there was a sound there that kept me from sleeping the night i demo'd it.

i love this synth. It's becoming my favorite in the short time i've been using it...it's a real joy to program something from scratch in a way i just don't have with my other synths, and i can get something i want very quickly. It combines a lot of the things i love most from other synths like Zebra, Serum, Massive and Hive and it's great to work with. i also like that every time i try to get a traditional VA sound out of it it just pulls me into some alien direction instead, resulting in a much less generic sound. It's got its own thing going on.

i'm still getting my head around the harmonic filter, and i feel like it's not quite as easy for me to coax a good lower-mid thickness and high-end sizzle to my sounds the way i can in Zebra or Serum.

i've spent all week working with this synth and just had to shamelessly gush here about it.

Something is broken: modulating the parameter “Mod Matrix Depth 01-27“ doesn't work, neither in the AU nor in the VST version of the plug-in. Also “LFO ENV1/2“ are not mentioned in the manual and other then a fast glissando at the beginning of each note they don't produce any other modulation data it seems. When using long samples in the noise oscillator, the whole plug-in gets laggy and often stalls, in LogicX and Cubase that is. And sometimes MSEG2 runs out of sync with the other modulators.

I forgot some issues: sample loop points embedded in a wav sample (e.g. using Wavelab) are ignored by Thorn, it simply loops the entire sample when “Loop“ is engaged. Assigning a mono LFO to any FX parameter produces an audible glitch at the beginning of each note although it's supposed to be a free-running LFO (works as expected when assigned to filter, amplitude whatever). And there are more parameters/modulation targets in the matrix which can not be modulated.
Conclusion: this synth needs an update.

A short breeze of Thorn made with 3 instances and some volume automation in one of the instances:

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... -for-thorn

Did you submit a support request for the issues you found? Seems like it might be worth contacting Dmitry directly about them rather than just posting in this thread.

I came across the same bugs when making my soundset. Dmitry is aware that Matrix Modulation slots cannot be modulated with lfo's or envelopes. For instance, one cannot assign an lfo to mod matrix 1 amount, nor can one assign this same parameter to the MW.

Dmitry is probably the most kind and responsive dev's I've ever met. We've exchanged atleast a 100 emails and he never seems to get tired of responding to wishlists and or bug reports. Most importantly, he will fix them asap or add new features if he also likes them. Being able to rename the embedded samples in Diversion is thanks to me :hihi:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Could a one of you Windows users please confirm that this is the correct path to install Thorn patches:

C:\Users\[User Name] \“My Documents“\Dmitry Sches\Thorn\Plug-In Presets

Thanks in advance.

That's correct. :tu: Even though "My Documents" is Documents, without Anführungsstriche.

The path on my laptop, for example: C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Dmitry Sches\Thorn\Plug-In Presets

chk071 wrote:That's correct. :tu: Even though "My Documents" is Documents, without Anführungsstriche.

The path on my laptop, for example: C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Dmitry Sches\Thorn\Plug-In Presets
Thank you!

For anyone interested in some fresh Thorn sounds, I released my first Thorn soundset earlier today, check it out here.

Hi. I am in with this synth and I like it's layout and sonically strange possibilities. For such a relatively "small" synth it seems to be very versatile.

Dmitry is so kind and friendly and he is totally responsive. That's simply great!

I have these questions maybe one of you can answer:
e.g. FM-modulating OSC1 by OSC2 (setting both OSCs to "on" and taking out OSC2 of the filter routing. I find it strange that changing volume of OSC2 has absolutely no impact on the modulation itself. Only the FM amount parameter of OSC1 has an impact.
That means that there cannot be a FM-modulation over time with putting an envelope on OSCs 2 volume. But that's a typical form of building interesting FM effects. Did I miss something here?

OSC1 has a FM parameter too and I think it's for FM-ing itself. Is that true?

Using the different noise types I only could make them run as a one shot sample and not as a constant signal. Did I miss the trick here?

I like the synth foremost for its cool filters, generally and the harmonic filter, the combination with the repeater and the possibility to draw everything by your own. Reminds me on Mario Paint :hihi:

A joyful modulation to you.

nichttuntun wrote: I have these questions maybe one of you can answer:
e.g. FM-modulating OSC1 by OSC2 (setting both OSCs to "on" and taking out OSC2 of the filter routing. I find it strange that changing volume of OSC2 has absolutely no impact on the modulation itself. Only the FM amount parameter of OSC1 has an impact.
That means that there cannot be a FM-modulation over time with putting an envelope on OSCs 2 volume. But that's a typical form of building interesting FM effects. Did I miss something here?

OSC1 has a FM parameter too and I think it's for FM-ing itself. Is that true?
1) You can link an envelope to the FM knob to get FM sweeps.

2) In Thorn CM OSC1 FM knob is the level of OSC2 to OSC1 modulation and OSC2 FM knob is the level of the noise-osc to OSC2 fmod.
In this case the noise output level does have an impact.

Thank you. Yes of course that's possible. I got the full version and I couldn't find a connection between noise amount and FM parameter in OSC2. I still think OSC2 is FM-ing itself when FM amount is turned up but I'm not sure. Anyway it's more important to me how it's sounding than knowing the exact math behind it :)

It's like this. In the full version the noise sampler is modulating the OSC3 FM. And in the versions with only 2 OSCs, noise actual controls the FM of OSC2.

Have a joyful modulation.

Return to “Instruments”