Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't know, else I would not have asked :dog:
I think you can use any instrument to make any kind of music, if you want to make electronic music with a synth like Thorn I guess that is doable, it will not become a thorn in your side :D

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't know, else I would not have asked :dog:
I think you can use any instrument to make any kind of music, if you want to make electronic music with a synth like Thorn I guess that is doable, it will not become a thorn in your side :D
More like thorn in your eyes, it seems :hihi:

Sure, judging from the audio it is clear that it does electronic music well. But I am not interested in that, but in other genres, you know, emulating brass sections, electric bass etc. :hihi:

(Just checked my traffic, still got 16GB left until the 23rd, so I will download it after all. Still, why is it such a big file? Does it contain samples?)
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:More like thorn in your eyes, it seems :hihi:
Indeed :D

Just to throw something else in. While Using the Wave Editor Live 9.7 has crashed a few times now. I suppose this should be expected since the synth is so young and stuffs bound to slip by in Beta. But just throwing this out there, Currently Testing in my other daws (Reaper and FL) to see if they crash too.
Last edited by Impodiam on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+1 for a size between normal and large. It seems like it's a 100% increase in size for each of the size options. A 50% increase would be better.

Love the glitch-effect in Thorn. Could also wish this was added to Diversion.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

fluffy_little_something wrote:Still, why is it such a big file? Does it contain samples?)
~5 MB noise and percussion samples.

The 302MB Mac version ie. expands to :

65M Thorn AAX.pkg
64M Thorn Audio Unit.pkg
36M Thorn Data.pkg
64M Thorn VST3.pkg
64M Thorn VST.pkg
11M User Manual.pkg

Oh, all formats in one file, no wonder...

twolegstoneworks wrote:+1 for a size between normal and large. It seems like it's a 100% increase in size for each of the size options. A 50% increase would be better.
+1 on the size. Normal seems too small on a 1080P screen, large too big (doesn't fit)

+1 on the size here also.
Very nice GUI and feature set ! :love:

exmatproton wrote:
twolegstoneworks wrote:+1 for a size between normal and large. It seems like it's a 100% increase in size for each of the size options. A 50% increase would be better.
+1 on the size. Normal seems too small on a 1080P screen, large too big (doesn't fit)
As I said many pages ago, the sizes do not match common screen sizes. The large (or a new size) needs to fit on a 1200 px high screen (there is an awful lot of those around) and it doesn't and the problem gets worse as you go up.

I have a memory that there was an issue with Tantra long ago along common screen size lines.

Haven't tested this yet, no time, but I just wanted to say that the GUI looks so pretty. Very inspiring. An example of a skeuomorphic design done right, that is, no fake 3D 'at an angle' knob design here. 'thumbs up'.
Last edited by himalaya on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Nick Moritz's Voger Design

Nice I have to play catch up 7 pages of info after being off a for 6 hours lol.

lnikj wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
As I said many pages ago, the sizes do not match common screen sizes. The large (or a new size) needs to fit on a 1200 px high screen (there is an awful lot of those around) and it doesn't and the problem gets worse as you go up.

I have a memory that there was an issue with Tantra long ago along common screen size lines.
Actually - Just did a check between Diversion and Thorn - and Thorn is actually close to the same size as Diversion in Normal mode. But the big difference is that the text in Diversion is super sharp whereas in Thorn the text seems more pixeled.

Anyway, I'm sure Dmitry will fix this.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Just downloaded this. No GUI issues but Im on 2 x 27" 1920*1200.
Moving on. It's an interesting synth and certainly a lot going for it. I've only tinkered around with it for 4 mins, but managed to get some interesting sounds.

A couple of observation with the Msegs, draggin the modulation to the controls ie Filter, woudl like to see some animation on the modulated target *unless Im missing something.

Liking the harmonic controls and options.

Not sure I need thsi with Diversion, Serum, etc in the rig, but at the intro price will be hard to resist. Nice sound, nice work....going tro dig some more when the nipper's are asleep :)

Return to “Instruments”