Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
W23
KVRist

166 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby W23; Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 am Anyone still use Metasynth?

I found some of the videos intriguing, to say the least. I noticed the website says that OSX Sierra compatibility is being evaluated. Sierra has been out for a while. Does anyone succesfully operate Metasynth with Sierra as an OS? I have a 2015 MBP, and am not even sure about installing the demo to see if it works. The website is looking a little dusty but, it seems to get a lot of positive feedback from those who use it
Winstontaneous
KVRian

1347 posts since 14 Feb, 2006, from Berkeley, CA

Postby Winstontaneous; Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 am Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Works for me in Sierra. MetaSynth is definitely its own world, great if you are comfortable with rendering everything as audio (vs. "everything as editable MIDI until final mix" mindset). Has the sweetest-sounding additive synthesis I've heard, though I haven't tried everything on the market.

SampleConstruct (Simon Stockhausen) has done a lot of interesting stuff with it over the years, but given his talent/lineage and excellent demos of other software, that's not surprising.
W23
KVRist

Postby W23; Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 am Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Cool! I'll give the demo a try. I figure if I need more control in a DAW, I'd just throw some Metasynth wav files into Ableton's Sampler. I hear that discounts are fairly common of you get on their mailing list
V0RT3X
KVRAF

6917 posts since 3 Jul, 2012, from Canada

Postby V0RT3X; Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:15 pm Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Winstontaneous wrote:Works for me in Sierra. MetaSynth is definitely its own world, great if you are comfortable with rendering everything as audio (vs. "everything as editable MIDI until final mix" mindset). Has the sweetest-sounding additive synthesis I've heard, though I haven't tried everything on the market.

SampleConstruct (Simon Stockhausen) has done a lot of interesting stuff with it over the years, but given his talent/lineage and excellent demos of other software, that's not surprising.

I'm having the occasional random errors running the registered 5.4 version on Sierra. It never used to crash when I was on El Capitan and the other versions before it.

I know they are looking into Sierra compatibility, so hopefully they get it running solid. Hopefully Apple hasn't changed so much in the latest version of OSX that it makes it next to impossible to update for the single programmer of Metasynth.
morphex
KVRist

344 posts since 29 Oct, 2003, from Pacific NW, USA

Postby morphex; Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:56 pm Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

I'm still using an older iMac with Mac OS 10.9.4 on it for older programs such as Metasynth. It may not be totally up to date but it's really stable and that suits me just fine. I would certainly encourage someone curious about Metasynth to look into it. I love the sound quality but it can be a different environment to work in and that may mean investing some time. You definitely get out what you put in.

- M
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

14024 posts since 12 Oct, 2008, from Here and there

Postby Sampleconstruct; Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:01 pm Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Funny, every 2 years a new KVR-thread is born named "anybody still use Metasynth".

I still use it frequently as there is nothing like it out there, the graphics are bad, everything looks outdated, especially on 4 k screens and Thunderbolt monitors but that doesn't affect the sound.

This video experiment made 2 years ago sums up how I most often use it, quoting the video description here:

MetaSynth experiment: resynthesizing some bar chimes, then playing back the resynthesized data with flute textures (samples) from my sound library Aureus Ventus (HALion 5), then filtering the result with some custom images made with ArtMatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C01Sp-k ... A7t2nTyp2v

More experiments in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX95imy ... A7t2nTyp2v
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

Postby Sampleconstruct; Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:02 pm Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Winstontaneous wrote:SampleConstruct (Simon Stockhausen) has done a lot of interesting stuff with it over the years, but given his talent/lineage and excellent demos of other software, that's not surprising.

Thanks for the praise :phones:
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

Postby Sampleconstruct; Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:03 pm Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

And by the way, Metasynth works fine here on Sierra (10.12.6).
W23
KVRist

Postby W23; Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 am Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

I just downloaded the demo, dinked around with it for about 10 minutes and crashed it. Lol! I'll play around with it a few more times to see if that was just an anomaly, or something else. I don't have the fastest MBP (i5, 2.7ghz, dual core), and VERY occasionally Ableton Live will crash the first time I introduce a new plugin. This is a different animal, I know.
espiegel123
KVRist

78 posts since 12 Aug, 2009

Postby espiegel123; Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:08 am Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Hi,

Unfortunately, some people encounter stability issues under Sierra and High Sierra with MetaSynth. The instruments' waveform editor seems to be a source of problems for some people. There is a lot of variability in terms of how stable it is under these OS versions. These problems seem at their core due to changes to some legacy OS calls that MetaSynth relies on and there isn't a quick fix.

We are working on a major overhaul of the application framework upon which MetaSynth and Xx are built in order to eliminate reliance on legacy OS calls. It is a pretty major task, and we aren't sure how long it will take to complete the transition to the new code base.

Best,
Edward (one of the guys at U&I Software)
Neon Breath
KVRAF

2819 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Postby Neon Breath; Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:20 am Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

espiegel123 wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately, some people encounter stability issues under Sierra and High Sierra with MetaSynth. The instruments' waveform editor seems to be a source of problems for some people. There is a lot of variability in terms of how stable it is under these OS versions. These problems seem at their core due to changes to some legacy OS calls that MetaSynth relies on and there isn't a quick fix.

We are working on a major overhaul of the application framework upon which MetaSynth and Xx are built in order to eliminate reliance on legacy OS calls. It is a pretty major task, and we aren't sure how long it will take to complete the transition to the new code base.

Best,
Edward (one of the guys at U&I Software)

Hello Edward

Thanks for the update.

Metasynth user and lover here. Will this overhaul also include a global revamp & update of the graphics & GUI as well? I agree with Sampleconstruct, a very unique software but its age is cruelly starting to show and feel when using it.
XComposer
KVRist

157 posts since 18 Aug, 2006, from Italy

Postby XComposer; Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:20 pm Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Hi,

another Metasynth big fan here, waiting to update to High Sierra (from El Capitan) mainly because I'm worried about possible Metasynth problems. No problem so far, I will wait, but, in any case, I'm very happy to read that you are really working on it: thank you very much for your work on this wonderful unique software.
www.GKweb.it
Mac, OS X 10.11, Logic Pro X
Krakatau
KVRAF

5438 posts since 24 May, 2002, from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Postby Krakatau; Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:06 am Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

XComposer wrote: thank you very much for your work on this wonderful unique software.

+1

:tu: :hail: :hail: :hail:
V0RT3X
KVRAF

6917 posts since 3 Jul, 2012, from Canada

Postby V0RT3X; Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:53 pm Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Well I had a second go with Metasynth after I upgraded my rig to High Sierra and it seems to work ok.

Track below used Metasynth.

https://soundcloud.com/vortexatkvr/metasynth-wastes
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael L
KVRAF

2311 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit

Postby Michael L; Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:40 pm Re: Anyone still use Metasynth?

Does anyone have Galbanum Architecture Vol 1 for Metasynth that they bought way back when it was a DVD? For a while it has been download-only, but is missing five files in the folder:
Filter Food Samples/Drones
AM Complex, FM Complex, FM Deep Space, FM Harsh, and FM WS Harsh

FYI, they are audio files of harsh/bright/atonal spectrums to be used with the Image Filter for subtractive synthesis, and in the download they are only unlinked Alias files.

Andrew, the Galbanum developer, no longer has the original DVD. If you do have those five files in your DVD, could you email them to Andrew (shop@galbanum.com) and PM me, to complete the download version?
Thanks.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments