Old, tired, and frustrated.. (Orchestra SW Content)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all, brand-new here, could use some experienced advice.

I've looked at (and listened to) so many orchestral software offerings in the last few weeks, I think my head risks explosion... :cry: :lol:

After boiling it down, with all the usual constraints (budget, learning curve, upgrade options, transferability/selling (or not) options, etc etc...well...

I've come to a fork in the road. Do I buy an intro-based option like Albion One or Berlin Inspire? (the only two within my budget for an 'all-in-one' solution that sounds realistic to my ears)...please let me know if I'm missing something...
Or do I jump head-first into something like VSL SE Core bundle, or an even more expensive Spitfire Symphony suite?

What about an East West subscription? ... the more expensive diamond equivalent?

While we're at it, both EW and VSL are rather old, are there new features that something like Spitfire offers that could tip the scales?

BTW: A usual question in these threads is: "What do you intend to do with this software?" My answer is "Anything and everything" (within reason) Including possible soundtracks.

Anyway, kind of grasping with this thread I know, but any insight/experience, cautionary advice, even possible 'buyer's remorse' would go a long way in helping me with this decision... 8)

Cheers
-Steve
Is that a real Poncho? I mean, is that a Mexican Poncho? Or is that a Sears Poncho? ...hmmm...no fooling...-FZ

If you're seriously considering soundtrack work.. you're probably gonna need one of the more expensive options. There's going to be a learning curve with any sample library, and Orchestral libraries can be really tricky to get the kind of realism I think you're going for.

I can't recommend any of the higher end options.. because I'm mostly just building up a low budget library of whatever sounds decent. So I pick up a vstbuzz, audioplugin.deal or Kirk Hunter sale whenever I can.

Also, check out the forums at vi-control. The folks over there deal primarily with Orchestral libraries.. and have a lot of knowledge in that regard.

Here's an Orchestral Example of what I've been able to produce on a budget.

I'm a total hack.. but it gets me close enough. :P

Thanks progtronic, much appreciated..

For a 'total hack'...sounds pretty good to me, keep on it.. :tu:

I'll re-post over at VI, but in the meantime, anybody else that has advice on the 'all-in-one' options I mentioned, or the VSL bundle vs EW subscriptions would be fantastic... 8)

Cheers
-Steve
Is that a real Poncho? I mean, is that a Mexican Poncho? Or is that a Sears Poncho? ...hmmm...no fooling...-FZ

Well, when I tried to register at VI ..I got a big ol' 404.. :lol:
So I guess it's here I stay... :wink:

Cheers'-Steve

As an alternative first step, buy a solo instrument and focus on learning to program your controllers to get a realistic sound (e.g. a TEC bite/tilt/breath controller, pedals, keyboard, and a samplemodeling SWAM instrument). It is cheaper ($) and steeper (learning curve):
http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/swam_saxophones.php
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I'm a total hack (unlike Progtronic) but I'm under the impression that most serious soundtrack composers mix and match all of the various libraries. None of them are enough on their own- for example, one might have an amazing solo violin, but it only gets you a brilliant sampled version of one particular violin, so you'll still want others to get different timbres and articulations. With that in mind, you can really start anywhere, knowing that if you're serious about this, you'll be spending a whole lot more money sooner or later. So perhaps an all-in-one is a good place to start.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I have both Project Sams Orchestral Essentials 1 and 2 and find them excellent. Great sounding and in your budget. They are though more combination patches of orchestral instruments playing but there are some solo instruments in both.
You can try them at trysounds
Both orchestral essentials are taken from Project Sams other larger libraries such as synthobia and true strike.
Last edited by Mikelo on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry double thread.

Before buying: ask yourself if you want to resell the library if you aren't satisfied with it anymore or stop making music. Most of the orchestral stuff you can't resell (hello Spitfire Audio et al).
This is a good start: A Basic Guide to Orchestral VSTs https://orchestralvst.wordpress.com/
Note: most of the stuff in that guide is for professional use. It can hardly get any better hence the price tag on most of the libraries. Berlin Strings for 840$ + expansions etc. It all depends on your budget and/or the possible return on investment. A good Kontakt library doesn't make a good musician.

Albion One is ensembles only, no solo instruments in there. But a good start although it can't be resold. If you start creating soundtracks skip the Albion idea and buy dedicated libraries.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Project Sam 's Orchestral Essentials are in budget and can be resold.
Another option, be it a NFR license would be 8Dio Adagietto and or Adagio.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I know people are saying otherwise.. but I really would not recommend PS' Orchestral Essentials. They are really just very overpriced demos IMO.

OE2, in particular.. is an odd assortment of ensembles, that will have very limited use. They contain few multi-samples, limited (if any) velocity switching, round robbins or articulations. Also, a lot of single sample stretching and baked-in ensemble layering.

These products should have been marketed as stripped down instrument demos of their parent products, for $50-$70.. tops.

$329, for demo quality.. is just crazy.

ProjectSAM's full version products, however.. are OK. They still rely on baked-in-layered, ensembles though. Really not a fan of that whole concept. I like to have everything separated and layer things up myself, as needed.

/rant 8)

Vortifex wrote: If you join VI Control just be aware that it's 30% actual industry professionals and 70% hobbyists with more money than sense who treat collecting sample libraries as a hobby in and of itself. They'll tell you to buy everything Spitfire has ever made.
This! Absolutely true. I'm not a big fan of ProjectSAM either. Same goes for 8Dio.

For absolute starters I'd wait for a sale on Kirk Hunter's Diamond Orchestra which was available for 99$ at vstbuzz. Maybe this deal will be available from Kirk's store again.

The problem is noone knows OP's level. For writing soundtracks there's a bit more to buy than just Albion One or Orchestra Essentials.

I would just subscribe to Eastwest cloud and see if I like it and go from there, it is the only cheap way to test this stuff, I think a couple of months would be enough to see if you really get use out of it and how hard is to use this kind of libraries.
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”