Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

stromkraft
KVRer

12 posts since 21 Feb, 2013, from Sweden

Postby stromkraft; Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:05 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

ATS wrote:Bladerunner sequel was amazing. Sad thing is though I believe a lot of people didn't like it. Audiences nowadays are use to a movie holding your hand the whole time. This movie makes you think for yourself and figure out what is going on.

Yes it does.

If audiences didn't like it they sure aren't voting at Imdb. Currently an 8.4 average.
grandmasterbird
KVRist

214 posts since 7 Jan, 2007

Postby grandmasterbird; Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

I used to think Zebra sounded a little tame when it came to writing dance music but then it clicked and I realised that with a little tweaking it can sound as raucous as anything else out there.

I don't think it was made to sound that way from the moment you load it up like a lot of other soft synths. To me it's pretty neutral, and if you want it to sound big, cutting (insert your own subjective take on things here) then you need to steer it to that place with your programming.

Personally I find the xmf filters and ms20 modelled filters help to beef things up, but if you want more tips and pointers then post in the uhe forum, they all seem like nice chaps who would no doubt be happy to help and offer more advice than I could ever hope to!

In my opinion it's an awesome piece of kit and if you put the time in you will reap the rewards
ATS
KVRAF

5293 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from MD USA

Postby ATS; Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:19 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

stromkraft wrote:
ATS wrote:Bladerunner sequel was amazing. Sad thing is though I believe a lot of people didn't like it. Audiences nowadays are use to a movie holding your hand the whole time. This movie makes you think for yourself and figure out what is going on.

Yes it does.

If audiences didn't like it they sure aren't voting at Imdb. Currently an 8.4 average.

You think this movie holds your hand and explains everything to you simply? Are we talking about the same movie? :lol: And yes this movie didn't do as well as everyone though it would at the box office. AND if you didn't see the first one you will have little clue what is really going on and even who or the story behind some of the characters. There are no flashbacks to explain anything before.
Igro
KVRAF

3964 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:47 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

recursive one wrote:
fanodu1 wrote:It does sound more "neutral" than other u-he synths, but I actually think that's a strength because it doesn't sound very obtrusive and that's why it blends so well with other synths.

I think it depends on indivual tastes, chosen genres, mixing approaches etc. I've bought Bazille and Repro this weekend and both already found their place in my current psytrance project. Repro provided pretty nice goa-like lead which easily stands out in a dense arrangement made of various sounds mostly recored from my Virus. Bazille was used for some SFX sounds wich also blend nicely with the Virus and the other synths. On the other hand, when I'm using Zebra I always have troubles to get it sit properly in the mix and often have to use more external processing compared to other synths.

Overall, I have the impression that people who love Zebra are more into more mellow sounding music, like ambient, downtempo, or just pure sound design.

Or those who hates anything that has tons of brilliance, clicky attacks that sound like kicks (lol). Anything that that makes ears ringing...
[For Sale] Synapse Audio EKS Pro 19$, 15£, 17€
stromkraft
KVRer

Postby stromkraft; Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:55 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

ATS wrote:
stromkraft wrote:

Yes it does.

You think this movie holds your hand and explains everything to you simply?

AND if you didn't see the first one you will have little clue what is really going on and even who or the story behind some of the characters. There are no flashbacks to explain anything before.

No, I think this movie "makes you think for yourself and figure out what is going on". The clue is in the quote to which I answered.

What are you talking about? There were more connects to the original than I expected there to be. Nevertheless both Balderunners stand on their own. It's movies and not a TV-serie.
Last edited by stromkraft on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATS
KVRAF

5293 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from MD USA

Postby ATS; Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:56 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

stromkraft wrote:
ATS wrote:
stromkraft wrote:

Yes it does.

You think this movie holds your hand and explains everything to you simply?

AND if you didn't see the first one you will have little clue what is really going on and even who or the story behind some of the characters. There are no flashbacks to explain anything before.

No, I think this movie "makes you think for yourself and figure out what is going on". The clue is in the quote to which I answered.

What are you talking about? There were more connects to the original than I expected there to be. Nevertheless both Balderunners stand on their own. It's movie and not a TV-serie.

Yeah the connects are there but if you didn't see the first one you would never know it. That's the whole point though. If you can't get the connects; because nothing explains what happens previous, you won't know what is going on. In other words, if you haven't seen the first one, make sure you watch that first.
Last edited by ATS on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stromkraft
KVRer

Postby stromkraft; Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:59 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

grandmasterbird wrote:I used to think Zebra sounded a little tame when it came to writing dance music but then it clicked and I realised that with a little tweaking it can sound as raucous as anything else out there.

I don't think it was made to sound that way from the moment you load it up like a lot of other soft synths. To me it's pretty neutral, and if you want it to sound big, cutting (insert your own subjective take on things here) then you need to steer it to that place with your programming.

Well, this is very possible, but I put Zebra in direct comparison to about 6-7 other synths and I simply didn't like it enough at the time. This doesn't mean one cannot make great sounds with it. Real talent means you can tailor any instrument to something golden. I just chose other synths myself at the time (a few years back) without losing my eye on U-he. They are an amazing company.
fmr
KVRAF

6346 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:44 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

ATS wrote: Yeah the connects are there but if you didn't see the first one you would never know it. That's the whole point though. If you can't get the connects; because nothing explains what happens previous, you won't know what is going on. In other words, if you haven't seen the first one, make sure you watch that first.

If you just see the Return of the King, would you understand perfectly what's going on? And if you see just Rogue One, would you understand completely the allusions to a Death Star that you will never see or to a Rebel Alliance that you don't quite understand what is (besides the fact that they are rebelling against some power) or who is Darth Vader, for that matter?

On series of films, like it happens in series where there is a continuous story being telled, if you don't see all the episodes, there will be things that you fail to fully understand. That said, I found Blade Runner 2049 a good film, alhough it didn't impress me as much as the first one did back then.
Fernando (FMR)
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments