Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

ATN69
KVRian

1410 posts since 5 Oct, 2015, from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Postby ATN69; Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Krakatau wrote:
egbert101 wrote:New word: Zebraholics. :P

+1 (billion) :lol:

LOL! They have AA meetings and groups for that to? :hihi:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 12
Sound Author
KVRist

454 posts since 8 Mar, 2008, from Crestview, Florida

Postby Sound Author; Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

What do I love about Zebra? ...Let me count the ways...

The sheer depth of it, I think, is unparalleled. First of all, you have what just might be the most powerful oscillator in the universe. A long list of spectral effects. FMOs. A plethora of analog modeled multi-mode filters, Cross Modulation Filters, and the Comb Filters! In addition to those extra bells and whistles: Sideband, Shaper, Ring Modulation, half a dozen different types of distortion. The Mod Mappers!

The XY Matrix provides access to the most powerful performance control system I've ever seen. The semi-modular workflow within the Main Grid allows me to create a signal flow that I could never reproduce in other instruments. And the ability to modulate various effects and Delay Ratio settings in the Mod Matrix with a daisy chain of modulation modulating modulation results in generative patches like this one...

https://soundcloud.com/bryan-lake/weird-sisters

Zebra has been my go-to for many years, and in all likelihood, will continue to be the synth I reach for whenever I want to explore strange new sonic worlds, and boldly go where no sound designer has gone before!
Last edited by Sound Author on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zvenx
KVRAF

5730 posts since 16 Feb, 2005, from Kingston, Jamaica

Postby zvenx; Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Nice!!!
rsp
digitalboytn
KVRian

909 posts since 7 Dec, 2008, from Global Cowboy

Postby digitalboytn; Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:08 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

I think that it's the stripes :wink:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....
Ah_Dziz
KVRAF

2017 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Postby Ah_Dziz; Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:21 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

It's easy to program, doesn't use much CPU, and there is not much you can't do with it. It's usually my first stop for a new synth sound.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.
himalaya
KVRAF

4361 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:41 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Ah_Dziz wrote:doesn't use much CPU,

This has actually pleasantly surprised me recently. For the modular design, Zebra is amazingly low with its CPU consumption. I have this project on the go right now with 80 instances of Zebra loaded and my old laptop is doing just fine with the playback (although not all instances are playing at the same time and the patches are not complex, still other synths would cause me playback by now....).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
Krakatau
KVRAF

5336 posts since 24 May, 2002, from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Postby Krakatau; Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Sound Author wrote: results in generative patches like this one...

Do you mean that this track is generated by playing a single note ?
Arksun
KVRian

946 posts since 28 May, 2002, from UK

Postby Arksun; Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:18 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Where to begin, Zebra2 was a synth 10 years ahead of its time. It's oscillator module section is still a work of genius, especially with its low cpu usage. I love its semi-modular approach too, not too messy and time consuming like a fully modular system, but still with great flexibility in the audio path, just using what modules you need.

Also I tend to find Zebra is extremely good at blending with natural real world instruments in a mix, seems to do this far better than the other waveform generating synths I have.

Zebra3 is the one synth I've been super excited about for few years now, and it looks like we might finally be seeing it in 2018, fingers n toes crossed! :hihi:
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com
Tp3
KVRAF

2024 posts since 7 Feb, 2007

Postby Tp3; Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

I think what makes Zebra so loved is that it sounds like "The Bra" (Zee=Thee) :D

For me it's actually one preset... this one, very simple (I think.... Howard ?) preset, that changed everything.
What is best ? How do you define 'best'? If you're talking about what you can think, what you can feel, what you can listen and hear, then 'best' is simply marketing signals (ie. hype) interpreted by your brain.
Sound Author
KVRist

454 posts since 8 Mar, 2008, from Crestview, Florida

Postby Sound Author; Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Krakatau wrote:
Sound Author wrote: results in generative patches like this one...

Do you mean that this track is generated by playing a single note ?

Sort of. The attack you hear at the beginning of the track is a brief snippet of white noise feeding a series of delay lines with very short delay times tuned by the Mod Mappers, which contain notes in a scale. A series of LFOs, all of which are modulating each other, randomly select those notes. On occasion, the cross-feedback of the delay produces sudden, howling resonances. You don't really have to play this patch. All you have to do is press a key and let it do its thing. The "Pitch Offset" and "Filters" XY pads in the Perform Section will make everything just a little more "weird".

Enjoy :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lolilol1975
KVRist

497 posts since 6 Dec, 2015

Postby lolilol1975; Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:45 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Urs wrote:
hivkorn wrote:The most difficult things with zebra is the GUI , i own it 2 times in the past , i dig it a lot but everytime I don t understand how the GUI works... Something like softube modular is more easy to understand. Yes the sound is neutral , it is great to make THE sound you want. I hope Zebra 3 will have a more understable GUI.

The thing about Zebra's UI is that it requires an "a-ha moment". I've heard this many many times, people saying "I stared at it for some time and didn't get it, but suddenly, from one second to another, it became all clear!" - once this moment has happened the UI is perfectly understandable, and you will not want any major change to it.

I think we need to figure out a way to speed this process up. Maybe we need Dan Worrall for Zebra 3.

I also can't recommend enough Kenny Gioia, who makes the videos for the REAPER DAW. If you use Reaper, you probably know him already. Reaper is a complicated DAW and Kenny is a genius for explaining how it works in full depth.
Just have a look at his channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq297H ... SsQ/videos
He has made hundreds of tutorials on REAPER (pretty much 2 videos per week all along), and if you look at the comments, you'll see that users love him, because everyone learns stuff from him. So you can be pretty sure if you get him to learn Zebra, he will cover it from A to Z.
Last edited by lolilol1975 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Igro
KVRAF

3964 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:34 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Arksun wrote:Also I tend to find Zebra is extremely good at blending with natural real world instruments in a mix, seems to do this far better than the other waveform generating synths I have.

This! :clap:
[For Sale] Synapse Audio EKS Pro 19$, 15£, 17€
plugin'd out
KVRer

28 posts since 3 Mar, 2015

Postby plugin'd out; Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 am Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Sound Author wrote:generative patches like this one...

That's a truly amazing patch. Thanks for sharing!
diaper@ky
KVRist

194 posts since 28 Jul, 2014

Postby diaper@ky; Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

It sounds great on large speaker Arrays and Stage Monitors.
Makes the best Sync+Diva LPF wah-wah too.

I love it when Native synths can punch like hardware.
Very few can dish it out.
Zebra2 HZ is one of those synths.
pdxindy
KVRAF

12313 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:08 pm Re: What makes U-he Zebra so loved?

Arksun wrote:Also I tend to find Zebra is extremely good at blending with natural real world instruments in a mix, seems to do this far better than the other waveform generating synths I have.

yes...
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments