Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
omiroad
KVRist

157 posts since 16 Mar, 2015

Postby omiroad; Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:55 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

wagtunes going full damage control the entire thread. Chill.

Omnisphere is pretty mighty.
pdxindy
KVRAF

12313 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:56 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

whyterabbyt wrote:
Well, to be fair, the differences in size, shape, thickness, residual stresses, and even which metal are used mean that the range of variations in sounds which cymbals can produce are pretty vast in the first place. So much so, IMO that the sweeping 'cant be a cymbal' is highly misplaced.

And I strongly suspect that waggy has never actually done any cymbal bowing. I have, though. Mostly 'prepared' cymbals, and what he's attributing to 'heavily processed' easily fits in with some of the results Ive had.

For example if a cymbal is inverted, and one adds a handful of AA batteries worth of weight into the bell, and its not clamped at all but eg laid on one's upturned hand, the pitch and tone will be considerably lower and deeper, and can easily be that sample.
For more buzz/rattle, add some small nuts and screws into the bell. Moving the cymbal rather than the bow makes a difference too; the tension is on the metal not the string, and when its directly perpendicular you can sometimes get very smooth, even, tones.
'Body resonance' can even be added by suspending the cymbal a few cm away from something with a resonating chamber or membrane; Ive mostly tried a bodhran or frame drum.

I have too and I concur...
pdxindy
KVRAF

12313 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:57 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Except that sound sounds nothing like a cymbal. And nothing anybody can say will ever make me believe that it sounds anything like a cymbal.

So yeah, to me, it's night and day.

YMMV.

How many cymbals have you personally bowed?

You know what? I've never played a violin but I sure as hell know what one sounds like.

Clearly from what you are writing, that is not applicable for cymbals and bows (and the insistence that you know something when you have no direct experience... well...)
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

25105 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

wagtunes wrote:You know what? I've never played a violin but I sure as hell know what one sounds like.

No, you know what a violin typically sounds like. Which is a subset of what its capable of sounding like.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
nordickvr
KVRian

602 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Postby nordickvr; Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:50 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

pdxindy wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:...And I strongly suspect that waggy has never actually done any cymbal bowing. I have, though...
...Well, to be fair, the differences in size, shape, thickness, residual stresses, and even which metal are used mean that the range of variations in sounds which cymbals can produce are pretty vast in the first place...
...'Body resonance' can even be added by suspending the cymbal a few cm away from something with a resonating chamber or membrane; Ive mostly tried a bodhran or frame drum.

I have too and I concur...

Me too.
@whyterabbyt : Recalling this time passed in perc class doing that type of experiments is really giving me a blast!
wagtunes
KVRAF

9110 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:54 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:You know what? I've never played a violin but I sure as hell know what one sounds like.

No, you know what a violin typically sounds like. Which is a subset of what its capable of sounding like.

Question: Is it possible to make a violin sound like that sound in the video clip?
Roman Empire
KVRian

799 posts since 31 Mar, 2002, from Spain

Postby Roman Empire; Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:13 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

Been many years since I played with this VST, but it sounds like something that you could accomplish with Crystal - I may be totally wrong:

http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/about.html
Best Regards

Roman Empire
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

1813 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:16 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

wagtunes wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:

Question: Is it possible to make a violin sound like that sound in the video clip?

Well kinda, and I posted it a few pages ago to widespread disinterest. Admittedly that's not a regular violin but something called a spike fiddle. I don't think playing a regular violin conventionally could make that sound, but if you could get a sound out of it roughly similar to the spike fiddle - rough scrapy edges and harmonics - then slowed it down 400%, it could be in that sort of realm.

Anyway, this has turned into yet another KVR nyah nyah contest of unprovable claim and counterclaim so whatevs peeps. The OP's question has been answered - it's Bowed Oil Can / Rusty Spoke from Distorted Reality / Omnisphere. As to how that was made... well, I'd be interested to hear what others actually come up with more than more nyah nyah.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Anniversary, i74930k, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 2x GT610, PT12 HD, Cubase Pro 9.0.10
MBP 2015 OSX 10.11.4 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
braj
KVRAF

7942 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

noiseboyuk wrote:I'd be interested to hear what others actually come up with more than more nyah nyah.

+1.
deastman
KVRAF

6430 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:00 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

braj wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:I'd be interested to hear what others actually come up with more than more nyah nyah.

+1.

Like I said earlier, anyone who really cares all that much could email Eric P. and ask him directly.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
zzz00m
KVRist

474 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:18 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

Just FYI, Sonivox Big Bang Cinematic Percussion has 22 Cymbal Bow patches.

Some of them sound like cymbals, but many of them are a bit more abstract. A lot of variables.... :D
Last edited by zzz00m on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
zzz00m
KVRist

474 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

goldenhelix wrote:I think it's a bowed cymbal.

Agreed! :tu:
Instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
HunterKiller
KVRAF

1948 posts since 9 Mar, 2006

Postby HunterKiller; Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

Does anyone know where this other famous sound comes from and its name:

https://youtu.be/jsI4svrRX5I?t=2m24s
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden
Aloysius
KVRAF

20682 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:27 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

^

Sure. Check it out ...

http://alturl.com/p749b
There are only a few more shopping days left until Black Friday.
werp
KVRAF

1801 posts since 14 Aug, 2012, from Australia

Postby werp; Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 pm Re: What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

I don’t go to movies or shows anymore cos I hate the sound of people chewing on stinking popcorn and being breathed on by intoxicated or stoned yobbos.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments