Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

Do VSTs Make The Cut?

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
 
9930 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

spunkmuffin wrote:I find modular disturbingly tempting.


When I first started using Mulab, I also thought that way. But somehow I wasted so much time on playing around with those modules, there were no limitations, I need limitations, lots of them :hihi:
User avatar
EnGee
KVRAF
 
4068 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland - NZ

Postby EnGee; Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

I won't be bothered with Euroracks or any modular hardware.

I even not that eager to have Waldorf Pulse or Korg MS-20 mini! Reaktor 6 has wonderful analogue modules and sound which is more than enough for me.

I'm staying with software :) The last favourite addition I bought (or re-bought!) is Waves Elements. Oh and a great gem that I forgot I have, is VAZ Modular. Wow! This is a masterpiece! Pitty it is discontinued, I only wish for 64bit edition. Anyway, I consider myself lucky to win it in a previous charity auction :D

Sorry, no list, as I wrote about my favourites in my signature ;)
I use mainly:
Windows 10 PC with Waldorf Blofeld as my synth/midi controller and HS7 as monitors.
Cubase 9 Pro with synths/instruments/effects mainly from u-he, Air, NI, Steinberg, Waves and Synapse Audio.
User avatar
braj
KVRAF
 
7953 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

Yeah, modular gear is great until you need to change patches. Wait right here, I'll be back in 20 minutes...
User avatar
foosnark
KVRAF
 
4031 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

braj wrote:Yeah, modular gear is great until you need to change patches. Wait right here, I'll be back in 20 minutes...


That's why people who perform live with modular have massive systems, and/or switch matrices, and/or they do long-form stuff instead of individual songs that require radically different patches, and/or they incorporate live patching into the performance and build up from basics, and/or they have non-modular stuff going on along with it.

I'm definitely a creature of the studio, and I love sound design, so I'll take customizability and flexibility over presets. It's not for everyone, just like stage pianos and romplers aren't for everyone :P
User avatar
braj
KVRAF
 
7953 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:45 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

I don't use presets generally, I start from initial patches 99 percent of the time, but a synth with a decent modulation setup gives me everything I need and I do have the option to save something so I can come back to it later. And I can throw 10 instances at a song. I dunno, I'm not knocking modular setups, knock yourself out, but I don't see them as being in any way superior. And really, most plugins are semi modular nowadays, modulators and signal paths are generally assignable, and you can get fully modular virtually too if you like, just surprise! You can save your work. That is a big deal to me.
User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
 
9930 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:55 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

EnGee wrote:I'm staying with software :) The last favourite addition I bought (or re-bought!) is Waves Elements.


Was also tempted when it was on sale for 29 dollars recently.
User avatar
EnGee
KVRAF
 
4068 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland - NZ

Postby EnGee; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EnGee wrote:I'm staying with software :) The last favourite addition I bought (or re-bought!) is Waves Elements.


Was also tempted when it was on sale for 29 dollars recently.

Was it?! I bought it for the current sale $59 but with additional discount as I bought another plugin, so I got 20% discount (I think).

It has a great sound. Different from Sylenth1 and Diva (my other two favourites). Actually, I like the two Element 1 and 2, while ver 2 is the superior, ver 1 sounds also nice and different :)

Well, I also got a beta version of Vacuum Classic, which I think it will be released soon (a simplified version of Vacuum Pro) and it sounds really good. I think I begin to prefer the easy to control synths because I find it easier to be inspired and more focus :) Anyway, Pop music is still my favourite (includes Synth Pop), so I believe this has to do with my preference ;)
I use mainly:
Windows 10 PC with Waldorf Blofeld as my synth/midi controller and HS7 as monitors.
Cubase 9 Pro with synths/instruments/effects mainly from u-he, Air, NI, Steinberg, Waves and Synapse Audio.
.jon
KVRAF
 
5342 posts since 8 Jul, 2002, from Helsinki

Postby .jon; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

braj wrote:I don't use presets generally, I start from initial patches 99 percent of the time, but a synth with a decent modulation setup gives me everything I need and I do have the option to save something so I can come back to it later. And I can throw 10 instances at a song. I dunno, I'm not knocking modular setups, knock yourself out, but I don't see them as being in any way superior. And really, most plugins are semi modular nowadays, modulators and signal paths are generally assignable, and you can get fully modular virtually too if you like, just surprise! You can save your work. That is a big deal to me.


Modulars are called synths, yes, but they are really more like a custom music creation system. Many setups don't require to be multiplied by ten to get a track going, they contain multiple instances. Many don't require any other instruments, effects or even a mixer, everything is included.

For many modular musicians, the fact that you can't perfectly save your work is a big deal. It's a different approach, perhaps with more artistic than practical intent.

I find the concept wonderful, the price tag not so much. There seems to be a sort of minimum number of modules, a critical mass, where eurorack really starts to perform... which is unfortunately a few grands above my budget.
User avatar
braj
KVRAF
 
7953 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

.jon wrote:
braj wrote:I don't use presets generally, I start from initial patches 99 percent of the time, but a synth with a decent modulation setup gives me everything I need and I do have the option to save something so I can come back to it later. And I can throw 10 instances at a song. I dunno, I'm not knocking modular setups, knock yourself out, but I don't see them as being in any way superior. And really, most plugins are semi modular nowadays, modulators and signal paths are generally assignable, and you can get fully modular virtually too if you like, just surprise! You can save your work. That is a big deal to me.


Modulars are called synths, yes, but they are really more like a custom music creation system. Many setups don't require to be multiplied by ten to get a track going, they contain multiple instances. Many don't require any other instruments, effects or even a mixer, everything is included.

For many modular musicians, the fact that you can't perfectly save your work is a big deal. It's a different approach, perhaps with more artistic than practical intent.

I find the concept wonderful, the price tag not so much. There seems to be a sort of minimum number of modules, a critical mass, where eurorack really starts to perform... which is unfortunately a few grands above my budget.


Yeah, I'm fine with the concept, and I'm in the same boat as you, I can't afford to get what I get out of even the most basic synths if I were to go modular. I would love to get a Moog Mother and a few outboard modules though, but once I start doing the math, even that is not an efficient use of my very limited funds.
User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
 
26361 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from Downeast Maine

Postby Hink; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

braj wrote:Yeah, modular gear is great until you need to change patches. Wait right here, I'll be back in 20 minutes...


and whip out your phone to take a pic to save as a preset...still I would like it but it's not high on my want list so not likely
User avatar
braj
KVRAF
 
7953 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

Hink wrote:
braj wrote:Yeah, modular gear is great until you need to change patches. Wait right here, I'll be back in 20 minutes...


and whip out your phone to take a pic to save as a preset...still I would like it but it's not high on my want list so not likely


My first synth had a book of patch sheets, that was only an SH-101 but was handy when I needed to know a Trombone from a Tuba. Throw in cables and I dunno, my sand is running out of the old hourglass. It is kind of like going to the library to look something up instead of using Google. And using a cel phone is cheating :D That's not in an analog signal path!
User avatar
Vertion
KVRist
 
307 posts since 29 Oct, 2016

Postby Vertion; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

Computers are great at orchestration of many things together faster than a human can do.. however, it's discrete nature keeps the infinite detail of the universe limited to available resources and abstract models. I would think a combination of software and digitally-controlled and digitally-routable analog gear will be the final product. Where the modularity is routed digitally between analog circuits. This will give the most organic output and allow the computer to algorithmically assist the composer in creating live-compositions and orchestrating many electronic instruments and effects. Send to speakers and mixed down into a high-rate high-bitdepth digital recorder the live performance and the snapshot of the inner spirit of the composer. Using VSTs means accepting their limitations and their strengths. Some VSTs seems to have captured the spirit of the developer quite well, and some of these souls can really sing. Some of the best plugins out there, really are FREE, you just have to listen closely.
Last edited by Vertion on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
braj
KVRAF
 
7953 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:55 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

Puff Puff Pass....
.jon
KVRAF
 
5342 posts since 8 Jul, 2002, from Helsinki

Postby .jon; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:57 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

I'm afraid the critical mass, at least what I'd want from the system, costs something like 4-5K eur. Justifying that much for a non-serious hobby among others is the hard part. Maybe I could fool myself if I had the patience to build it in smaller chunks :D
User avatar
fisherKing
KVRian
 
1466 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Postby fisherKing; Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:06 pm Re: Do VSTs Make The Cut?

i mentioned by brother earlier in this thread.

he had (on loan), an ARP2600 (in the late 80s), and that thing was incredible... to explore. but i wouldn't want to make music with it. i think modular is, as others point out, great for odd, longform works. and definitely fun as hell to play with.

but (personally), i want to make music. and the software is always there, travels easily with my macbook pro, and recalls where i last left it (my brother had sheets of paper with the ARP panels, and he'd draw lines for cables, color in knobs, etc.. crazy, really). software rules... :tu:
always one plugin short of perfection...
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments