RIP Cakewalk

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

AnX wrote:...except Rene left years ago...
Damn. Too much has happened. I am lost in the woods
What is he doing now?
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Hanz Meyzer wrote:Well, some parts of Cakewalk Sonar could be transformed into money, e.g. making a CROSS-PLATFORM plugin suite from sonitus fx plugins, into a new version supporting state-of-the-art features like vst2 sidechain and vst3. The code already is there, vst cross platform is not the hard to do.
My understanding is that the Sonitus suite is legacy code, bound to the Windows API, that Cakewalk didn't own and stopped having maintained by the original developer/owner. It was already abandoned legacy by Sonar 8.5. This is the case with a lot of content in Sonar...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

melomood wrote:
What is he doing now?

He is earning money.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Damn. Haven't used cakewalk in years, but that's what I used when I started out last millennium. Sad to see an "old buddy" go down..

GaryG wrote:
glokraw wrote:Hey Gibson, sell the code to someone who will use it, or open-source the code,
no need for it to die, for some beancounter's 'just because'.
It would be at least a small show of respect for those who spent
hard-earned money, and many hundreds man-hours learning
and using your products. I for one love Dimension Pro, Rapture, and z3ta+,
no need to leave the code in a dumpster somewhere.
Trouble is the code is their intellectual property so they see it as a potential asset. They won't give it away where someone else (potential competitor?) could make money off of it rather than them.

I am surprised that when things like this happen, some pissed-off programmer has never just dumped the code somewhere on the net, maybe even an unprotected build.

cause most likely they would go to jail and/or be sued into bankruptcy.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

t3toooo wrote:
melomood wrote:
What is he doing now?

He is earning money.
Meaning retired I assume
When he left did his coding stay with cakewalk?
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

egbert101 wrote:
ZeePok wrote: Yes it does! I use this technique all the time. :)
No it does not. You failed to actually give the specific folders too.
You do realize that when you make changes to the registry - you have to re-boot in order for them to take effect?

In Windows, the registry is loaded into memory. When you change something, it does not get picked up most of the time until you shut down and re-start the infernal box.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

this is very sad

Then try adding the key above the Wow6432Node in just HKey_Local_Machine/Cakewalk Music Software

Get to know the registry, and it will be a friend to you.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnekm wrote:You do realize that when you make changes to the registry - you have to re-boot in order for them to take effect?

In Windows, the registry is loaded into memory. When you change something, it does not get picked up most of the time until you shut down and re-start the infernal box.
No, registry changes are available to the system as soon as they are made. however, most applications will only read the registry once, usually on startup, so to make them see any changes they will have to be restarted. This is easy enough with desktop applications but services (such as PACE) need to be restarted either via the services manager or a system reboot.

Thanks, Cakewalk. Z3ta will always be a classic. I have 1 and 2 (and Rapture too).
:wink:

I don't get it. I just logged into my account at Cakewalk to get the installers and serials, etc, for Z3TA+2 and some other stuff I have. I thought it might be a good idea to keep these installers and serials safe. There is not a single word anywhere at Cakewalk website about closing down. Nothing!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Instruments”