Favorite Synth to Program

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote:Cypher is a great synth, but mostly I miss Strobe. I didn't know its value till late! Programming Strobe (and Cypher) is so fun. I like the GUI much more than the new one.
I probably will end buying it again from the 2nd hand market next month (as I'm broke now!).
Strobe 2's GUI went vector so it scales nicely, and there are more modulation options now, plus the MPE stuff. The workflow is faster in general with more flexibility. It's super-expressive. I think the GUI changes were necessary given the way the market and technology is now. DCAM Synth Squad was a treasure and was an awesome value before it was discontinued. The whole bundle for $99, I am glad I was able to grab it then.

Hopefully Cypher 2 comes out of beta soon. I always went back to Synth Squad for it since it's so organic and beefy.

Spire, serum and thorn, with thorn by a nose. All are logically layed out, simple at first and fast.

In increasing order of complexity and fun of exploration: Monark -> Bazilla -> Reaktor

yellowmix wrote:
Strobe 2's GUI went vector so it scales nicely, and there are more modulation options now, plus the MPE stuff. The workflow is faster in general with more flexibility. It's super-expressive. I think the GUI changes were necessary given the way the market and technology is now. DCAM Synth Squad was a treasure and was an awesome value before it was discontinued. The whole bundle for $99, I am glad I was able to grab it then.

Hopefully Cypher 2 comes out of beta soon. I always went back to Synth Squad for it since it's so organic and beefy.
I demoed Strobe 2. It is a nice synth, but I like Strobe 1 more :)

On the rare occasions I do create my own sounds, as I mainly use synth presets/sample libraries and modify as needed, I have settled on the following VST synths at this time:

* Steinberg Retrologue 2
* Tone2 Saurus 2.5
* u-he Hive
* u-he Repro-5 (replaced LinPlug Apha 3 on the list)

Sound design is not a strong aspect of the music genres I write and produce. A basic synth tends to be more than enough for my sound designing needs.

With that said, if sound design was an interest of mine, I would definitely use the following synths in my VSTi collection for the task:

* iZotope Iris 2
* Rob Papen Predator 2
* Steinberg HALion 6
* u-he Bazille
* UVI Falcon

For my basic synth needs (anything that needs to sound authentic comes from my rompler, anyway, no synth can match samples when it comes to real strings and brass, guitars, drums and percussion) Sylenth1 is still my go-to synth. It does all the classic synths sounds I need for MPB and R&B (i.e. pads, powerful basses, leads), and I can get there easily and reliably thanks to its intuitive GUI and general maturity. It's simply a joy for me to make patches.

Virus Ti editor plugin

I know some people hate tabed interfaces but for me Virus Ti GUI is best to work with (minus preset browser wich sucks).

The color palete, knobs, size (im using full hd screen) is just perfect. I have it for 8 years now and i prefer using other vst plugins but when it comes to GUI no one yet made better (at least for me) :-)

I really like Kaivo to program and my favourite tool of all time to program is NI Molekular (not a synth). I've made 900 snaps and counting in it.

1. Softube Modular
2. Softube Modular
3. Softube Modular

:D
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

It's probably FM8 for me. I really "get" it, and find it easy to get good results pretty quickly. And for it's age, I still feel like it has some tricks up its sleeve. The audio input is something I think often goes unused by a lot of people.

Honorable mention to Zebra. I've also been enjoying Cycle lately.

Synthmaster and Aalto

Aalto, Vaz Modular, Ableton Operator

Well, it's certainly NOT Hexeract.

Massive.. still.

Only because I'm most familiar and comfortable with it.

But, just picked up Diversion and Thorn.. really like both.

Thorn is amazing though.. and has similarities to Massive, that made it easy for me to pick up quickly. It may become my favorite over time.

wagtunes wrote:Well, it's certainly NOT Hexeract.
Yes... having seen your "sample looping problems" with this synth, I will avoid...
others have mentioned Synthmaster and aalto.. both are a lot of fun and very creative..
Diversion.. great but just outside my budget..
Thorn... yes yes and yes... I recently participated in my second OSC, #105 using Thorn.
this has to be one of the easiest, quickest synths to programme and can create a wide "spectrum" of sounds... can be really crazy, which often suits my mood... I will have full version before 31 Dec :wink:

Return to “Instruments”