Advice please on basic additive with comfortable GUI and fine tweaking of partials

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! Would need some advice please :-)

I am looking for an additive synth with precise partial manipulation.

FM8 is my main additive engine but doesn't have an actual partial mixer.

I own Virsyn Tera. It's great but high partials are a bit hard to tweak other than playing around with mouse strokes. It does have an auto-peak/valley feature with is great though.

Razor and Prism are awesome but it's all too automated..

IIRC same goes with Zebra and many others where the additive module is a bit small and hard to control.

I would think that Synclavier would be close but I would like to see if there is anything better still.

I did like the ZynAddSubFX partial editor as well but this one is not going anywhere..

My ideal would be something in the range of Harmonaut although it's just 32 bits and not developped anymore.

Thanks!\
Last edited by yul on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

If you're comfortable with FM, Sytrus is amazing. You won't be sorry. Download the demo and give it a whirl. What have you got to lose?

Thanks. I believe the partial editor is super tiny and much like the other synths I auditioned. I am really looking for a full scale partial editor window. It doesn't seem like it exists in this day and age :-)

A demo from Axxell here by some local folks near my area is a bit more like my style but in software??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZ96Kg1hhg

Mutools mux oscillators

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Thanks guys!! I got Mulab I feel soo silly for overlooking this unless it came in a recent update..ugh
egbert101 wrote:Weird, I thought FM8 and Sytrus were FM synthesizers. :hihi:
Obviously yes for FM but at the end of the day it can also be considered additive depending on how you view things (fm8 actually has a fft display on the top right)

yul wrote:Thanks. I believe the partial editor is super tiny and much like the other synths I auditioned. I am really looking for a full scale partial editor window. It doesn't seem like it exists in this day and age :-)

A demo from Axxell here by some local folks near my area is a bit more like my style but in software??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZ96Kg1hhg
My eyes are terrible (ask anybody) and I don't find Sytrus even close to being considered tiny. I have no problem seeing the partial editor.

Have you demo'd it?

Imageline Morphine is the easiest to use and probably the most basic 'classic' additive design - can make great sounds but rather crash prone on Mac (probably stable on Windows - IL just don't know how to code on Mac)

wagtunes wrote: My eyes are terrible (ask anybody) and I don't find Sytrus even close to being considered tiny. I have no problem seeing the partial editor.

Have you demo'd it?
I'll certainly check again and Morphine at the same time!! Thanks so much!

<withdrawn due to bullying> :(
Last edited by ZeePok on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:You might have luck with Audio Damage Phosphor. Only problem is there is no demo version, and I don't know how big the GUI is, but I've always loved the sound.
Highly recommended VST - it's only 49$ (there's even a sale going on right now so you'll probably get it for about 30$), sounds fantastic and the GUI is modern and resizeable. And if you have an iPad you can buy the app for less than 5 bucks I think.

I don't think you'll regret it, and even if you do - Audio Damage will refund your money. Works fine, I've done it before.

yul wrote: IIRC same goes with Zebra and many others where the additive module is a bit small and hard to control.

Thanks!\
Zebra 2.8 (soon to be public beta) has a new much bigger editor as part of the new GUI. Works for Osc's, MSEG's and ModMappers. It's a big improvement! :tu:

egbert101 wrote:
ZeePok wrote: 
If you're looking for precise partial control I'd still recommend DiscoDSP Vertigo!

I know the dev is in Limbo so finding a demo may be difficult, and the GUI is rather tiny on my 1280x1024, but it's very clear and Vertigo has a lot of possibilities, is very good in what it does and it sounds great! :)
I've no idea why this guy is recommending a dead instrument from a developer that has decided to abandon all his customers.

You might have luck with Audio Damage Phosphor. Only problem is there is no demo version, and I don't know how big the GUI is, but I've always loved the sound.

Image Line Morphine is the best recommendation I could give, but given its age and cost (149 Euros) it is overly expensive.
Because that's what people do here. Somebody asks for a wavetable VST and somebody will name Diva. It doesn't matter what you ask for. Some people have to get their favorite VST into the mix even if the dev is MIA on some deserted island in the South Pacific with no cell phone and no electricity.

It's why ALL these threads turn into the same "let's name every synth in existence because we can" waste of time.

Return to “Instruments”