Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
Taron
KVRAF

2041 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

32Gb RAM...wowsa...what are you planning to do?! :o 8)
Processor has 12Mb cache, goes up to 4.7Ghz...oh, jeez. Monster!
If I was still doing 3d rendering stuff, this would've been quite awesome. I'm just way too glad I don't, haha! :phew:
Congrats on such a fabulous machine, Bob! :tu:
ThePresent
KVRist

346 posts since 17 Dec, 2013, from The Netherlands

Postby ThePresent; Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

doctorbob wrote:
z.prime wrote:
doctorbob wrote:So, talking about past masters ... Z' are you back in for this round ?????? :hihi: :borg:

Don't talk crazy.

Wibble wibble wibble dribble dribble - so who's the crazy one???? :ud: :hihi: :hihi:

Just getting my new machine tomorrow:

8700K processor, 32Gb ram, 500Gb SSD, 2 * 2Tb WD blacks, 27" monitor, silent case and cooling.

Once setup will look to get a Focusrite 2i4.

Not cheap but should be a bit of a brute! Replaces my 7 yr old quadcore with 4Gb.

Lucky you! Some amazing piece of hardware, congratulations :tu:
https://soundcloud.com/thepresentmusic
Free soundsets for OB-Xd and u-he Beatzille
https://thpsynthpresets.com
Full Bucket
KVRist

441 posts since 25 May, 2010, from Hessisch Uganda, Germany

Postby Full Bucket; Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

ThePresent wrote:Lucky you! Some amazing piece of hardware, congratulations :tu:

Big new hardware to run tiny software that simulates big old hardware. Some say we're doomed. :hihi:

So Doctor B., can we expect another [insert music-style-you-never-thought-it-would-ever-make-it-into-an-OSC here] track from yours? :hyper:

Cheers, Björn
doctorbob
KVRian

863 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:20 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

Full Bucket wrote:Big new hardware to run tiny software that simulates big old hardware. Some say we're doomed. :hihi:

So Doctor B., can we expect another [insert music-style-you-never-thought-it-would-ever-make-it-into-an-OSC here] track from yours? :hyper:

Cheers, Björn

It depends how quickly I can get it all up and running. Just a "custom" audio machine to last me until the year ... th eidea was to get lots of cores and have a fast single core for the audio thread. I got a track count up to 150 on the old machine once - but usually I struggle around 30-40 depending on the cpu demands of the VSTi and the additional FX processing. I often have to 2-stage it, freezing tracks as I go along and then mix with FX on the frozen stems.

So, I wonder what should I do with your great machines - oh so many knobs and connections - total bewilderment - I always dribbled over the big wall sized Moogs. Now you have set the seed, I will now have to re-visit my ideas ...

Now where did that red patch lead go???????

dB
doctorbob
KVRian

Postby doctorbob; Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

Taron wrote:32Gb RAM...wowsa...what are you planning to do?! :o 8)
Processor has 12Mb cache, goes up to 4.7Ghz...oh, jeez. Monster!
If I was still doing 3d rendering stuff, this would've been quite awesome. I'm just way too glad I don't, haha! :phew:
Congrats on such a fabulous machine, Bob! :tu:

Should run Reaper Ok I guess :wink:
I used to do 3D stuff (did a lot with Terragen, if you know it), as well real terrain mapping stuff. Lots of the main animation folk were good friends (lost touch now after 7 years retirment), John Lansdown (set up System Simulation - one of the early animation companies!), John Lasseter (quite famous, I guess)etc ... Dreamworks and Framestore CFC - saw lots of early "rushes" of films before texture maps had been applied - e.g. bare Thunderbirds rockets! Interesting stories about Harry Potter films and where budgets went on developing new animation techniques (you know about this stuff, yes??? e.g. modelling feathers!). Saw some great early motion capture too - including a running horse - indoors!!

dB
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:47 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

So funny, I was kinda let down by the wall sized modular monsters. At the end, well, it's "just" a modular synth then, but you've spent a fortune on them and sacrificed serious real estate, hahahaha! :lol: :dog:
Praise Björn and peers for sparing most of us the horror! :ud: :phew:

Well, I've never once frozen a single lane (I think, can't remember I ever did?!). And I have but a fraction of the machine you are getting! So...you should be good. But then, I'm using MuLab, so... maybe it's just that light on the CPU? :shrug:

AH, yeah, well, I was pretty cooped up in Los Angeles, working on the movies that came in. I've met plenty of amazing folks there, but had always been to wrapped up with my work to fully acknowledge their "glory", so to say. The people I directly worked with I respected and treasured most, because I knew why! :) :shrug: ...I did know some "legends" quite closely, who knew that they shouldn't have been legends, either, hahahaha! :lol: :P Funny stuff! :hihi:
But, yeah, I remember Terragen way back in the day, too, but we've hardly ever used such "specific" tools. We did most of our work first with NewTek's Lightwave (...for which I ended up designing the Logo since version 6, hehehe, and they still use it! :o ) and later our own "project:messiah" (...whose name I've always felt utterly awkward about, but eh...wasn't my choice. :roll: ). I ended up being a developer of it as well, but it was just to "set me free" from the bondage of visual effects houses, really. And it worked! :hyper: ...until I set myself free from all the nonsensical visual effects work. :shrug: Now it's all about art and music and creating tools for artists and musicians. And hoping to find a way to make this actually work for a living. :scared:
z.prime
KVRAF

1628 posts since 28 Sep, 2011

Postby z.prime; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:28 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

doctorbob wrote:Once setup will look to get a Focusrite 2i4

I would check on the forums about any Focusrite stuff before buying it. I had a Forte, and it was horribly unstable on both Mac and Windows with the latest drivers (and they still have not provided updates - I checked the other day and the drivers are still the same ones from 2014!). Not sure what your budget is for a hobby like this or any other musical endeavors you have, but after trying a few medium-range interfaces, I have to say the RME Babyface Pro is hands down the best one. It is a bit pricey, but I have literally never had an issue with it in the ~1 year I've had it plugged up. And, if you ever feel like doing any recording, the input converters are equally as good as the Apogee Duet 2's (I recorded some samples between the Forte, Duet 2, and Babyface Pro). Forte input sound was almost good (it would have been good enough for me), but stability was awful for me and many others and the company clearly didn't care. Nice thing about the Babyface is it's entirely USB powered, including phantom power - the other interfaces you need to plug in to the wall to get that, if you ever intended on recording some single sources that needed it. Anyway, my 2 cents, not sure if it's pertinent to your needs anyway...
wagtunes
KVRAF

9599 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

doctorbob wrote:
Full Bucket wrote:Big new hardware to run tiny software that simulates big old hardware. Some say we're doomed. :hihi:

Cheers, Björn

It depends how quickly I can get it all up and running. Just a "custom" audio machine to last me until the year ... th eidea was to get lots of cores and have a fast single core for the audio thread. I got a track count up to 150 on the old machine once - but usually I struggle around 30-40 depending on the cpu demands of the VSTi and the additional FX processing. I often have to 2-stage it, freezing tracks as I go along and then mix with FX on the frozen stems.

So, I wonder what should I do with your great machines - oh so many knobs and connections - total bewilderment - I always dribbled over the big wall sized Moogs. Now you have set the seed, I will now have to re-visit my ideas ...

dB

What a mess. LOL
z.prime
KVRAF

1628 posts since 28 Sep, 2011

Postby z.prime; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:50 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

doctorbob wrote:Image

You found a picture of my brain! The patch cables are always plugged into the wrong places... :(
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

z.prime wrote:
doctorbob wrote:Once setup will look to get a Focusrite 2i4

I would check on the forums about any Focusrite stuff before buying it. I had a Forte, and it was horribly unstable on both Mac and Windows with the latest drivers (and they still have not provided updates - I checked the other day and the drivers are still the same ones from 2014!). Not sure what your budget is for a hobby like this or any other musical endeavors you have, but after trying a few medium-range interfaces, I have to say the RME Babyface Pro is hands down the best one. It is a bit pricey, but I have literally never had an issue with it in the ~1 year I've had it plugged up. And, if you ever feel like doing any recording, the input converters are equally as good as the Apogee Duet 2's (I recorded some samples between the Forte, Duet 2, and Babyface Pro). Forte input sound was almost good (it would have been good enough for me), but stability was awful for me and many others and the company clearly didn't care. Nice thing about the Babyface is it's entirely USB powered, including phantom power - the other interfaces you need to plug in to the wall to get that, if you ever intended on recording some single sources that needed it. Anyway, my 2 cents, not sure if it's pertinent to your needs anyway...

Holy crap, this is some scary stuff. Babyface is over $700 at Amazon, while the Focusrite is around $200. I can see how that makes the latter more of a hobby product, but for the Babyface you gotta be pretty darn serious for sure!
Some years back I bought NI's Komplete 6 at the time, which my computer hated, providing constant blue screens with the Asio drivers. And since I live in Croatia, haha, Steinberg couldn't unlock the cubase license that came with it. How brilliant is that?! Anyway... just reminded me. It was kinda expensive, too, then.
What ever happened to the good old PCI card world... has it gone extinct in the meantime? I'd imagine you could get a brilliant one for a fraction of the price and then use your actual audio gear or any other pro component that likely costs still less, yet, you'd get probably pro quality for your "hobby". :shrug:
I'm definitely curious about that. :neutral:
MalToné
KVRer

4 posts since 4 Dec, 2017

Postby MalToné; Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

doctorbob wrote:
z.prime wrote:
doctorbob wrote:So, talking about past masters ... Z' are you back in for this round ?????? :hihi: :borg:

Don't talk crazy.

Wibble wibble wibble dribble dribble - so who's the crazy one???? :ud: :hihi: :hihi:

Just getting my new machine tomorrow:

8700K processor, 32Gb ram, 500Gb SSD, 2 * 2Tb WD blacks, 27" monitor, silent case and cooling.

Once setup will look to get a Focusrite 2i4.

Not cheap but should be a bit of a brute! Replaces my 7 yr old quadcore with 4Gb.

I'm jealous! Sounds like a sweet rig! Will the SSD be for the OS? I want to upgrade next year and am debating 16 vs. 32 GB ram and how many SSDs. Have fun!
Signature blocked until 5 posts made
doctorbob
KVRian

Postby doctorbob; Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

The SSD will be for the OS and programs. Data on the WD Blacks (7200 rpms).

As it's just a hobby, I will go for a decent 2 in , 4 out interface - loots around, and I'm not in a hurry. When I record I front end with a mixer anyway, so I get 48v there. For portable recording I still use my Yamaha AW16G (only 8 tracks though, but sufficient for what I do).

Now I have to find room for it to run alongside the current system and transfer things over.

dB
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:10 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

There you go, that's what I'd figure, too! :tu:
] Peter:H [
KVRist

318 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 am Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

Has this become a debate club :D ?
Here's some noize: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dir4sgbckm05l ... .flac?dl=0

Sound Design for me happens more or less by surprise with those thingies...and I'm not sure whether I want to go that route for a full submission...quite hilarious how enormous programming talent can go into providing synths that are so weird...I mean this talent could also provide us some second thorn?
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:22 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music

Have some difficulties with those dropbox files. This one has 224Kb and is essentially ...nothing and won't play.
There was an mp3 earlier, I think, I also couldn't play. :shrug:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments