Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
braj
KVRAF

8396 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:22 am Where are the modern analog emulations?

I'm just wondering when we'll see emulations of this era's analog machines, like a mini and Maxibrute, a Deepmind, or whatever. I know Little One is a modern Moog emulation, right?
Ingonator
KVRAF

11566 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

Still waiting for an Alesis Andromeda A6 emulation...

Would be also happy to have a proper emulation of the Novation Bass Station 2 that i got here. So far no plugin could fully replace it for me. Would be even better if the plugin could be polyphonic.
Ingo Weidner
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Repro-5, VC 6, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Bitwig 2 / Studio One 3
mcnoone
KVRAF

5960 posts since 8 Oct, 2007, from an inharmonious society

Postby mcnoone; Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:12 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

I think Repro5 does excellent emulations of Repro1.
ATN69
KVRAF

1552 posts since 5 Oct, 2015, from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Postby ATN69; Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:36 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

There are a bunch of less attractive old synths that to my knowledge has not been emulated yet. I am thinking about the good old Korg Poly 61, Korg Poly 800, and then we have the DW models.

Maybe there is a Roland JX3P emulation somewhere? How about Yamaha CS5 and the whole CS range? These are synths that at the time was not very sought after because they were affordable and many people owned them. For me it would be pure nostalgia to have those :D
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 12
egbert101
KVRian

1485 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:45 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

ATN69 wrote:Maybe there is a Roland JX3P emulation somewhere?

http://www.josvanras.com/synthesizer/

Is it any good? I don't know.

Also check out the huge collection of K Brown emulations:

http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
ATN69
KVRAF

1552 posts since 5 Oct, 2015, from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Postby ATN69; Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:51 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

egbert101 wrote:
ATN69 wrote:Maybe there is a Roland JX3P emulation somewhere?

http://www.josvanras.com/synthesizer/

Is it any good? I don't know.

Also check out the huge collection of K Brown emulations:

http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/

That Kbrown synth plugin site is just amazing when it comes to the amount of stuff :) Thanks for sharing.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 12
egbert101
KVRian

1485 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:54 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

ATN69 wrote:That Kbrown synth plugin site is just amazing when it comes to the amount of stuff :) Thanks for sharing.

Haha yes, the amount of effort he must have put into those. Sure, they may not sound like the originals, but they are good to play around with. And they're free, so bargain.
chk071
KVRAF

13811 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:03 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

braj wrote:I'm just wondering when we'll see emulations of this era's analog machines, like a mini and Maxibrute, a Deepmind, or whatever. I know Little One is a modern Moog emulation, right?

Modern synths are not vintage enough to be emulated. ;)

But, joke aside, remember that this is a very, very emotional, and irrational thing. Especially the gear heads tend to that, even the sheer manifestation of hardware as something better, just because it is physical, already plays into it. IMO, that's where you can see very well that the human mind doesn't fully work rational, and decent, and that something "virtual" isn't a replacement for something physical, at least for most. I think that software in most cases is rather something which is comfortable, and which makes life easy in the process, because working with hardware is really quite cumbersome in comparison, if you're using DAW software in the music making process, simply because the interface allows you to do things you won't be able to do with hardware, because you have to render, and need dozens of cables to connect your hardware, and get sound into your computer, and control your hardware from within the computer.

Frankly, if i had the money, i'd probably get myself at least one piece of hardware too. 1. They sound so freaking nice, and most soft synth developers still haven't found that sweet spot, have a good taste, or found out what makes hardware sound so nice, and 2. there's really something to it, when you can control your whole synth from a hardware panel. I've tried a couple of things, control soft synths with the controls on my MIDI keyboard, even bought a control surface to get even more controls on the table, but, it's all a compromise, as you won't be able to control everything, plus you'll have the problem that no synths is quite the same as the other, and you'll have to map different controls to the same buttons you have mapped to another synth.
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
ghettosynth
KVRAF

10165 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:24 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

I find it very unlikely that you're ever going to see a good emulation of the Andromeda. Probably the best that you can hope for is a strict emulation of the architecture based on the circuits that the Andromeda itself was based on. The reason is that the analog circuits are all embedded in a custom ASIC so taking measurements may be challenging.
braj
KVRAF

8396 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 am Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

ATN69 wrote:There are a bunch of less attractive old synths that to my knowledge has not been emulated yet. I am thinking about the good old Korg Poly 61, Korg Poly 800, and then we have the DW models.

Maybe there is a Roland JX3P emulation somewhere? How about Yamaha CS5 and the whole CS range? These are synths that at the time was not very sought after because they were affordable and many people owned them. For me it would be pure nostalgia to have those :D

Kind of off topic though.
AnX
KVRAF

2165 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:22 pm Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

ATN69 wrote:There are a bunch of less attractive old synths that to my knowledge has not been emulated yet.

The thread is about modern analogues...
knowix
KVRist

213 posts since 12 Nov, 2011

Postby knowix; Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:25 pm Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

There are probably less than a dozen devs in the world who can do convincing emulations at the moment. Definitely not enough to go around, for emulating all the gear out there.
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6940 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:34 pm Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

The VCVRack project has some ports of current eurorack modules
The future is yesterday
foosnark
KVRAF

4096 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:56 pm Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

A lot of what's in VCVRack is either digital anyway and just a code port, or are relatively basic implementations covering what the analog circuits do on a simple level... for instance, the "spring reverb" uses convolution. With VCVRack you can't really dedicate a whole lot of CPU resources just to emulating the complex behavior of many analog filters for instance, if you want to be able to run anything else.
djanthonyw
KVRAF

6817 posts since 20 Jul, 2004, from Boston

Postby djanthonyw; Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:12 pm Re: Where are the modern analog emulations?

Probably because the current analog synths are emulating the old ones too.
You are currently reading my signature.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments