Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
chk071
KVRAF

13811 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:43 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

I agree that you get better with everything, when you figure out how it works generally. Not sure if there are people who can do magic with anything though, that's a tad too much confidence in human ability. Unless you want to work, and work, and work, to get something to do what you want it to do. E.g., i never could get free VSTi's to do what i want them to do. With specific payware, i just hit a note, and it does what i want it to do immediately, without working my "magic" or anything. Many hardware synths seem to do that too.

I often read in other threads "well... i had to put an EQ to get that low end". That's not really the point, is it? Never heard of someone saying that he had to EQ his Moog to get the beef. :P
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
egbert101
KVRian

1485 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

I've focused down my collection into five synths that I aim to learn more about. So if I disappear for a few months, you'll know what I'll be up to. :hihi:
mrcleats
KVRist

212 posts since 4 Nov, 2007, from Liverpool, UK

Postby mrcleats; Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

Researching a sixth synth?
Bodhisan
KVRist

324 posts since 7 Aug, 2015, from Fool's Gold

Postby Bodhisan; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:03 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

chk071 wrote:Unless you want to work, and work, and work, to get something to do what you want it to do. :P

Bingo. You want to learn something? You work/practice. Most people would rather buy another synth to put off the hard work. If it were easy, everyone would be a Simon Stockhousen. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice...
chk071
KVRAF

13811 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

But what's the point in getting bad sound, just for the work and effort to try and make it good sound? Don't we all want to sound good with the least amount of work involved? Why do we use DAW's? We could just use tape machine, and work like in the 70ies, if it was for the work involved to get a good result.
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
Bodhisan
KVRist

324 posts since 7 Aug, 2015, from Fool's Gold

Postby Bodhisan; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

chk071 wrote:But what's the point in getting bad sound, just for the work and effort to try and make it good sound? Don't we all want to sound good with the least amount of work involved? Why do we use DAW's? We could just use tape machine, and work like in the 70ies, if it was for the work involved to get a good result.

To each his own, brother.
pdxindy
KVRAF

12564 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

egbert101 wrote:I've focused down my collection into five synths that I aim to learn more about. So if I disappear for a few months, you'll know what I'll be up to. :hihi:

which 5?
Fleer
KVRAF

3187 posts since 22 Aug, 2014, from Boston/Cambridge

Postby Fleer; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:07 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

SynthMaster
Michael L
KVRAF

1823 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit

Postby Michael L; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

Bodhisan wrote:For me, it’s not a matter of mastering a synth - it’s mastering how synths work.
It depends on the synth. I use Alchemy to layer field recordings, so it's 'a matter of mastering' the frequencies and harmonics in those recordings. Being a slow learner, I make discoveries every bloody day!
"As the artist goes deeper into his own thing, he learns what works and then needs fewer tools."
jancivil
KVRAF

13241 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

chk071 wrote:But what's the point in getting bad sound, just for the work and effort to try and make it good sound? Don't we all want to sound good with the least amount of work involved? Why do we use DAW's? We could just use tape machine, and work like in the 70ies, if it was for the work involved to get a good result.

I love working with sound. "to sound good"; well I have ideas that are beyond what any preset will give me, and that's because I really get involved with sound design, the work generate further ideas. People that orchestrate do not have something which is going to sound good 'out of the box'. There is no box. We have to make it happen by craft and art. You're totally missing it.
jancivil
KVRAF

13241 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

Bodhisan wrote:For me, it’s not a matter of mastering a synth - it’s mastering how synths work. If you take note of the members here who know their crap, you won’t see them post on this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDXuoWXCw38
billcarroll
KVRAF

1821 posts since 9 Dec, 2011, from falling

Postby billcarroll; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:25 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

Diva
Greenstorm33
KVRist

227 posts since 27 Apr, 2012

Postby Greenstorm33; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

Currently trying to get to know that synth with the stripes :D The sounds people can get out of that thing (or heck, even out of Zebralette) are amazing. Synthmaster is a close second.
Ed A.
KVRist

169 posts since 26 Jul, 2004, from Outer Bongolia

Postby Ed A.; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

Either Sculpture or Alchemy.
djanthonyw
KVRAF

6817 posts since 20 Jul, 2004, from Boston

Postby djanthonyw; Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:06 pm Re: If You Could Only Master One Soft Synth - Which Would It Be?

One Ping Only.
You are currently reading my signature.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments