Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
goldenhelix
KVRist

183 posts since 19 Apr, 2011

Postby goldenhelix; Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

Can't seem to find out what the actual limitations of the demo are. It seems to let you do most things, I just want to know if there is some sort of time limitation here, because I'd like to really learn how to use it before I decide to buy it. At the moment I am having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around certain aspects of it and if it's going to ultimately be something I hate working with, I would rather find that out before shelling out the cash for it.

It seems like a really awesome tool though. The video tutorials I've seen so far seem to be too fast and don't seem to really help me, so I'm going to try my hand at actually reading about it instead.
wagtunes
KVRAF

9599 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

I'm only going to relate my personal experience. This is no indication that you'll have the same experience.

I was intrigued by the synth. It was very different. So I bought it without really demoing it.

Long story short, it's very buggy, at least for me. The dev isn't the most communicative person in the world and the plugin hasn't been updated in years.

Recently, I emailed him to ask him if I could sell my license as I can't use it in my DAW. He did respond saying I could. But when I emailed him again asking how the process worked, I never heard back.

I would be happy to sell you my license dirt cheap so it wouldn't be much of an investment for you but honestly, I don't know if, after you've made payment to me and I contacted him with your info, he'd even get back to me. And then I'd have to refund you.

Just being straight up about the whole thing. Of all the synths I've ever purchased (and I've purchased over 100 of them) this is the only one that I want to sell.

That should tell you something.

Now, having said all that, if you've downloaded the synth and it's not crashing your system, you're one of the lucky ones and it probably won't give you much trouble.

The only limitation that I remember from the demo was that you couldn't save patches. I don't recall if there was any noise but everything was functional.

Sad part is, I finally did learn how to program it. It took me a very long time and I've been programming synths for years. But if you stick with it, you can get a lot out of this one. It is quite unique. If it didn't constantly crash my DAW after drawing envelopes and modulations, I'd keep it. There is nothing else out there like it. But it's too frustrating for me to use.

Anyway, that's about it for me. If you're interested in buying my license, PM me. But first, email the dev and make sure you hear back from him because if you don't, there's no point.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.
goldenhelix
KVRist

Postby goldenhelix; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:28 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

Thanks, I appreciate the summary. So far it hasn't crashed at all, so I guess it's stable for me (I'm on Mac which, in my brief reading, seems to fare better than PC, but maybe that's not true). I have noticed one or two bugs (the "chop" tool tends to make the mouse disappear, and every now and then I hear pitch deviations and I can't tell if this is a bug or if I just don't understand how the patch is working).

I LOVE the sound of it. As crazy as it gets, everything sounds so musical and fresh. You can get everything from smooth sounding to really sharp and biting, and a lot of sounds that seem like they'd be literally impossible to get with any other synth. I have in one day learned a bit about how it works but there are aspects to it that just still seem impenetrable to me, like how exactly to control what morphs what (the cube and the different colors are still outside my grasp) and just thinking about the different dimensions of the sound is quite different from how you work with basically every other synth under the sun. Like you, I can probably say I'm confident in cracking just about any synth you could throw at me but this thing is another beast entirely. I see it as a bit of a personal challenge but mostly one I would only accept because the sound potential seems so damn worth it!

I am actually tempted by your offer to buy your license, so maybe I'll e-mail the dev first and see what the scoop is and if he writes back I'll PM you.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

goldenhelix wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the summary. So far it hasn't crashed at all, so I guess it's stable for me (I'm on Mac which, in my brief reading, seems to fare better than PC, but maybe that's not true). I have noticed one or two bugs (the "chop" tool tends to make the mouse disappear, and every now and then I hear pitch deviations and I can't tell if this is a bug or if I just don't understand how the patch is working).

I LOVE the sound of it. As crazy as it gets, everything sounds so musical and fresh. You can get everything from smooth sounding to really sharp and biting, and a lot of sounds that seem like they'd be literally impossible to get with any other synth. I have in one day learned a bit about how it works but there are aspects to it that just still seem impenetrable to me, like how exactly to control what morphs what (the cube and the different colors are still outside my grasp) and just thinking about the different dimensions of the sound is quite different from how you work with basically every other synth under the sun. Like you, I can probably say I'm confident in cracking just about any synth you could throw at me but this thing is another beast entirely. I see it as a bit of a personal challenge but mostly one I would only accept because the sound potential seems so damn worth it!

I am actually tempted by your offer to buy your license, so maybe I'll e-mail the dev first and see what the scoop is and if he writes back I'll PM you.

Glad it's stable on your system. Yes, I'm on PC so maybe that's part of it. Like I said, if it worked, it would be one of my favorite synths.

Anyway, yeah, if you're interested, let me know. You'll save a ton of money, not that I don't think the plugin isn't worth $169. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't feel that way. Just stupid me for not testing it more thoroughly.
goldenhelix
KVRist

Postby goldenhelix; Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:50 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

Thanks, I just emailed Daven, so we'll see if he gets back to me. Definitely interested in picking it up more cheaply if possible ;)

I'll keep you posted.
ZeePok
KVRian

829 posts since 22 Aug, 2004, from Edge City, the Low Country

Postby ZeePok; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

I have it too and really enjoy it. You can indeed get very unique 'energetic' sounds out of it. E.g. it can do a mean screeching guitar sound easily. That 'IR-thing' is quite unique.

Some things, like the cube thing and the 'mod domains', are quite hard to get your head around

Never had any crash problems. (PC Win7-32) For what I understood it mainly has problems with Cubase.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:22 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

ZeePok wrote: 
I have it too and really enjoy it. You can indeed get very unique 'energetic' sounds out of it. E.g. it can do a mean screeching guitar sound easily. That 'IR-thing' is quite unique.

Some things, like the cube thing and the 'mod domains', are quite hard to get your head around

Never had any crash problems. (PC Win7-32) For what I understood it mainly has problems with Cubase.

You got it. That's my DAW. Figures. LOL.
goldenhelix
KVRist

Postby goldenhelix; Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:14 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

Interesting, I guess I should test it out in Cubase (which strangely is my main DAW at the moment but for whatever reason I've been testing it in Ableton, lol).
ZeePok
KVRian

Postby ZeePok; Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:20 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

Goldenhelix: you say the chop tool makes the mouse disappear. Is that only in the 'window' you're editing?

You could try moving the mouse wheel as to enlarge the 'axe' size, that might bring the mouse cursor back. It did for me.
goldenhelix
KVRist

Postby goldenhelix; Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

It doesn't seem to be doing it in Cubase (in which it appears to work fine for me so far *fingers crossed*). It was just disappearing as soon as I clicked to make a "chop" in Ableton. It would come back when I toggled back and forth from another application, so it wasn't too annoying anyways... maybe it would be more annoying the more I use it ;)
ZeePok
KVRian

Postby ZeePok; Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:32 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

OK, one more question: moving to another editor window within Cycle didn't bring the mouse cursor back?

I will try it in Live myself, see how it goes.
goldenhelix
KVRist

Postby goldenhelix; Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 pm Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

I use the view where it's all in one window. Even if I did use the other view, it would be almost impossible to actually switch to a different pane as I can't see where I'm clicking ;) If I move the mouse outside of Cycle, I can see it, and if I click in the Ableton window or somewhere off of Cycle and then back on Cycle, the mouse stays back. Strangely, in Cubase the axe tool doesn't do this and works as it should.

I'm starting to get the hang of this thing too. There are still some things I don't really understand (in particular, the use of the "cube limits" and setting the "red" and "blue" sliders seems to be lost on me, but I watched a user-created video that gave a far better explanation of the morphing than the official tutorial, so now I get that.

One thing I also figured out on my own that you don't even need to draw a waveform to make sound. If you use the spectral filter in "add" mode, you can do additive synthesis. I created a cool little patch I wished I could have saved that sounded delightfully tine-y. One thing I'm wishing is that you could set loop points in the deformers in the same way that you would the other envelopes (preferably with their own "duration" controls). I read on the official forum that Daven says this wouldn't do much good because the deformers aren't time-based, but I have no idea what he's on about when he says that - they absolutely are. He says that the scratch envelope mostly eliminates the need for this but if you could use the deformers as looped oscillators that would open up a ridiculous amount of modulation possibilities.

I hope he ends up getting back to me about the license transfer, because I'm loving this thing so far.
afta8
KVRer

13 posts since 13 Nov, 2017

Postby afta8; Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 am Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

I made a couple of tutorial videos for this:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_BzpcvXJY

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaekB_au6uU

As mentioned earlier it seems development has halted which is a real shame as I haven't really seen this kind of approach to synthesis before and the sound quality is really good.

Certainly a secret weapon type of synth if you can master it. However it is hard to justify shelling out $149 for something that looks like it isn't going to be developed any further (or at least bugfixed)
goldenhelix
KVRist

Postby goldenhelix; Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 am Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

afta8 wrote:I made a couple of tutorial videos for this:

As mentioned earlier it seems development has halted which is a real shame as I haven't really seen this kind of approach to synthesis before and the sound quality is really good.

Certainly a secret weapon type of synth if you can master it. However it is hard to justify shelling out $149 for something that looks like it isn't going to be developed any further (or at least bugfixed)

Thanks, your tutorial was actually the one I referred to above that I watched that made things make sense. :)

Yeah it's a shame it looks like it isn't going anywhere. I am hoping I can get a license transferred from wagtunes and get it for a bit cheaper. I still might be tempted even at the current price, although the idea that it might not be supported anymore is certainly is a bit of a turnoff.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 am Re: Amaranth Cycle demo limitations?

goldenhelix wrote:
afta8 wrote:I made a couple of tutorial videos for this:

Thanks, your tutorial was actually the one I referred to above that I watched that made things make sense. :)

Yeah it's a shame it looks like it isn't going anywhere. I am hoping I can get a license transferred from wagtunes and get it for a bit cheaper. I still might be tempted even at the current price, although the idea that it might not be supported anymore is certainly is a bit of a turnoff.

Still no word from the dev?
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments