@DEVS - If right click doesn't do any thing in your plugin,please make it for fine adjustments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

If right click doesn't do any thing in your plugin,please make it for fine adjustments

Agree
50%
I Agree
No votes
We Agree
20%
Algane
30%

Total votes: 10

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe

I quite like it to reset parameter.

Fine adjustment should be shift modifier key pressed.
Reset to zero/center should be ctrl modifier pressed or double-click.
Numerical input should be alt click.

Some plug-ins have "Reset" on alt, which I dislike.

Right-click should be midi learn or modulation assignment/adjustment.

This is the pretty standard way for finetune.

HiEnergy wrote:Fine adjustment should be shift modifier key pressed.
I am a big fan of Xhips superfine adjustment when both shift and RMB are held.
On high resonance filter frequency knob movements, it sounds truly analog - no stepping at all.
Way way way better than some digital knobs on some hardware analog synths (new Prophets for example).
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

polac wrote:
This is the pretty standard way for finetune.
It should never have been allowed to become ‘standard’, it’s a terrible idea for anyone who only has 2 hands and wants at least one on the actual keyboard to play with

I prefer the idea of zones within knobs that FabFilter has (and Uhbik)

You mean right-drag on knobs and such like is used in Xhip.

Yes, in addition shift should add an additional level of magnification so you can get "fine" and "ultra-fine" settings by applying both.

It's also in my opinion critical to ensure seamless integration between the buttons so you can drag normally, then press both left+right buttons at once and fine-tune, then release the right button and continue on normally without sudden jumps in the parameter value. So the scaling/magnification applies to the change in the parameter but not the parameter itself.

It should also apply to mouse-wheel. In Xhip for example the cutoff control is normally stepped by octave: holding right-mouse or shift will step in semi-tones, and both will step in an even smaller increment (100/12 cents = 8.333~).

Middle-button should reset in addition to control-click and double-click. The reset value for each parameter should also be user adjustable by saving a "reset preset" in addition to a "init preset". So the init would be a plain square or similar, while the "reset" would have mixer levels at zero with oscillators disabled by default.

These are "perfectionist" kinds of things really and I doubt most plug-ins will ever have such time invested toward making them absolutely perfect in every way.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I love how Modartt/Pianoteq do it. Moving a (in this case horizontal, Pianoteq doesn't have knobs) slider left-right is regular precision, moving a slider up-down is high precision (as if you held Shift down). It is really great!

Oddity is like that too,works great.

Shift + left mouse button is the default fine modifier, and i'd like devs to keep it that way. Too many non-standard modifiers in plugins anyway. If then, i'd say that right click should open a menu (if present) where you can define midi CC's, like it is in many plugins. I really hate when the same operations do something completely different in another plugin. We need more standard-ism. ;)

Sometimes the "standard method" is actually crap though. Innovation is based on experimentation and risk taking.

Imagine if everyone always did things the "standard way", we'd all be stuck on a Apple II green screen.

By 2277:
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

And alienating users, who just got used to the method most devs are using, in the process.

But, seriously, i've come along loads of plugins which do fine tune by Shift + left click action, and i don't see a reason why devs should implement yet another key or mouse action for that. Right click on a parameter opens up a menu in the synths supporting right click action, and that also should be a standard. I don't think it really matters if you can make something even more logical or not. You posted a good picture about the implementation of standards once, and why it's a bad idea to implement yet another. I see this well applying here.

I only like to use the mousewheel, which is one reason I like Sylenth1 a lot. Almost everything is accessible via mouseover and mousewheel, hardly any clicking required.

I hate clicking and dragging, it requires too much attention.
Ideally the mousewheel speed would determine the resolution, i.e. the slower I turn it, the more precise. If I remember correctly, Waves Element works like that.

Pressing keys AND using the mouse is a stupid solution.

Shift/left click has always been a bad idea, it's a coder's solution, not a performer's one. It means it's impossible to fine tune a param without taking both hands off the keyboard, which means then you can't hear back your changes.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Pressing keys AND using the mouse is a stupid solution.
Not really. You'll quickly run out of mouse action, considering the amount of physical keys on a standard mouse.

Return to “Instruments”