u-he Repro (Repro-1 & Repro-5) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

It's enough to lick and sniff at it :hihi:

Was just watching this old studio video where Michael McDonald was playing on a Prophet 5 (as far as I can tell from 3:17), but I am not sure which sound. The lead even?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5i7-jHcVDE

Anyway, I know it was also heavily used by Rufus and other R&B artists back then. Maybe someone should make an old-skool R&B sound set for Repro 5? :wink:

(Btw, anybody know what might have been used for the synth choir in the intro and later on? Fairlight? The song was recorded in 1984...)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Was just watching this old studio video where Michael McDonald was playing on a Prophet 5 (as far as I can tell from 3:17), but I am not sure which sound. The lead even?

Anyway, I know it was also heavily used by Rufus and other R&B artists back then. Maybe someone should make an old-skool R&B sound set for Repro 5? :wink:

(Btw, anybody know what might have been used for the synth choir in the intro and later on? Fairlight? The song was recorded in 1984...)
Well, I can tell you what keyboard the choir wasn't. It's not a Kurzweil K1000 as it didn't come out until 1988. In 1983, given that there wasn't a whole lot out at the time that did anything close to "convincing" choirs, the Fairlight is a pretty safe bet.

As for what McDonald was playing on the Prophet 5, not a clue. There's no info on it anywhere online.

As to creating an R&B set for Repro-5, what? All 5 sounds? I don't think even the most creative sound designer could create a large enough library with just R&B sounds to justify selling it.

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Was just watching this old studio video where Michael McDonald was playing on a Prophet 5 (as far as I can tell from 3:17), but I am not sure which sound. The lead even?

Well, I can tell you what keyboard the choir wasn't. It's not a Kurzweil K1000 as it didn't come out until 1988. In 1983, given that there wasn't a whole lot out at the time that did anything close to "convincing" choirs, the Fairlight is a pretty safe bet.

As for what McDonald was playing on the Prophet 5, not a clue. There's no info on it anywhere online.

As to creating an R&B set for Repro-5, what? All 5 sounds? I don't think even the most creative sound designer could create a large enough library with just R&B sounds to justify selling it.
all five sounds of what? R&B (especially in the 80s) had a pretty wide palette of sounds. Plenty of variation in the bass sounds, lots and lots of stabs used for chords, a metric fuckton of poly key/ pad sounds, and then plenty of trasition/ fx used for accents along with bits of synthesized percussion. Hell, lots of the "rock" in the 80s borrowed heavily from the R&B sound palette of the time. Anyone who made this patchbank could sell it to the everybody who's trying to get their stranger things/ retro vibe going. I would imagine that such a bank would sell like the hottest of cakes.

Repro, a bank of the most playable 80s leads and keys etc to go with it, and a good set of the pcm based drum machine sounds can capture the vibe tons of producers are going for these days.

Not saying it's a good idea from any perspective but a sales one (because of the music that would then get made with it), but it would work. A hundred and twenty-seven well done 80s R&B patches would be a hit provided you have a place to sell them.

Just saying.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

all five sounds of what? R&B (especially in the 80s) had a pretty wide palette of sounds. Plenty of variation in the bass sounds, lots and lots of stabs used for chords, a metric fuckton of poly key/ pad sounds, and then plenty of trasition/ fx used for accents along with bits of synthesized percussion. Hell, lots of the "rock" in the 80s borrowed heavily from the R&B sound palette of the time. Anyone who made this patchbank could sell it to the everybody who's trying to get their stranger things/ retro vibe going. I would imagine that such a bank would sell like the hottest of cakes.

Repro, a bank of the most playable 80s leads and keys etc to go with it, and a good set of the pcm based drum machine sounds can capture the vibe tons of producers are going for these days.

Not saying it's a good idea from any perspective but a sales one (because of the music that would then get made with it), but it would work. A hundred and twenty-seven well done 80s R&B patches would be a hit provided you have a place to sell them.

Just saying.
I probably should have been more specific. A lot, and I mean a LOT of the so called R&B sounds of the era were prevalent in rock as well and most likely originated there. There weren't a ton of R&B sounds that were "exclusively" R&B sounds, meaning that's the ONLY place you heard them.

Point is, a library of basic sounds of the era in general would probably sell to those who are into that era as so many of the sounds were interchangeable. Not many were R&B only material.

I don't think so, Rock synths have always been lame compared to R&B synths. The latter actually came from 70's Fusion and Jazz in my view. Herbie Hancock, Quincy Jones etc. They were synth pioneers.

80s R&B was often full of synths, think of SOS Band, Loose Ends etc. Lots of sounds that were never used in Rock music.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't think so, Rock synths have always been lame compared to R&B synths. The latter actually came from 70's Fusion and Jazz in my view. Herbie Hancock, Quincy Jones etc. They were synth pioneers.

80s R&B was often full of synths, think of SOS Band, Loose Ends etc. Lots of sounds that were never used in Rock music.
Depends on what rock music you listened to. Sure, if all you listened to were the "hits" yeah, same old crap. But there were underground rock bands that took synths to places nobody else did. So by the time the R&B guys got a hold of these things, all they were doing was rehashing what the true pioneers were doing long before.

And this has been true throughout the history of music.

List Rock bands and specific songs that used typical R&B bass sounds for instance, before R&B bands did...

Rock itself evolved mainly from black music, mostly Blues and early R&B, so I think you got your chronology backwards...

fluffy_little_something wrote:List Rock bands and specific songs that used typical R&B bass sounds for instance, before R&B bands did...

Rock itself evolved mainly from black music, mostly Blues and early R&B, so I think you got your chronology backwards...
Hey, if you want to go down rock and roll and blues memory lane, sure. But back when blues was first a thing, there were no synths...

PERIOD.

So what does that have to do with anything?

And you yourself just said, rock evolved from blues. So what, you think R&B musicians were the first ones to pick up a synth and do cool bass lines with it?

That's so laughable I can't even be bothered with arguing this anymore.

You need to get out and listen to other rock besides the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

wagtunes wrote:Hey, if you want to go down rock and roll and blues memory lane, sure. But back when blues was first a thing, there were no synths...

PERIOD.

And you yourself just said, rock evolved from blues. So what, you think R&B musicians were the first ones to pick up a synth and do cool bass lines with it?

You need to get out and listen to other rock besides the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.
Basically, yes, well, their predecessors rather as I mentioned earlier, namely Fusion and Funk artists were the first in my view.

Again, I am still waiting for your examples of specific Rock songs that used R&B synth basses before R&B artists themselves did...

I never listen to crap such as the Beatles or Rolling Stones...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Hey, if you want to go down rock and roll and blues memory lane, sure. But back when blues was first a thing, there were no synths...

PERIOD.

Basically, yes, well, their predecessors rather as I mentioned earlier, namely Fusion and Funk artists were the first in my view.

Again, I am still waiting for your examples of specific Rock songs that used R&B synth basses before R&B artists themselves did...

I never listen to crap such as the Beatles or Rolling Stones...
I'm not doing your research for you. Go to Wiki. Look up "list of rock bands" and write down all the ones you've NEVER heard of, pick out all the ones from 1969 to 1989 and go listen to their music.

In rock trivia, I will bury you. I walked around literally with a radio glued to my head for over 25 years before the 90s hit and rock basically went to hell in a hand cart. Thanks to all the underground stations we had in our area (WDHA, WSOU, and my own Alma mater college station whose call letters I forget) there wasn't a rock band in existence that I didn't know. If I sold all the albums I own, I could retire to Beverly Hills.

So please, don't even attempt to match me on rock trivia from the 60s to the 80s. I will demolish you.

And this is all the time I'm wasting on this nonsense.

PS - And we're talking synth "sounds" not playing style.

I think it is obvious to anyone here that you can't name specific songs as requested :wink:

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think it is obvious to anyone here that you can't name specific songs as requested :wink:
The only thing obvious is that you're trying to bait me and I'm not taking the bait.

But nice try.

Well, you made a specific claim, so you should be able to back it up with examples...

Return to “Instruments”