Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
dumbledog
KVRian

527 posts since 24 Sep, 2014

Postby dumbledog; Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 pm Re: X-mas 2017

AnX wrote:To use your oft used car analogy...the toyota corolla (?) is the best selling car.... is it the best car? No.

Mine is. 1998, 220k miles on that sucker and I love it and hell my next car will probably be another Corolla. Gat dang right I'm boring.
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

6898 posts since 13 Jun, 2001, from Somewhere else, on principle

Postby BONES; Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:25 pm Re: X-mas 2017

zenophilix wrote:Excuse, me what. :lol: Did everyone suddenly forget the buttery rich tone of some of the things that were recorded at Sound City?

I don't even know what Sound City is. Why would I?
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Surface Pro 2 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, Seaboard Rise 25
Teksonik
KVRAF

12283 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:29 pm Re: X-mas 2017

BONES wrote: Go into any physical music shop and see what most of the hardware they stock is.

I happened by one of the local Guitar Centers the other day and had a play with some of the new hardware synths. First off all of them were set to some completely useless sound which is the fault of the people who work in the keyboard department (I didn't actually see an employee in that corner). Or someone went through before me and just started turning knobs at random...... :hihi:

The keyboard area is just a small corner of the shop compared to Guitars (surprise) and Drums, Live Sound etc. I think the Acoustic Guitar room might be bigger than the Keyboard nook. When I worked in a music store here in the mid-late 80's the keyboard department took up almost 50 % of the shop and was always busy. Back then analog had fallen out of favor and the new sounds were all the rage. (D-50 DX-7 ESQ-1 etc etc).

If that shop is any indication I don't think hardware synths are flying off the shelves these days.... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
zenophilix
KVRian

649 posts since 21 Apr, 2016

Postby zenophilix; Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:15 pm Re: X-mas 2017

BONES wrote:
zenophilix wrote:Excuse, me what. :lol: Did everyone suddenly forget the buttery rich tone of some of the things that were recorded at Sound City?

I don't even know what Sound City is. Why would I?

Oh you poor thing.. :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Postby BONES; Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:28 pm Re: X-mas 2017

I doubt it. I couldn't give a rats where anything is recorded, it's the music that matters.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Surface Pro 2 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, Seaboard Rise 25
Teksonik
KVRAF

Postby Teksonik; Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm Re: X-mas 2017

It's a famous (in the states) recording studio. Quite an impressive discography. I'm not sure if it's well known outside of the states. :shrug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_Studios
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Postby BONES; Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm Re: X-mas 2017

In the discography on that Wikipedia page, there is only one album I have even listened to on a proper stereo - NIN's With Teeth - and it's awful. Someone gave me the a promo CD of it and I gave it away after about two runs through.

What makes a great studio great is the vibe, the attitude, the ambience. You can make great music with awful equipment, just as you can make awful music with great equipment. What most artists and record companies will look for is that aura/vibe of creativity that some studios have. That's what artists pay for, and why a good producer is worth their weight in saffron, not the desk or anything technical. e.g. I read an article about Alberts' Studio once, where their house engineer was waxing lyrical about the new Alesis mixer they had been using to do drum sub-mixes and how fantastic it was and how it had changed the way they worked. I was so impressed I went and bought one, even though it was quite large and hard to manage in my set-up, only to discover that it was the noisiest, crappiest thing ever.
Teksonik
KVRAF

Postby Teksonik; Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:06 pm Re: X-mas 2017

There is a fascinating documentary on Sound City done by Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters. They talk about the "vibe, the attitude, the ambience" of the studio and the soundboard is apparently the stuff of legends. I found the documentary streaming on Hulu or Netflix, can't remember which. You could probably find it on Youtube. I found it a very interesting watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306745/
zenophilix
KVRian

649 posts since 21 Apr, 2016

Postby zenophilix; Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 pm Re: X-mas 2017

Teksonik wrote:There is a fascinating documentary on Sound City done by Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters. They talk about the "vibe, the attitude, the ambience" of the studio and the soundboard is apparently the stuff of legends. I found the documentary streaming on Hulu or Netflix, can't remember which. You could probably find it on Youtube. I found it a very interesting watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306745/

I loved that movie. Hearing the difference between music recorded at Sound City and then later music that was recorded digitally was absolutely night and day. Jaw. Dropped.

BONES wrote:In the discography on that Wikipedia page, there is only one album I have even listened to on a proper stereo - NIN's With Teeth - and it's awful. Someone gave me the a promo CD of it and I gave it away after about two runs through.

What makes a great studio great is the vibe, the attitude, the ambience. You can make great music with awful equipment, just as you can make awful music with great equipment. What most artists and record companies will look for is that aura/vibe of creativity that some studios have. That's what artists pay for, and why a good producer is worth their weight in saffron, not the desk or anything technical. e.g. I read an article about Alberts' Studio once, where their house engineer was waxing lyrical about the new Alesis mixer they had been using to do drum sub-mixes and how fantastic it was and how it had changed the way they worked. I was so impressed I went and bought one, even though it was quite large and hard to manage in my set-up, only to discover that it was the noisiest, crappiest thing ever.

Please. Educate yourself. This is painful to read.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.
morelia
KVRAF

4308 posts since 15 May, 2002, from Brisbane , Australia

Postby morelia; Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 pm Re: X-mas 2017

I don't know why people are giving someone a hard time about not knowing Sound City. Unless you are interested or involved in making music why would you know about it?
My Music >>> °morelia ° Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 12gb, Windows 7 (64), Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
Teksonik
KVRAF

Postby Teksonik; Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:34 am Re: X-mas 2017

morelia wrote:I don't know why people are giving someone a hard time about not knowing Sound City.

I'm not giving BONES a hard time. I'm simply pointing out the facts about Sound City and recommended a cool movie to watch. Lot of history in that Studio. I'm not saying Sound City is the best Studio ever but it is an interesting story.

morelia wrote:Unless you are interested or involved in making music why would you know about it?

Ummmm....you do realize BONES is "interested or involved in making music" right ? He's toured all around the world with his band Novakill and released several albums.

Should someone outside of the U.S. be expected to know about Sound City ? No of course not but like I said it's an interesting story. I would think most musicians would be interested in the Documentary. I'm going to watch it again....... :shrug:
jacqueslacouth
KVRian

794 posts since 17 Nov, 2004

Postby jacqueslacouth; Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 am Re: X-mas 2017

Teksonik wrote:
morelia wrote:I don't know why people are giving someone a hard time about not knowing Sound City.

I'm not giving BONES a hard time. I'm simply pointing out the facts about Sound City and recommended a cool movie to watch. Lot of history in that Studio. I'm not saying Sound City is the best Studio ever but it is an interesting story.

morelia wrote:Unless you are interested or involved in making music why would you know about it?

Ummmm....you do realize BONES is "interested or involved in making music" right ? He's toured all around the world with his band Novakill and released several albums.

Should someone outside of the U.S. be expected to know about Sound City ? No of course not but like I said it's an interesting story. I would think most musicians would be interested in the Documentary. I'm going to watch it again....... :shrug:

I had never heard of Bones or Novakill either, but so glad you brought this up. I just watched a couple of their vids on Youtube and I positively love it....great sound. :tu:
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Postby BONES; Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm Re: X-mas 2017

zenophilix wrote:Please. Educate yourself. This is painful to read.

If you're happy to pay for a session, I'll happily go to wherever Sound City is and educate myself. But the music in that list is just rubbish, stuff I have little or no respect for on any level.
morelia
KVRAF

4308 posts since 15 May, 2002, from Brisbane , Australia

Postby morelia; Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:45 pm Re: X-mas 2017

Teksonik wrote:Ummmm....you do realize BONES is "interested or involved in making music" right ? He's toured all around the world with his band Novakill and released several albums.

I don't even know who BONES is. Why would I?
My Music >>> °morelia ° Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 12gb, Windows 7 (64), Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
dumbledog
KVRian

527 posts since 24 Sep, 2014

Postby dumbledog; Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 pm Re: X-mas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments