Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
The NAMM Show

The KVR Audio Instruments forum is sponsored by the Winter NAMM Show. More than a trade show, NAMM brings together the music, sound and event technology communities for exhibits, workshops, performances, events and much more. This year's show takes place January 25-28. See you there!

Read more at www.namm.org

X-mas 2017

lnikj
KVRAF
 
1687 posts since 23 May, 2005, from the North Cornwall coast

Postby lnikj; Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:01 am Re: X-mas 2017

Lotuzia wrote:Merry Xmas to all :hug: :hug:


Long sleep was it? :D
User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRian
 
739 posts since 22 May, 2017

Postby Russell Grand; Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:07 am Re: X-mas 2017

BONES wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:As an atheist, I don't celebrate Xmas

Luckily for you, then, that Xmas is a Pagan celebration, co-opted by Christianity, so celbrating it is really a slap in the face to Christians everywhere. They are just too dumb to realise.
Russell Grand wrote:... it seems Roland is already moving away from analog gear. They still haven't figured out how to listen to their customers, or they just don't care what customers want. That's not a company I can support. (Sorry, rant over :oops: )

Or maybe Roland have seen just how little interest there is for their analogue synths and have decided to concentrate on instruments that people actually buy? I can't imagine they'd lose interest if it was generating income for them, can you?



How little interest there is for their analog synths? :lol: You've got to be kidding. There are numerous forum posts across the net of people scratching their heads and bitching about how Roland's new boutiques are no longer analog. And have you seen some of the stupid sh*t Roland does? It's not like this is the first time the company has gone against the grain and done exactly the opposite of what its customers want. There has been a rebirth of analog gear and yet Roland seems to be the only tone deaf company to go back to virtual analog at this point in time after having success with analog. I suppose next you'll tell me Gibson was justified in axing Cakewalk because there wasn't an entire user base out who was still willingly plunking down cash for upgrades, right?
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
 
6664 posts since 13 Jun, 2001, from Somewhere else, on principle

Postby BONES; Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:28 pm Re: X-mas 2017

There is a whole world out there beyond internet forums and it is full of the kinds of musicians who actually spend money. Most of the keyboard players I know don't make dance music and have less than no interest in analogue synths. Go into any physical music shop and see what most of the hardware they stock is. You won't find too many synths at all, unless it's a specialist shop that caters to DJs and "producers" because synths, analogue or digital, don't really sell in big numbers now that most of us work in software. Even Korg are only doing it on the cheap because they know that the market won't pay proper money for the things.

It's far too niche for the big brands to bother with. A small company like Elektron can do it but big companies have big overheads and they need to sell in large quantities to be viable. That's undoubtedly why the lone analogue synth in Roland's line-up is actually from Studio Electronics.
XPS 13 (Core i7, Win10) + Orion + Ultranova + Rocket + Pulse 2 + Seaboard Rise 25 + Yamaha AG06
NOVAkILL
User avatar
melomood
KVRist
 
208 posts since 15 Oct, 2017, from U.S.

Postby melomood; Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:44 pm Re: X-mas 2017

I decked the halls,made merry (still doing that part),sold seven loaves of my banana nut bread,bought Utopia by Bjork,did a reinstall of windows to weed out the drive real good & start fresh for 2018.
Goodbye,old vst's that I kinda stopped using altogether.
User avatar
dumbledog
KVRist
 
487 posts since 24 Sep, 2014

Postby dumbledog; Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm Re: X-mas 2017

BONES wrote:analogue
analogue
analogue

Dude this is a thread about Christmas :neutral:
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
 
6664 posts since 13 Jun, 2001, from Somewhere else, on principle

Postby BONES; Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:56 pm Re: X-mas 2017

A truly analogue time of year.
XPS 13 (Core i7, Win10) + Orion + Ultranova + Rocket + Pulse 2 + Seaboard Rise 25 + Yamaha AG06
NOVAkILL
User avatar
egbert101
KVRAF
 
1828 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:44 pm Re: X-mas 2017

dumbledog wrote:
BONES wrote:analogue
analogue
analogue

Dude this is a thread about Christmas :neutral:


Guy is obviously drunk and is unaware that Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Moog, Dave Smith Instruments, Arturia and all the various Eurorack companies still make analog synthesizers. :hihi:
Current financial status: Peasant.
User avatar
melomood
KVRist
 
208 posts since 15 Oct, 2017, from U.S.

Postby melomood; Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:28 pm Re: X-mas 2017

O analogue O analogue
How faithful are thy filters
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
 
6664 posts since 13 Jun, 2001, from Somewhere else, on principle

Postby BONES; Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:25 pm Re: X-mas 2017

egbert101 wrote:Guy is obviously drunk and is unaware that Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Moog, Dave Smith Instruments, Arturia and all the various Eurorack companies still make analog synthesizers. :hihi:

Not "still" but "again". For 20 years or more nobody was making analogue synths because nobody cared about them. Now they are doing it again, mostly in a very limited way, because the market is still quite small. Most of us just want the sound, we don't care how it's made, which is why you'd have to have rocks in your head to buy a Minilogue when you could have a Mininova or microKorg for the same or less money. The real attraction for me was the Minilogue's and Monologue's one knob per function programmability, the fact that it is analogue was completely irrelevant to my buying decision, although it was instrumental in my decision to sell them because it made them far too limited.
XPS 13 (Core i7, Win10) + Orion + Ultranova + Rocket + Pulse 2 + Seaboard Rise 25 + Yamaha AG06
NOVAkILL
User avatar
dumbledog
KVRist
 
487 posts since 24 Sep, 2014

Postby dumbledog; Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm Re: X-mas 2017

You seem reeeal invested in how everyone makes their purchasing decisions and it's kinda weird
User avatar
zenophilix
KVRian
 
529 posts since 21 Apr, 2016

Postby zenophilix; Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm Re: X-mas 2017

BONES wrote:There is a whole world out there beyond internet forums and it is full of the kinds of musicians who actually spend money. Most of the keyboard players I know don't make dance music and have less than no interest in analogue synths.


Dude. You honestly have no clue what the f :neutral: k you're talking about. Hardware analogue synths are the holy grail of the majority of producers who utilize synthesizers, at least if you look at the "world beyond internet forums" as you say. Why do you think Minimoogs go for $2k-plus on eBay? 3 grand for a Juno 60? $10,000 for an ARP 2600. These things are highly sought after, and for good reason. You can't beat the sound of true analogue components.

And stop saying analogue. It just makes you look ridiculous.

I have nothing against you personally, but this kind of talk gets on my nerves too much to stay silent.

Russell Grand wrote:There are numerous forum posts across the net of people scratching their heads and bitching about how Roland's new boutiques are no longer analog.


Wait, they aren't? Damn, you just dashed my hopes of owning an analogue 808 recreation. :cry:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.
User avatar
egbert101
KVRAF
 
1828 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:06 am Re: X-mas 2017

zenophilix wrote:I have nothing against you personally, but this kind of talk gets on my nerves too much to stay silent.


Welcome to KVR Instruments. :hihi:
Current financial status: Peasant.
User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRian
 
943 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:41 am Re: X-mas 2017

My proposal is:
Change thread title to X-mas 2018 or
Lock it!
:P
Music was my first love ...
atmospheric & experimental music
http://www.mrtnjnk.bandcamp.com
http://www.trenzendenz.bandcamp.com
User avatar
zenophilix
KVRian
 
529 posts since 21 Apr, 2016

Postby zenophilix; Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:19 pm Re: X-mas 2017

egbert101 wrote:
zenophilix wrote:I have nothing against you personally, but this kind of talk gets on my nerves too much to stay silent.


Welcome to KVR Instruments. :hihi:

:hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
 
6664 posts since 13 Jun, 2001, from Somewhere else, on principle

Postby BONES; Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:12 pm Re: X-mas 2017

zenophilix wrote:Dude. You honestly have no clue what the f :neutral: k you're talking about. Hardware analogue synths are the holy grail of the majority of producers who utilize synthesizers, at least if you look at the "world beyond internet forums" as you say.

Only within dance music.
Why do you think Minimoogs go for $2k-plus on eBay?

Because people are complete idiots. In 1990 I couldn't give my two TB303s away because everyone saw them for the rubbish they are. Then, all of a sudden and for no valid reason, they are worth $1000. It's a joke.
3 grand for a Juno 60? $10,000 for an ARP 2600. These things are highly sought after, and for good reason. You can't beat the sound of true analogue components.

Of course you can. For 99% of sounds that people use, you would never know the difference. It's only in a tiny number of situations that you can get anything from an analogue synth that its digital recreation wouldn't be able to mimic perfectly, and there is absolutely no reason to think that one is better than the other, they are just different. e.g. If you think a real MiniMoog sounds even 1% better than The Legend, you are fooling yourself because the fact is that The Legend is about 100 times more capable than any MiniMoog ever was.
And stop saying analogue. It just makes you look ridiculous.

No, it just shows me who is actually ridiculous because there is no reason in the world why it should annoy anyone.

Talk is cheap but if you want to change my mind, you have to convince me by proving your point. Put up some blind side-by-side audio demos and see who can tell the difference. I did it about 10 years ago when I had a physical Novation K-Station and it's plug-in equivalent, the V-Station, because people were saying exactly the same thing about digital hardware versus a plugin. A dozen or so people took the plunge and the only two who got it right didn't hear any difference in the synth but they were able to detect the extra noise that you get when you run hardware through cables.

I might try to borrow a Korg Odyssey and see if I can do it myself but I'm not sure I'll be able to get my hands on one.
XPS 13 (Core i7, Win10) + Orion + Ultranova + Rocket + Pulse 2 + Seaboard Rise 25 + Yamaha AG06
NOVAkILL
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments