Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP Odyssey M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

I want to throw some money TAL's way soon, I own UNO LX, but the Sampler and Bassline 101 are both high on my wish list. $60 is the exactly perfect price point for me. I want to buy Diva again, but funds are low and no real chance at that changing. I learned a lesson selling it though: it's better to have Diva and no money than money and no Diva. But anyway. It is a funny addiction to want so many plugins.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Being perfectly honest, Korg's ARP Odyssey is the first plugin I have actually, really wanted. EVER. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to have The Legend and the other Korg VSTi but I bought the whole collection because they were there and cheap. I got The Legend for free and for a year or so it just sat in my VST folder unused because I never felt like I needed to use it. I put up with DUNE and Analog Lab but I mostly have those because my bandmate uses them, not because I wanted them. I had DUNE/DUNE 2 sitting there for 7 or 8 years, too (funny how time flies), and I'd never bothered with it, either. I still don't like using it but there is no denying the quality of it's output so I bite the bullet and load it up now and then.

(If you can name the song and artist quoted in brackets above, you'll earn a sliver of kudos.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

braj wrote:I want to throw some money TAL's way soon, I own UNO LX, but the Sampler and Bassline 101 are both high on my wish list. $60 is the exactly perfect price point for me. I want to buy Diva again, but funds are low and no real chance at that changing. I learned a lesson selling it though: it's better to have Diva and no money than money and no Diva. But anyway. It is a funny addiction to want so many plugins.
UNO LX. What is that an emulation of and how is it?

It's a Juno-60 emulation, and it's supposed to be pretty good. TAL is great, in general.

chk071 wrote:It's a Juno-60 emulation, and it's supposed to be pretty good. TAL is great, in general.
I have their free synths (some of the few I have) and they're pretty good. Nice sound.

braj wrote:I got an email today that said there's an update with aax support, not that it matters to me, but good to see they are actually working on the plugins.
True, but they announced the improved GUIs were coming on 12-21-17. How long will this process take? I guess they're going to release the updated GUIs all at once, instead of just releasing the improved Wavestation first, and then the rest following (hint, hint!).

KORG, the Arp Odyssey and AAX support are wonderful, but the updated GUIs are coming up on 14 years for a fix! C'mon KORG!

So Is the korg arp really that much of an improvement in authenticity to the gforce one? Still no korg demo right?

wagtunes wrote:
braj wrote:I want to throw some money TAL's way soon, I own UNO LX, but the Sampler and Bassline 101 are both high on my wish list. $60 is the exactly perfect price point for me. I want to buy Diva again, but funds are low and no real chance at that changing. I learned a lesson selling it though: it's better to have Diva and no money than money and no Diva. But anyway. It is a funny addiction to want so many plugins.
UNO LX. What is that an emulation of and how is it?
I didn’t pay attention to it at first because I used to have diva so I didn’t think I needed an accurate Juno. Plus I didn’t used to fully appreciate the Juno’s specific sound. However lately I’ve really grown to appreciate it quite a bit and spent some time getting to know and compare the different Juno emulations. I enjoy it’s simplicity. As far as authenticity Tal Uno is up there with the very best like repro, legend, Roland cloud. It captures the Roland magic that diva doesn’t quite (although diva is great in its own right). And while I don’t like the Tal bass line as much as the Roland cloud 101 since it really misses the bass and punch that the original was famous for (though does nice leads and pads), the tal uno stands up well against the Roland cloud Juno 106, which is a little silkier than the uno but actually the uno has more bite. I’d say the uno is worth it for Roland lovers even if you have the cloud.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:So Is the korg arp really that much of an improvement in authenticity to the gforce one? Still no korg demo right?
I prefer the gforce one. The difference is definitely not worth the extra CPU use.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

chk071 wrote:It's a Juno-60 emulation, and it's supposed to be pretty good. TAL is great, in general.
I thought it was a Juno-106 emulation, rather.

EvilDragon wrote:
I thought it was a Juno-106 emulation, rather.
TAL is Juno 60, Roland Cloud is 106.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:So Is the korg arp really that much of an improvement in authenticity to the gforce one? Still no korg demo right?
At 69 dollars to get a very nice Arp emulation, I consider the Korg Arp cheap.

The Korg Arp definitely sound better and is closer to the original (but with unison and sequencer). The preset system is also somewhat better than Gforce Oddity.

Oddity can do more stuff as it has added stuff like extra envelopes and lfo's.
The sound is certainly OK. It's only when you put the sound next to each other, that you could have an 'issue' with Oddity.

If you put the sound next to each other, the Oddity is chocolate and the Korg Arp is Belgian Chocolate. :D Both are nice, but Belgian chocolate is of course la crème de la crème.

And I'm referring to oddity 1. Suposedly oddity 2 improved the sound a bit and then added all their awesome morphing and per parameter modulation. I never bothered to upgrade though. I wouldn't have gotten the Korg one without it being included in the bundle.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:
I prefer the gforce one. The difference is definitely not worth the extra CPU use.
Not even for half the money?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I was listening to some demos of the Korg Oddyssey VST and I have to admit that it comes closer to hardware. The Oddity is nice but the engine is a bit older. But the question is, has the CPU usage been improved at all? I've read reports of it taking lots of CPU just sitting idle. Is it a hog even used in mono/duo modes?

Still can't find a demo so can't try it out. Are these Korg synths transferable?

Return to “Instruments”