Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP Odyssey M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

EnGee wrote:I have just seen your video. Yes man! You definitely have a problem! Your CPU is a very good one. I really suspect the Asio driver.
800 buffer is too low. What if you make it 256 with 44.1 khz?
I really encourage you to test Asio4all. You can uninstall it later.
Thank you for the suggestion: if I had any problems with any other plugins with my laptop, I would instantly follow your advice. Now, I hesitate, what is the expression in English, in my country we way something like "If you run for a wolf, be aware not bump into a bear"...

I just tried it on my desktop i7-6700, FL Studio 12, Primary Sound driver (Realtek) - 3008smp(69ms) buffer:
Preset 1 - playing 8 note chord -> 13% CPU

Have you tried it in another DAW?

A screenshot...

Ok, a 6700HQ isn't as fast, but the difference shouldn't be that huge... :neutral:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yes, change your asio buffer to 512, 256, 128
some plugins don't play well with certain buffer size

carrieres wrote:yes, change your asio buffer to 512, 256, 128
In my example above: Realtek + Asio4All (256smp) = 15% CPU
Maybe something wrong with Windows? Ableton? Disable Wifi?
edit: I use 44,1 kHz

T-CM11 wrote:
carrieres wrote:yes, change your asio buffer to 512, 256, 128
In my example above: Realtek + Asio4All (256smp) = 15% CPU
Maybe something wrong with Windows? Ableton? Disable Wifi?
edit: I use 44,1 kHz
I tried different buffer sizes, it helps to some degree, but I don´t think its a solution.

As said, if any other symptoms with any other plugins, or otherwise in the computer performance, I would suspect my laptop settings, the Win 10 OS updates, the Live etc. etc. But because Odyssey is the only problem, this can´t be the case.

Harry_HH wrote: I tried different buffer sizes, it helps to some degree, but I don´t think its a solution.
I've just posted that there's little difference between 2 very different buffer sizes (and drivers)... on my system.
Harry_HH wrote: As said, if any other symptoms with any other plugins, or otherwise in the computer performance, I would suspect my laptop settings, the Win 10 OS updates, the Live etc. etc. But because Odyssey is the only problem, this can´t be the case.
You're saying that those variables are irrelevant... so what's left? Have you tried on 44,1 kHz yet?
Last edited by T-CM11 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry_HH wrote:
EnGee wrote:I have just seen your video. Yes man! You definitely have a problem! Your CPU is a very good one. I really suspect the Asio driver.
800 buffer is too low. What if you make it 256 with 44.1 khz?
I really encourage you to test Asio4all. You can uninstall it later.
Thank you for the suggestion: if I had any problems with any other plugins with my laptop, I would instantly follow your advice. Now, I hesitate, what is the expression in English, in my country we way something like "If you run for a wolf, be aware not bump into a bear"...
I understand what you mean but I don't know/remember the expression in English as I'm not a native speaker. Well, I don't think you would 'bump into a bear', most likely into a peaceful rabbit ;) But it is your call of course :)

T-CM11 wrote:I just tried it on my desktop i7-6700, FL Studio 12, Primary Sound driver (Realtek) - 3008smp(69ms) buffer:
Preset 1 - playing 8 note chord -> 13% CPU

Have you tried it in another DAW?
I have reported earlier in this thread, too, the same figures: I have in my studio desktop the same processor as you with 16 RAM, the CPU value in the same level you say.

As repeated many times: my theory is, before better is stated, that in the certain combination of processor type, OS, DAW, the Odyessey hits the way processor can handle the load. But this is not a individual computer dilemma, the high CPU hits reported by other people in this (and other) thread(s) show that.
Odyssey is badly optimized/programmed, and some DAW-combinations are especially vulnerable.
Unfortunately mine laptop is one of them.
I don´t believe its ASIO driver etc., because this showed with other plugins as well.

Harry_HH wrote: As repeated many times: my theory is, before better is stated, that in the certain combination of processor type, OS, DAW
You can't change the CPU in your laptop, changing the OS is a lot of work... so have you tried another DAW yet? (maybe just download a demo of Cubase, S1, FL etc...) It won't solve your problem in your DAW of choice, but it might just tell you something (or not, depending on the outcome).
Last edited by T-CM11 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-CM11 wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: As repeated many times: my theory is, before better is stated, that in the certain combination of processor type, OS, DAW
You can't change the CPU in your laptop, changing the OS is a lot of work... so have you tried another DAW yet? (maybe just download a demo of Cubase, S1, etc...) It won't solve your problem in your DAW of choice, but it might just tell you something (or not, depending on the outcome).
???

I have reported in this thread both of the use of my laptop and desktop.

Harry_HH wrote: I have reported in this thread both of the use of my laptop and desktop.
I've seen the video of Ableton Live on your laptop. Maybe I've missed something? So you have tried another DAW on that laptop?

T-CM11 wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: I have reported in this thread both of the use of my laptop and desktop.
I've seen the video of Ableton Live on your laptop. Maybe I've missed something? So you have tried another DAW on that laptop?
Yes, you have missed it.

As likely most of us, I have desktop computer in my studio, and laptop for the mobile purposes.
Both are brand new and equipped with good specs - my laptop processor is i7 (although only 2,6 kHz) and RAM 12, that´s why I´m pissed because of the KORG Odyssey´s bad performance. No other of 300 plugins running in the laptop causes problems.
No problem in my desktop, but its i7-7700K 4.2 kHz 16 RAM (i.e. a bit newer than yours).

That actually sounds pretty close to the spec of my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15", so I might try it out and see what happens.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

News from KORG today:

KORG Collection has undergone a variety of improvements necessary for today’s music production.

For example, we have made the MS-20 polyphonic,
equipped Polysix with external modulation settings
and equipped Mono/Poly with virtual patch functionality,
which allows for multi-colored sound production.

In addition, we have equipped ARP ODYSSEY with features such as filters from
each of the three original Odysseys produced between 1972 and 1981,
and added important features such drive circuitry to boost the VCA,
voice mode which allows for chord playing, a programmable arpeggiator, and high-quality effects.

This is a new and exciting high-performance synthesizer!

Return to “Instruments”