Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP Odyssey M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

The distorted sound of the Odysey is awesome.
I wish we cold use it as an effect.

Saw wrote:News from KORG today:

KORG Collection has undergone a variety of improvements necessary for today’s music production.

For example, we have made the MS-20 polyphonic,
equipped Polysix with external modulation settings
and equipped Mono/Poly with virtual patch functionality,
which allows for multi-colored sound production.

In addition, we have equipped ARP ODYSSEY with features such as filters from
each of the three original Odysseys produced between 1972 and 1981,
and added important features such drive circuitry to boost the VCA,
voice mode which allows for chord playing, a programmable arpeggiator, and high-quality effects.

This is a new and exciting high-performance synthesizer!
What do you mean by "today"?!

It's just the description of the software! Unless you are trolling of course :hihi:

Saw wrote:News from KORG today:

KORG Collection has undergone a variety of improvements necessary for today’s music production.

For example, we have made the MS-20 polyphonic,
equipped Polysix with external modulation settings
and equipped Mono/Poly with virtual patch functionality,
which allows for multi-colored sound production.
When did they made this statement? Because the software MS-20 was polyphonic from day one. If they stated this today, it's weird. What can they possibly mean with "MS-20 polyphonic"?
Fernando (FMR)

Maybe he/she misunderstood the 'today's music production' meaning in the first paragraph and thought it's today ;)

You can find this written in the main page of Korg Collection.

fmr wrote:
EnGee wrote:
DuX wrote:
EnGee wrote:They are barely bearable with my 27" 1920x1080 but they are perfect on the screen of my old laptop (1366x768). So that, I want to re-use that old one for old plugins, but anyway still the MS-20 scrolling is pushing my blood pressure up! I really hope they get rid of the scrolling!
This, I can absolutely agree with. Who's incredibly stupid idea was that scrolling in MS-20!? :clap: :burn_at_a_stake: :lol:
I think it was designed according to the monitor resolution at that time 1024x768, which was actually my monitor 15 years ago. But, I really don't understand! Are the musicians using iPad are much more than those using desktop?! I just think Korg 'hates' developing for desktop computers (maybe because of the piracy?!) I don't know really! Anyway, I hope their new protection works fine so they have a motive to continue developing for desktops/laptops!
Korg was using the eLicenser copy protection when they launched KLC. If they kept using that one, they would have probably had much less piracy (admitting that is indeed the problem). But there isn't basically any copy protection that safeguards anyone from piracy. Many other developers, with much less resources than Korg, survived with piracy, so, I don't believe that's the issue.

The issue is, most likley, that Korg doesn't have a developer team in-house, so, they have to sub-contract. Now that they have a bigger port-folio, and are already porting Gadget to the desktop (currently only Mac, but nevertheless), they may have thought that there was an oportunity to revive the old and neglected Korg Collection.

Indeed, the resolution of the current software was thought for displays with a resolution of 1024 x 768 which was the standard back then. At that resoltiuon, they have the right size. With the current standard of 1920 x 1080, they are indeed too small, but if Korg makes the GUIs bigger (like about 1500 x 1000), they will be perfect again for the current standard.
Beware, Fernando, currently the standard for the 17" laptops is only 900 vertically. 1500x1000 would be of course one of the best sizes for desktops... but I think that there is a good number of "nomade" musicians using laptops (I'm one of them, by the way). So the best size would rather be 1500x800 (to keep sufficient room above and under for at least the DAW).
:D

But I totally agree all the rest of your message.
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hey mates... we are at the page 100 !
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

bill45 wrote:I use the Windows magnifying glass 200x the polysix is still hard to read
True.

Any plugin GUI should be freely scalable these days, like TAL-MOD. That's the best and only way to provide usability on all screen resolutions.

chk071 wrote:Any plugin GUI should be freely scalable these days, like TAL-MOD. That's the best and only way to provide usability on all screen resolutions.
Agreed.

The only point which could be annoying for some users is that freely scalable GUIs are probably not skinnable at all except with the embedded color palette provided by the developers.

But I think that the advantages of freely scalable GUIs outweigh clearly these minor drawbacks.

ATN69 wrote:Can't wait to have those larger user interfaces.
Ditto....

The KLC GUIs don't need to be any bigger, they just need to stop trying to mimic the original hardware and use larger, readable type. PolySix, for example, is really quite well laid out, you just can't read the text because it's tiny. There is ample room to make it larger and more readable but they've slavishly followed the design of the hardware. They also need to get rid of the stupid scrolling in the MS20 and resize the window to fit everything in. It just needs a few tweaks, not a complete overhaul.

Rather than resizable GUIs, I'd prefer to see reconfigurable GUIs, where you could decide, for example, on a portrait or landscape style layout. The problem I have with large GUIs is that in the default position I need to have them in (for super-quick access), half the UI goes off the edge of the screen. It would be nice if I could get a narrower, deeper layout.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I can't sift through 100 pages....but

I have a Korg Odyssey hardware unit right here....is there a demo of the plugin?? If so, (and if it hasn't been offered yet) is anyone interested in some 1:1 comparisons on some patches???

Although, I believe I read the plugin doesn't have a sub-osc??

That's a bit of a downer.

Bump1 wrote:I can't sift through 100 pages....but

I have a Korg Odyssey hardware unit right here....is there a demo of the plugin?? If so, (and if it hasn't been offered yet) is anyone interested in some 1:1 comparisons on some patches???

Although, I believe I read the plugin doesn't have a sub-osc??

That's a bit of a downer.
There is no demo unfortunately.
It's one of my favorite plugins.

There is unison, so no issue at all to get some real depth and oumph in the sounds.

It's a real nice instrument and I trust it to be very close to the original.
But comparisons are always interesting.

It is even probably one of the most impressive unison features that I ever heard in my already long life.

That is quite unfortunate indeed that there is no demo...

Because I'd likely sell my hardware unit if the plugin were close. But alas, I have no option but to buy if I want to test...

Poor choice by Korg.

Return to “Instruments”