Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP Odyssey M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

Jace-BeOS wrote:
fmr wrote:Guys, this is about the Korg Legacy Collection, NOT the Korg (ARP) Odyssey. :borg:

Please stop before entering an endless discussion about the virtues and faults of the modern Korg Odyssey, which would be pointless to this thread. It's much better to keep discussing what Korg should do to improve and expand the KORG LEGACY COLLECTION (you know... THE PLUG-INS)
Has anyone mentioned that the GUIs need to be redrawn at a larger scale? ;-) :-) :-D
And that they commited to do that?
Fernando (FMR)

EvilDragon wrote:Before you start slandering somebody, perhaps educate yourself on how patch memory is actually done on a synthesizer. :idea:
I know exactly how patch memory is done on a synthesizer, which is why your comment makes you seem like an idiot. I think maybe you need to understand where and why you use AD/DA converters.
fmr wrote:Guys, this is about the Korg Legacy Collection, NOT the Korg (ARP) Odyssey. :borg:
But if someone is asking about how they compare, then talking about the hardware becomes completely relevant to the discussion. Talking about why you'd choose one over the other is also relevant and there are probably a dozen other reasons talking about the hardware is relevant to a discussion on the plugin. Nothing exists in a bubble.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Before you start slandering somebody, perhaps educate yourself on how patch memory is actually done on a synthesizer. :idea:
I know exactly how patch memory is done on a synthesizer, which is why your comment makes you seem like an idiot. I think maybe you need to understand where and why you use AD/DA converters.
Well then, by all means, school us, BONES. By not demonstrating your claimed knowledge, you're accomplishing nothing other than reinforcing our impression of your behavior as hostile, insecure, and ignorant.

If your response is "I don't need to prove myself to you", don't bother. By making ad hominem attacks, you've placed yourself squarely in a defensive posture, not a superior one.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'm looking forward to MonoPoly VST with a larger GUI.

I think Korg did a great job with the Arp Odyssey VST. It has totally killed my GAS for a hardware unit, which I promised myself when announced, but I've been totally unimpressed with the build quality at the price. The VST completely scratches that itch. I hope they continue to work on it to bring down the CPU usage, but sound-wise I'm really impressed, and I LOVE the built-in arpeggiator and FX.

I'm old enough to remember ARP's patch pads that came with the original :wink:

BONES wrote:
I know exactly how patch memory is done on a synthesizer, which is why your comment makes you seem like an idiot.
Yeah, right. So, pray tell, how do you do patch memory on a fully analog synthesizer, how do you store an ANALOG voltage value into a DIGITAL memory chip, WITHOUT an ADC, and then reading it out from memory WITHOUT a DAC?

BONES wrote:But they didn't do that anyway, because they added all three filters, as well as pure digital features like MIDI and USB, not present on the original. And once you put MIDI in there, you may as well put in a patch memory at the same time.
That depends entirely on what is being controlled by USB/MIDI. Unless every single parameter is being MIDI controlled, then no, you're incorrect.
In the case of this, the MIDI/USB control is the absolute minimum; note on and note number and nothing else. That doesnt even need a microprocessor to implement, and it can be added with minimal change to the original circuit.
Bump1 wrote:Because A/D/A conversion would have drove the price up significantly.
You're an idiot. Why would you need to do any AD/DA conversion just to have a patch memory?
Because you need to be able to convert from analog to digital and vice versa to be able to digitally store/retrieve values from the analogue circuitry.
All you need to do is digitally store/retrieve values read from the analogue circuitry.
Exactly. So 'all you need' is an AD/DA conversion per control, a complete redesign of the legacy electronics to support that, and a microprocessor to do all the work.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BONES wrote:
I know exactly how patch memory is done on a synthesizer
Explain, then, instead of merely claiming to know.
I think maybe you need to understand where and why you use AD/DA converters.
Then explain that.
All you need to do is digitally store/retrieve values read from the analogue circuitry.
If you cant convert the analogue voltage into a digital value, you cant store it digitally.
If you cant convert the digital value into an analogue voltage, then whatever you're storing isnt going to control the hardware.

You need to do both of these things to have patch memory, so would you like to clarify what sort of electronic devices are used for the two processes I highlighted?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Guys, stop wasting your time. It's called the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Interesting that Korg decided to do an emulation of the Arp Odyssey. What's next? An emulation of the Micro Korg?

I have both the Korg arp hardware and their VST. I have never had an origonal so can’t comment on which sounds more like the origonal, but to my ears the hardware sounds far better than the VST, the raw oscillator sounds when beating and the filter when near resonance sound compliantly different. This is probably the case with most analog hardware vs emulation, but it is particularly noticeable when you have the exact same hardware and VST from the same company (I can’t think of too many cases of that!) If you dial up the same patch on both (the hardware and GUI look the same) the resulting sound is very different...the VST may give the flavour of an ARP, but It doesn’t give the thundering sound of the (reproduced) hardware.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Still nothing about the interface update for the old collection?

Ghost Dog wrote:Still nothing about the interface update for the old collection?
I think their message to us is: "Keep scrolling or buy our hardware" 8)

BrenzyB wrote:Interesting that Korg decided to do an emulation of the Arp Odyssey. What's next? An emulation of the Micro Korg?
Actually this seems to be an emulation of their own hardware re-issue of the Odyssey, not of the original Odyssey. Due to that the Korg emulation also includes additional features like the selection for 3 different filters and the Drive that were not included in the original Odyssey but with the Korg hardware re-issue.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

BrenzyB wrote:Interesting that Korg decided to do an emulation of the Arp Odyssey. What's next? An emulation of the Micro Korg?
If it was in my hands to decide, there are two machines from the old Korg days that I would like to see emulated: Korg Trident (Mk II or Mk I, but preferably Mk II) and Korg PS series.

Done right, these would be two great (amazing) instruments to add to any vintage emulations collection
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”