Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
wave alchemy
KVRist
 
324 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Postby wave alchemy; Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:27 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

crevice wrote:@wavealchemy If I were to buy this, is there anyway that I can use it with my Ableton Push 2?


Evolution will currently work with Push 2 in the exact same way that any 3rd part plugin does. I.e you can trigger drums with the pads, load Evolution, learn parameters and assign them to Push etc. But we also included an adg Drum rack file that automatically assigns the pads and routes sounds to individual outputs in Live.

However, the 1.1 update, when it is released, will include much more native integration with Push 2, with pre-mapped controls and functions :D

Kind of like what we did in our 'Revolution' 1.1 instrument, if you are familiar with that.
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.
User avatar
dplduffy
KVRist
 
285 posts since 31 Mar, 2015, from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Postby dplduffy; Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:57 pm Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

@wavealchemy when I go to the _Evolution Init patch I cannot for the life of me get the Layer and Transient machines to produce any noise. I have the volume up all the way on both machines and made sure I don't have anything soloed, any ideas?

Should’ve read the manual first, it was the XY pad...
wave alchemy
KVRist
 
324 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Postby wave alchemy; Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

dplduffy wrote:@wavealchemy when I go to the _Evolution Init patch I cannot for the life of me get the Layer and Transient machines to produce any noise. I have the volume up all the way on both machines and made sure I don't have anything soloed, any ideas?

Should’ve read the manual first, it was the XY pad...


No problem, and you're correct - the INIT preset has the XY pad set so that only the 'Drum' part is audible. Simply moving this dot around will expose the other layers :tu:
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.
TheHelioSequence
KVRer
 
22 posts since 30 Sep, 2005

Postby TheHelioSequence; Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:22 pm Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

wave alchemy wrote:
Stefken wrote:
I bought it and am enjoying Evolution very much. :tu:
Small feature request : :wink: as there are many many drum sounds to choose from it would be nice if you could tag favorites. Left to the picklist you could put a small favorites-icon next to the random icon. The icon would work as a toggle, toggling the favorites property for that drum on and off. In the picklist you could display a favorite with a "*" after the name. I'm guessing this would not take that much development.

I'm also hoping that the nice features of this sequencer will be translated as much as possible to the Revolution sequencer . 8)


This is a very interesting, and cool request. I like the idea of tagging. I'm not sure if this will be possible (I need to talk with the scripting team), but we will see what we can do in a future update for sure! :tu:

And yes, Revolution will be getting a sequencer update in the future, with many new features :D


I think the latest Output offerings have one of the best preset/patch systems within Kontakt. They have fairly extensive tagging system and also star/favorite system so that one can easily see all of their favorites. I would love to see something like this is both Evolution and Revolution as there are so many great sounds and options... snapshots don't feel as ideal with these deeper instruments.
wave alchemy
KVRist
 
324 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Postby wave alchemy; Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:26 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

TheHelioSequence wrote:
wave alchemy wrote:
Stefken wrote:
I bought it and am enjoying Evolution very much. :tu:
Small feature request : :wink: as there are many many drum sounds to choose from it would be nice if you could tag favorites. Left to the picklist you could put a small favorites-icon next to the random icon. The icon would work as a toggle, toggling the favorites property for that drum on and off. In the picklist you could display a favorite with a "*" after the name. I'm guessing this would not take that much development.

I'm also hoping that the nice features of this sequencer will be translated as much as possible to the Revolution sequencer . 8)


This is a very interesting, and cool request. I like the idea of tagging. I'm not sure if this will be possible (I need to talk with the scripting team), but we will see what we can do in a future update for sure! :tu:

And yes, Revolution will be getting a sequencer update in the future, with many new features :D


I think the latest Output offerings have one of the best preset/patch systems within Kontakt. They have fairly extensive tagging system and also star/favorite system so that one can easily see all of their favorites. I would love to see something like this is both Evolution and Revolution as there are so many great sounds and options... snapshots don't feel as ideal with these deeper instruments.


We also like this system (for that type of product) and will be featuring something similar (hopefully better) in a future product we are working on (not drum related) :wink:

However, this system may not work very well for a drum instrument such as Evolution. It would for the 'presets' ( I agree), but a much more detailed tagging system for actual the sounds themselves within a preset may be a bit overkill in our opinion. The reason this works well for the product you mention is that there is quite a small number of sounds (under 100 I believe), whereas Evolution features over 28,000 sounds. A detailed tagging system for such a huge amount of sounds could likely be not very intuitive to use. We kind of have this already on a simpler level - being able to choose a drum type, then a sub bank / style type and finally selecting a drum from that bank of sounds that match. We don't have a favouriting system however, which is something we can definitely look at :)

We do like the idea of mixing and matching drum channels and being able to save / load things independently. We just need to look into this and find a way that works and makes sense for this instrument :tu:
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.
grymmjack
KVRAF
 
8901 posts since 6 Apr, 2003

Postby grymmjack; Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:19 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Hi all,

I created a free Ableton Live Rack for (Live 10 suite owners since it uses Drum Buss) loosely inspired by Wave Alchemy Evolution's EFX setup. The rack has 3 sub-racks one for each section.

There is an Ableton devices only version and a VST version.

The VSTs are obviously proprietary but you can swap them around w/your own - I used NI Solid EQ, NI Solid Bus Comp, khs Bitcrusher, khs Distortion, Nomad Factory Magnetic II, and khs Transient Shaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV3BuElS7gE

I couldn't reproduce the sounds perfectly but this rack is very inspirational and I really love using it on all kinds of sources, not just drums.

ABLETON VERSION:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvQCMi6GfTdSsZg3SqqDbYQVU-kJyA

VST VERSION:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvQCMi6GfTdSsZg2zQCk1cI4VxFZWw
wave alchemy
KVRist
 
324 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:50 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

grymmjack wrote:Hi all,

I created a free Ableton Live Rack for (Live 10 suite owners since it uses Drum Buss) loosely inspired by Wave Alchemy Evolution's EFX setup. The rack has 3 sub-racks one for each section.


Looks interesting, we will check it out :tu:
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.
wave alchemy
KVRist
 
324 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Postby wave alchemy; Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:29 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Hi Guys!

For those interested, we've been hard at work creating a number of short instructional videos and demos that showcase certain areas of Evolution. Such as MIDI Drag & Drop, setting up multi outputs, how to layer drums, keyboard shortcuts and randomisation, analogue tape version differences etc.

For those interested, you can check them out here: https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/evolution/pid182/tab=videos/

:tu:
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.
kultschar
KVRer
 
17 posts since 20 May, 2009

Postby kultschar; Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:38 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Awesome
DrWashington
KVRist
 
192 posts since 28 Mar, 2005, from Seattle

Postby DrWashington; Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:24 pm Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

I just picked up Evolution, and though I don't have time to read through this entire thread, I can confirm that CPU use is off the charts for me. I'm running an i7-5960X clocked at 4.2GHz, and I've seen Kontakt go as high as 62% CPU usage, maxing out my VST meter in Cubase 9.5.10. This is at 24-bit/96kHz.

A global FX enable/disable button would be nice... I use buss effects anyway for the most part. Going through each channel and disabling them individually seems like quite a bit of work.

Really looking forward to the 1.1 update! It sounds fantastic, so I'm glad I got it.

Edit: just disabled midi select and every effect for every voice as well as the masters, and I can still push this way into the red quite easily. This is frankly disappointing.

Please do focus on CPU optimization first and foremost for the coming updates. It's hugely important, and many of us neither want nor use onboard effects, as we have some world class ones of our own. The sample quality you guys are known for is so good anyway that I don't find they really add much in the long run.

But, as noted, this seems not to be the primary issue here. Something else is going on. I have the latest Kontakt version installed as of this writing.
"I don't need a signature, do I?"
srcodling
KVRist
 
117 posts since 25 Mar, 2004, from Strasbourg, Saskatchewan, Canada

Postby srcodling; Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:40 pm Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

wave alchemy wrote:
2. Regarding keeping a kit and changing a pattern - The reason this is not currently available is because any sound can be loaded onto any channel in Evolution (modular in that respect). We could easily add this feature, but because Evolution is modular in this respect, loading a kit and then changing a pattern would result in the pattern sounding strange in some cases - as the Bass drum may be on a different voice / channel as the previous preset (if that makes sense?)

Having said this, Evolution 1.1 update will include a separate smart sequencer preset browser that is independent from the kit presets - which will cover your request :D


This fixes what is otherwise a really perfect drum machine IMO. Yes, it might sounds weird in SOME cases, but most of the time I keep my drum sounds fairly consistent, as do most other people I know.

The only other requests I'd have would be regarding sounds, such as more acoustic sounds or the ability to load your own wavs.
Stefken
KVRist
 
488 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Postby Stefken; Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:21 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

srcodling wrote:
wave alchemy wrote:
2. Regarding keeping a kit and changing a pattern - The reason this is not currently available is because any sound can be loaded onto any channel in Evolution (modular in that respect). We could easily add this feature, but because Evolution is modular in this respect, loading a kit and then changing a pattern would result in the pattern sounding strange in some cases - as the Bass drum may be on a different voice / channel as the previous preset (if that makes sense?)

Having said this, Evolution 1.1 update will include a separate smart sequencer preset browser that is independent from the kit presets - which will cover your request :D


This fixes what is otherwise a really perfect drum machine IMO. Yes, it might sounds weird in SOME cases, but most of the time I keep my drum sounds fairly consistent, as do most other people I know.
.


Yes, you typically keep things organised in the same way, so that shouldn't be a problem.
And when it happens, it's no big deal. You can even get some lucky accidents with it. :wink:
moonchunk
KVRist
 
39 posts since 18 Jul, 2014

Postby moonchunk; Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:29 pm Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

I tried out the demo and was quite pleased with the mixtures available using XY and did not seem to have a CPU issue, which is good.

So I've purchased it. (So far I've had an issue with Unrar'ing. I'm getting duplicate file errors.)

For me polyrhythm will also be nice, but triplets in a measure also containing duplets would be useful as well. Geist 2, Nerve, and almost Breaktweaker have workarounds for this. Geists solution is to right click and access a mode where the grid changes, but your entries remain from the last setting. Nerve's solution is clicking Alt on the "Late" page which auto-draws in triplet positions for it (equivalent to the Shift page in Geist, with the function of offsetting the event by ticks, to in front or behind the beat.) This is weird, because you can enter 4 sixteenth notes (in the span of a quarternote) and press Alt and drag horizontally, and three successively taller "late" values appear on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th 16th note columns. (Assume that you have entered 16 16th notes to get the picture in your mind... Ironically, the 4th late value [at the top] just moves that sixteenth to coincide with the first 16th column of the NEXT quarternote. But it doesn't create a double note, because each Nerve pad is not capable of polyphony, so only one of the events sounds.)

Trap and funk and prog stuff benefits from the ability to have a bar with both triplets and duplets. I am sure you all have something up your sleeves when you say polyrhythm, so maybe its even better than these other vsts. But they are not bad - and they both allow (as Breaktweaker does) independent length for each row/lane. Meanwhile Geist 2 has multiple engines and 64 samples (use your own samples).

I understand that reverse, a late/shift graph, and stutter are not yet implemented. But maybe?

I don't see slice/chop functionality coming, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me because I already can do that in other plugins like Geist 2/Nerve/Reason Limited,Stylus RMX, or with my DAWs, but I couldn't get the right library of sounds and morph-ability that the XY tool and layers presents in Evolution.

Anyway as you can see I purchased Evolution because the unique blending with XY was entirely cool! Also, I purchased the Super Drum Sample pack from WA awhile back and was fairly happy with it. And combining layers, the sound library in Evolution seems immense and well chosen for modern music, at least the Demo choices were, and I sense your excitement and that you plan to build on the unique features you have started.

Good luck - may you win the race to the nearly perfect modern music drum tool.
moonchunk
KVRist
 
39 posts since 18 Jul, 2014

Postby moonchunk; Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:51 pm Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Quick support request. Winzip gave some errors, but extracted and ran okay. I saw that my file size was incorrect per the manual. So I tried Winrar. It isn't extracting the right amount, per the manual, which says I should have a little over 5 gigs. The folder I get is about 4.7 gigs. My part 3, which per the manual should be more than a Gig, is actually much less, somewhere around .87 of a gig. When I go to "My Account" and try and download it, it consistently comes up with that size. Can you confirm or deny (that the purported size in the manual (5.2 gigs) is incorrect or correct?. BTW I have 91 folders (including root), and 3608 files. Is my Evolution folder still missing some files then?

Also, have you guys ever hooked up something like Leap Motion, via Geico, to the x-y controllers in Evolution?

Another question, will there be a way to drag/drop not just MIDI files, but wave files of sequences, including fx graph results, into the DAW?

One more. In Nerve there is this (and a similar feature in Geist with respect to Choke groups - from the Nerve Manual:

"You will also notice there are assignments with an asterisk ('*'). This indicates that this pad should cut pads with the same group number, but not itself get cut by those pads."

AFAIK this is not a completely uncommon desire, for instance you have an fx you are using like an open hi hats - you want that fx to be choked immediately by another fx that is being used like the closed hi hat. But you don't want the long-ringing open hi hat to keep the closed hi hat pattern from starting up again - you're not trying to copy real-world behavior, you're trying to create electronic music. And If you didn't have that option as in Nerve and Geist, and your open hat fx rings for a long time, you need to plan for it, or use extra kit pieces for it. In those programs sometimes it can make more sense to me not make the open hats close the "closed hats" - I know it sounds unimportant.

Also, importantly, do you know if Kontakt snapshots supports adding folders below the main level listed in the Evolution manual? If not it will be difficult to organize user work within Kontakt - I will need to migrate stuff into and out of the main folder as I use it. No biggie I guess, but you would think Kontakt would have worked that out. I'm using the latest Kontakt 5 full version. And yes, after I created a test sub-folder, I shut down Kontakt and even my DAW, and went back in, and still no sub folder shows up.

Peace & Prosperity.
boysbeingboys
KVRer
 
26 posts since 8 Jun, 2008, from Pacific Northwest, USA

Postby boysbeingboys; Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

What's are the biggest differences, aside from the GUI of course, between the sound libraries of Evolution and the Complete Drums pack? I'm assuming Evolution doesn't provide access to the source files like Drums does, right? I'm pretty torn between the two and would love some insight from Wave Alchemy or anyone else who's dealt with these. Both look awesome but I should probably get only one.
subfifth recordings
Soundcloud | YouTube | Instragram
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments