Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
wave alchemy
KVRist

324 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:19 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Frantz wrote:I wanted to get excited about this but a lot of the sounds in this overview remind of drums from 90s romplers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LSRlIW7eTw

Hi Frantz,

The above video is a brief overview showing some the general parameters of Evolution, and not in any way a showcase of the sound engine.

Take a listen to the below audio demo:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evolution_preset_demo.mp3

Each section of this demo was created using only one instance of Evolution, and no external programming. The entire demo showcases a very small amount of what is possible, utilizing around 800 sounds from Evolution's 28,000+ sound library. In fact, there are barely any 'classic / rompler' type sounds in Evolution. You can view the gear list in an above post, and each and every sound in Evolution was designed from the ground up using high end gear, layering, with usually over an hour spent refining and designing each sound individually. Over 5 years of work :D

To listen to Evolution in a song context, here is a song produced using one instance of Evolution - all drums from Evolution with no external processing:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evolution_song_demo.mp3

We also went through great lengths with the acoustic sound sources for Evolution too, recording everything over a long period in world class drum rooms, using unconventional mic techniques, bowing, breaking, re-amping, layering, dropping things on drum heads, recording tape hiss/ vinyl noise / re-recording and pitching to analogue tape etc.

See some photos of one of the recording sessions below:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.
wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

db3 wrote:There's a demo available...it's mostly trap type sounds but sounds good to me — and the UI is nice and clean.

Looking at the sample sources I think there will be some crossover with Revolution, but that's one was all about drum machine authenticity, whereas Evolution has a far wider selection of sources, and the 3 layer approach with X/Y blender pad should make it more of a creative tool.

Page 52-53 of manual lists sound sources.

We can confirm that absolutely zero sounds from Revolution have been included in Evolution.

Evolution was built and designed using over 100 sound sources, machines, synths, acoustic percussion, and from these 100 sources, only around 6 or 7 are the same as the sources used for Revolution (for example 808/909). But the sounds in Evolution are totally new. For example, if we used a 909 / 808, it was in a creative way - layering an 808 sub behind a snappy modern kick as just one example. All sounds in Evolution have been tastefully 'designed' to give a fresh sound :)

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.
wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:29 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Intriguing...although the inability to load samples seems like a strange oversight, and probably a deal-breaker for me.
I already own so many drum samples (including most of Wave Alchemy's libraries which are relevant to my music). I was hoping one could use this as a layer engine, including pitch and volume envelopes and transient designing, and thus it would replace programs like BigKick and Sonic Academy Kick2.

Hi Marcus,

Evolution is an Instrument, not a Sampler. Being able to load your own samples would completely kill the flow and design of the instrument. Everything has been designed from the ground up specifically to work with the included 28,000+ sounds, which have been designed through many thousands of hours of work to give the best user experience possible, and arranged perfectly into a dynamic browser that allows you to easily find and layer sounds and modulate them. The sounds that power Evolution are in our opinion extremely versatile and possibly the best collection of electronic & sound design influenced drums ever created. It is an instrument, and very similar to asking why samples cannot be loaded into a TR-808 (as an example), or more modern engines such as those from Output, Spitfire or Heavyocity (as an example). It is an instrument, not a sampler, and designed to work together as such :)

wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:32 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

JoeCat wrote:All that power, but could be the deal-breaker for me (and with Revolution) is lack of a polyrhythmic sequencer. Maybe that's a Kontakt issue (tough scripting)?

I keep thinking I need to bite the bullet on Tremor for that and the sound design. The quality / quantity of presets may have turned people off, but it's capable of a lot more than overblown smashes. Keep waiting for a sale...

Still - this and Revolution are solid; retro-sound video aside I'm sure given their extraordinary sample library WA have your bases covered - with all the tweaking you're bound to come up with something unique.

Poly Rhythmic Sequencing is coming, along with Module versions, many feature enhancements and much more. All part of a free 1.1 update we are working on :wink:

Plus the audio demos on the product page give you a good idea of the sounds possible with Evolution. All those feature no external processing, and all drums from Evolution.

You can listen to a small amount of examples here - 100% Evolution, no external processing:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evolution_preset_demo.mp3

wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Also, to those who are on the fence, we are now able to offer a no questions asked refund to those who'd like assurance of not losing anything if Evolution doesn't fit their workflow:

"If you are unhappy for any reason after purchasing, we will issue a full refund within 14 days - essentially giving you a risk-free trial and nothing to lose." :)

JoeCat
KVRian

1106 posts since 19 May, 2011, from North Carolina

Postby JoeCat; Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Wow - thanks for all the feedback WA!
db3
KVRAF

1822 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Postby db3; Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:08 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

wave alchemy wrote:Poly Rhythmic Sequencing is coming, along with Module versions, many feature enhancements and much more. All part of a free 1.1 update we are working on :wink:

What are the "Module versions"...is that something like Revolution, where you have lighter options without the sequencer etc?
-dthree-
JoeCat
KVRian

Postby JoeCat; Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:58 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

Just now playing with the demo - sounds punchy, great interface.

Feels like there are just a few "first release" niggles - would love more parameters exposed for host automation (things like the master shaper parameters).

(Also - on the tool-tips: sequence start/stop is F-1 and F#-1, and the sequence playback buttons don't reflect the status when using the keyboard).

That's minor stuff - thing seems like a beast :)
wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:07 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

db3 wrote:
wave alchemy wrote:Poly Rhythmic Sequencing is coming, along with Module versions, many feature enhancements and much more. All part of a free 1.1 update we are working on :wink:

What are the "Module versions"...is that something like Revolution, where you have lighter options without the sequencer etc?

Exactly, the Module version of Evolution will also have additional layering functionality, and also be more integrated with Ableton Push, plus more. We will let you know more as soon as we can :D

db3
KVRAF

1822 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Postby db3; Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:09 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

wave alchemy wrote:
db3 wrote:

Exactly, the Module version of Evolution will also have additional layering functionality, and also be more integrated with Ableton Push, plus more. We will let you know more as soon as we can :D

That sounds great :tu:
-dthree-
wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:11 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

JoeCat wrote:Just now playing with the demo - sounds punchy, great interface.

Feels like there are just a few "first release" niggles - would love more parameters exposed for host automation (things like the master shaper parameters).

(Also - on the tool-tips: sequence start/stop is F-1 and F#-1, and the sequence playback buttons don't reflect the status when using the keyboard).

That's minor stuff - thing seems like a beast :)

Thanks JoeCat!

We are looking into automation in more detail, and we will continue developing and improving Evolution over time - refining things and adding new features - as is always the case with our instruments :)

Regarding Sequence keys - are you referring to the info help tags?

MIDI keys respond to the following functions in Evolution:

C1 - B1 - Drum Play
This range of 12 keys are used for playing back the 12 Drum Voices of Evolution, or for sequencing in your host. The colour of these keys is dynamic and matches the specific Drum Type you have loaded into each Channel / Drum Voice:
• Red - Bass Drum.
• Yellow - Snare Drum.
• Orange - Toms, Claps, Percussion.
• Cyan – Hi-Hats.
• Mint Green – Cymbal, Ride.

C2 - D2 - Drum Engine Select
This range of 3 keys are used to independently select and engage the three Drum Engines; Drum, Transient and Layer:
• C2 - Selects and engages the ’Drum’ Tab.
• C#2 - Selects and engages the ’Tranent’ Tab.
• D2 - Selects and engages the ’Layer’ Tab.

D#2 - Random Sample
Holding down this key whilst pressing a Drum Play Note (C1 – B1) will randomize all three Drum Engines for that Drum Voice. When this key is held and notes C2 - D2 are pressed, only that specific Layer will be randomized.

E2 - MIDI Select
This key will Enable / Disable MIDI select, so that Drum Voices can be selected directly from the Light Guide without the need to interact with the GUI.

F2 - E3 - Drum Pattern Select
This range of 12 keys are used for selecting Evolution’s Sequence Patterns, 1 through 12. If the Sequencer is not currently playing, these keys will also start playback of the internal Sequencer.

F3 - Sequencer Stop
Stops playback of Evolution’s internal Sequencer.

F#3 - Sequencer Restart
Instantly restarts the Sequencer back to step one.

G3 - Sequencer Record
Enters the internal Sequencer into Live Record mode for entering Note, Pitch and Automation Control Data in real time.

G#3 - Sequencer Reverse
When held, the internal Sequencer will temporarily play in reverse. When released, the internal Sequence returns to its expected position. This can be helpful for live performances or creating impromptu drum fills at key moments.

A3 - Copy
This key engages the Sequencer Copy button. When pressed, the current Sequence Pattern will be copied to memory and replace the next selected Sequence Pattern.

B3 - Key Select
While this key is held, pressing a Drum Play Note (C1 – B1) will assign it to be played on the Keyboard Pitch Range from C4 to C6.

C4 - C6 - Keyboard Pitch Mode
When enabled, the key range between C4 and C6 will play the currently selected Drum Voice chromatically across +/-1 Octave. Pitch Mode also works with Sequencer MIDI input to record pitch changes into Evolution’s FX Sequencer Pitch Lane in real time.

mcbpete
KVRian

1186 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

I'd asked on Facebook but the messaging system there is a bit of a mess so .... for owners of both instruments what are the chances of there being a 'Drumolution' that has the kits from both packs using Evolution's ace GUI ?
JoeCat
KVRian

Postby JoeCat; Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:08 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

wave alchemy wrote:Thanks JoeCat!

We are looking into automation in more detail, and we will continue developing and improving Evolution over time - refining things and adding new features - as is always the case with our instruments :)

The manual also says C-1 starts the sequencer but it does nothing for me. I can start the pattern with F2 however.
Megawattt
KVRist

114 posts since 31 Dec, 2005

Postby Megawattt; Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

mcbpete wrote:I'd asked on Facebook but the messaging system there is a bit of a mess so .... for owners of both instruments what are the chances of there being a 'Drumolution' that has the kits from both packs using Evolution's ace GUI ?

Thissssss!!!!!! mcbpete has hit the nail on the head! i would like to have one go to super drum machine in my setup, please please please make this happen, CASH WAITING!!!!!!
Strictly drum and bass
wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:42 am Re: Wave Alchemy Evolution

JoeCat wrote:
wave alchemy wrote:Thanks JoeCat!

The manual also says C-1 starts the sequencer but it does nothing for me. I can start the pattern with F2 however.

Good spot. This is a mistake in the manual. It should in fact read F2 and not C-1. I have now fixed this and will re-upload the manual. There shouldn't be any other mistakes in the manual, and the reason for this one is that our older instrument 'Revolution' featured this control (C-1), but we decided not to include this in the end for Evolution, since F2 has the same function.

PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments