Repro or Diva?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

noiseboyuk wrote:
SmartCat wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:I only own Repro have have demoed Diva a few times. Diva sounds great, but I don't hear the gulf between it and others that I do with the Repros. Of course, it is more versatile though.
Yes, Diva sounds great as well. May I ask you what kind of music do you play and compose?
Pretty much anything and everything - loads of TV work and side projects of interest to me and no-one else on the planet, usually late 70s - early 80s synth / guitar influenced (early Simple Minds, Kraftwerk, YMO, Jarre, Human League, U2... Joy Division getting some love from me at the moment... can you guess my age?). But I'm pitching at the moment for a contemporary TV scoring job for which Repro 5 was magnificent (think I used just Repro 5 and Omni).

FWIW I think the Repros can also be pretty creamy, and certainly warm.

Shamless plug for a recent electronica cover of a Kate Bush song with a Romanian composer / singer Mirela Nita - FWIW the synths here were 100% Repro 1 and Omni 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPcRUW ... e=youtu.be
Beautiful track! Thanks for sharing

Diva.

W23 wrote:If you owned neither and are trying to figure out what to buy right now? Get the RePro while it's still on sale. It's a steal at $99. It's totally worth the $149 U-he will be asking after the sale period expires. Diva is just as good, BTW. It's just not on sale.
I agree... today is pretty much the last day of this, depends on how much everyone drinks tonight and what the hang over is like tomorrow before someone at u-he can flip the switch :clown:

Hi all,

I got two questions while I am thinking about to buy DIVA some day.

I already own REPRO 1/5, ZEBRA 2, HIVE and BAZILLE and I love them all. I also got a real KORG MS20, a Aturia MINIBRUTE (parker-steiner-filter) a Doepfer MS404 a JUNO 106 and a Waldorf PULSE 1 (which sounds very dry and a little like a Mono-Moog) to name just the analog Synth.

Does it really make sense to spend the money on DIVA?

REPRO 5 and BAZILLE already make such beautiful and lush padsounds. Would there be something in DIVA which is still missing in my Studio arsenal?
(Beside that I own a Waldorf Blofeld, a MiniKorg, a Kawai K5, Kawai K4, CASIO CZ3000, VZ-1, KORG MS-8, a Korg Polysix, a Korg TRINITY, a Waldorf ROCKET and a Waldorf STREICHFETT.

And concerning the notorious hardware hunger of DIVA...what are your experiences with that? Compared to HIVE, BAZILLE and REPRO 5? Where sits DIVA?

Hope you can help me finding a decision and keeping all the Hype away, going down the hard facts alley. DIVA is expensive and I have in mind that the day will come when U-he will make a new VTS or ZEBRA-updates which will have DIVA elements (who knows) and therefor save the money for that day :)

Thank you very much in advance.

nichttuntun wrote:
I already own REPRO 1/5, ZEBRA 2, HIVE and BAZILLE and I love them all. I also got a real KORG MS20, a Aturia MINIBRUTE (parker-steiner-filter) a Doepfer MS404 a JUNO 106 and a Waldorf PULSE 1 (which sounds very dry and a little like a Mono-Moog) to name just the analog Synth.

REPRO 5 and BAZILLE already make such beautiful and lush padsounds. Would there be something in DIVA which is still missing in my Studio arsenal?
Does it make sense? A resounding 'yes' !
If not for the sound, which still has much to offer in context of your other synths, it's for the the way you can mix & match various modules, which is pure joy. It just makes great sounds all by itself.

I can see Diva adding even more lushness to your palette of sounds. Just layering some of the extremely smooth Diva pads with some of the more zingy' pads from Bazille... this by itself is a great combo!
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

SmartCat wrote:Repro is new and sounds fantastic.
If you could only go for one, which one would it be?
I tried both demo versions and the two Repro synths won for me.
Then get RePro :)

Here's the way I look at it:

1. RePro sounds great, that's without doubt. But then... so does DIVA;
2. If you really like and want the sound of RePro, get it. You'll hardly get "the same" sound out of DIVA;
3. HOWEVER...
4. Repro is pretty much a finished job. It's an emulation of Pro One and Prophet-5. There's nothing significant that can be added to it (unless Urs would want to keep adding Prophets, like the Prophet-600, the Six Track, the VS, etc.).
6. OTOH, DIVA will always remain a "Work-In-Progress". Most likely, it will receive in the near future (possibly in a DIVA 2.0 version - right Urs?) at least the oscillators and filters of the Elka Synthex, based on previous threads.
7. Every new addition you get in DIVA is more than just it. You can combine the new modules with the already exisiting ones, creating something totally new, and therefore, you will have a completely new sound territory to explore. The possibilities grow exponentially, because, as it's a "mix'n match" instrument, the number of possible permutations added with each new module is much more than the mere sum of them (when you add a new module, let's say, module 10, you automatically add permutations 1+10; 2+10;-3+10; 4+10, etc...
8. DIVA model, as I already said, is never exhausted, as along as there are possible moduels to add (and that is very far from being finished).

I could keep adding reasons, but I think by now you already got the idea. So, as much as I like RePro, for me, between the two, it would be DIVA all the way (but I have them ALL, so, what do I know? :hihi:)
Fernando (FMR)

himalaya wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:

Does it make sense? A resounding 'yes' !
If not for the sound, which still has much to offer in context of your other synths, it's for the the way you can mix & match various modules, which is pure joy. It just makes great sounds all by itself.

I can see Diva adding even more lushness to your palette of sounds. Just layering some of the extremely smooth Diva pads with some of the more zingy' pads from Bazille... this by itself is a great combo!

Thank you for your suggestion. I understand the importance of layering sounds in the mix and I love this idea myself. I did layer pads and strings and such and it is used in parallel compression and parallel EFX usage of all kinds. Saturation works similar.

I am more the kind of user who takes a pad-sound and puts some modulated granular-EFX or a unison EFX or "real" amp-distortion on it. The classical synth-sounds aren´t my kind of cup (most time) :)

Again I am asking myself if the pad-sounds of DIVA really are so much more amazing than the ones REPRO 5 can provide. I guess I have to try out the demo of DIVA. But I am afraid of the won´t let go phenomenon if she is already dancing in my studio ;)

Please could some one describe the CPU-hunger of DIVA compared to REPRO5 / ZEBRA2 and BAZILLE? Thank you in advance.

fmr wrote:Here's the way I look at it:

1. RePro sounds great, that's without doubt. But then... so does DIVA;
2. If you really like and want the sound of RePro, get it. You'll hardly get "the same" sound out of DIVA;
3. HOWEVER...
4. Repro is pretty much a finished job. It's an emulation of Pro One and Prophet-5. There's nothing significant that can be added to it (unless Urs would want to keep adding Prophets, like the Prophet-600, the Six Track, the VS, etc.).
6. OTOH, DIVA will always remain a "Work-In-Progress". Most likely, it will receive in the near future (possibly in a DIVA 2.0 version - right Urs?) at least the oscillators and filters of the Elka Synthex, based on previous threads.
7. Every new addition you get in DIVA is more than just it. You can combine the new modules with the already exisiting ones, creating something totally new, and therefore, you will have a completely new sound territory to explore. The possibilities grow exponentially, because, as it's a "mix'n match" instrument, the number of possible permutations added with each new module is much more than the mere sum of them (when you add a new module, let's say, module 10, you automatically add permutations 1+10; 2+10;-3+10; 4+10, etc...
8. DIVA model, as I already said, is never exhausted, as along as there are possible moduels to add (and that is very far from being finished).

I could keep adding reasons, but I think by now you already got the idea. So, as much as I like RePro, for me, between the two, it would be DIVA all the way (but I have them ALL, so, what do I know? :hihi:)

Thank you a lot for that huge description :)
Okay. I didn´t know that this is some kind of module based system which is continously expanded. How many emulation types are into DIVA right now?

As I understand the updates to DIVA are very seldom.

Isn´t it more possible that there will be a new analog emulation monster from U-he out there one day which will top the DIVA?

I like that kind of idea very much but I am still totally unsure due to its reportedly hardware-hunger ;) Can you bring some light to that matter?

Greetings

nichttuntun wrote:
himalaya wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:

Please could some one describe the CPU-hunger of DIVA compared to REPRO5 / ZEBRA2 and BAZILLE? Thank you in advance.
Why would you not try them yourself?
on My system.
From Least cpu to most
Zebra2
Bazille
Diva
Repro
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:
himalaya wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:

Why would you not try them yourself?
on My system.
From Least cpu to most
Zebra2
Bazille
Diva
Repro
rsp
Okay...DIVA in front of REPRO? wow...cool. I am surprised. Repro5 runs relatively well on my system. Of course you are right, I have to demo it :)

Another thougt: The last update was in Dec 2015! Is DIVA really expanding further?

nichttuntun wrote: Okay. I didn´t know that this is some kind of module based system which is continously expanded. How many emulation types are into DIVA right now?
Oscillators:
Juno-60/Juno-106 oscillators;
Jupiter-8 oscillators;
Minimoog oscillators;
MS-20 oscillators;
JP-8000 oscillators

Filters:
Jupiter-8/Juno-60 filter (+ High Pass Filter)
Minimoog ladder filter
Jupiter-6 filter
Ms-20 filter (+ MS-20 High Pass filter)
Oberheim SEM/OB-X filter

Envelopes:

Mini Envelope;
Jupiter-8 Envelope
Jupiter-6 Envelope

The LFOs, AFAIK are not modeled after any particular synth (but Urs can confirm that). WE also have a detune per voice feature that is similar to the way the Oberheim synths worked (the Obies started as piled SEM systems - the Four-Voice or Eight-Voice) and later became card based, where each voice was a separated sound card, and could be tuned individually.

Finally, we have a good effect section (although maybe the current FX section included in the RePro would be better - I still have no opinion about that).
nichttuntun wrote: As I understand the updates to DIVA are very seldom.

Isn´t it more possible that there will be a new analog emulation monster from U-he out there one day which will top the DIVA?

I like that kind of idea very much but I am still totally unsure due to its reportedly hardware-hunger ;) Can you bring some light to that matter?

Greetings
Last update that included new features was the one that included the JP-8000 oscilattors and the SEM filter. Urs already talked about ideas for new modules, mentioning the Synthex (and I personally look forward to those). But I honestly think they would only appear in a version 2.0, which will not be for the near future (we are still waiting for Zebra 3.0, which is the next big thing I am expect to be coming from U-He)

Regarding CPU, DIVA is lighter then RePro, from my experience.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
nichttuntun wrote: Okay. I didn´t know that this is some kind of module based system which is continously expanded. How many emulation types are into DIVA right now?
Oscillators:
Juno-60/Juno-106 oscillators;
Jupiter-8 oscillators;
Minimoog oscillators;
MS-20 oscillators;
JP-8000 oscillators

Filters:
Jupiter-8/Juno-60 filter (+ High Pass Filter)
Minimoog ladder filter
Jupiter-6 filter
Ms-20 filter (+ MS-20 High Pass filter)
Oberheim SEM/OB-X filter

Envelopes:

Mini Envelope;
Jupiter-8 Envelope
Jupiter-6 Envelope

The LFOs, AFAIK are not modeled after any particular synth (but Urs can confirm that). WE also have a detune per voice feature that is similar to the way the Oberheim synths worked (the Obies started as piled SEM systems - the Four-Voice or Eight-Voice) and later became card based, where each voice was a separated sound card, and could be tuned individually.

Finally, we have a good effect section (although maybe the current FX section included in the RePro would be better - I still have no opinion about that).
nichttuntun wrote: As I understand the updates to DIVA are very seldom.

Greetings
Last update that included new features was the one that included the JP-8000 oscilattors and the SEM filter. Urs already talked about ideas for new modules, mentioning the Synthex (and I personally look forward to those). But I honestly think they would only appear in a version 2.0, which will not be for the near future (we are still waiting for Zebra 3.0, which is the next big thing I am expect to be coming from U-He)

Regarding CPU, DIVA is lighter then RePro, from my experience.
Wow!!! Thank you very much for the details. That´s great. Especially the JUPITER and MOOG stuff sounds fantastic for me :)

I already own the fantastic OB-X PRO II Oberheim Emulation, which is very great and absolute authentic to the original. And as mentioned I own a real MS-20.

Is this the same with DIVA? I mean are the SEM / MOOG/ JUPITER filters really sounding like SEM/ MOOG/ JUPITER-Synth? (I would buy instantly because I don´t like the UI of the OB-X PRO II because it is so small and can´t be scaled) :)

Of course it´s great that DIVA is lighter than REPRO5. After all I heard I never woul´d have thought that.

The OP X GUI has been increased in size. Download the latest version.

I think I got the latest version of OB-X.

Last Questions:
Can DIVA do FM and LFO-stuff in the audio-rate area?

Can DIVA do everything that the OB-X PRO II can? Or is it just so, that the filters and the OSC sounds like the hardware but the layout is another thing? I still have problems to imagine that thing.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Instruments”