Repro or Diva?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

nichttuntun wrote:I think I got the latest version of OB-X.

Last Questions:
Can DIVA do FM and LFO-stuff in the audio-rate area?

Can DIVA do everything that the OB-X PRO II can? Or is it just so, that the filters and the OSC sounds like the hardware but the layout is another thing? I still have problems to imagine that thing.

Thanks in advance.
I would double check because it is definitely not small and I am the king of complaining about small GUIs.

nichttuntun wrote: Is this the same with DIVA? I mean are the SEM / MOOG/ JUPITER filters really sounding like SEM/ MOOG/ JUPITER-Synth? (I would buy instantly because I don´t like the UI of the OB-X PRO II because it is so small and can´t be scaled) :)
Bear in mind that, due to the fact that the modules are meant to be "mix'n match" (which means they have to be calibrated to be compatible with each other, so that we can interchange one for the other without destroy the preset) they are NOT calibrated the same way the originals.

This leads that you can't copy parameters form a real Jupiter emulation, for example, and try to obtain the same results in DIVA. That said, sonically, I would say they are faithful to the originals, and that means that you can even recreate Jupiter pacthes, and Juno patches, and Mini patches with DIVA (but not using the same values for each parameter - you'll have to search for the right values in DIVA).

I leave here a link for a You Tube demo of a pack of presets for DIVA recreating the Oberheim sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ6vzKMaKQ

And a link for a bank recreating Jupiter sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaHVLNKaXU

Also, I used the original patch parameters from the Juno-60 to create a bank using the Juno-60 modules, the Jupiter modules and the Moog modules. That bank is included in the factory DIVA presets (in the third party section). It is good to demonstrate how, by simply interchanging modules, you can obtain new sounds by uing basically the same parameters. The bank is called "Fernando's hardware factory".

It doesn't pretend to "emulate" neither the Juno, nor the Jupiter or the Mini, just to show how similar parameters can lead to different sounds, just by using different modules.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
nichttuntun wrote: Is this the same with DIVA? I mean are the SEM / MOOG/ JUPITER filters really sounding like SEM/ MOOG/ JUPITER-Synth? (I would buy instantly because I don´t like the UI of the OB-X PRO II because it is so small and can´t be scaled) :)
Bear in mind that, due to the fact that the modules are meant to be "mix'n match" (which means they have to be calibrated to be compatible with each other, so that we can interchange one for the other without destroy the preset) they are NOT calibrated the same way the originals.

This leads that you can't copy parameters form a real Jupiter emulation, for example, and try to obtain the same results in DIVA. That said, sonically, I would say they are faithful to the originals, and that means that you can even recreate Jupiter pacthes, and Juno patches, and Mini patches with DIVA (but not using the same values for each parameter - you'll have to search for the right values in DIVA).

I leave here a link for a You Tube demo of a pack of presets for DIVA recreating the Oberheim sound: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ6vzKMaKQ</span>

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaHVLNKaXU</span>

Also, I used the original patch parameters from the Juno-60 to create a bank using the Juno-60 modules, the Jupiter modules and the Moog modules. That bank is included in the factory DIVA presets (in the third party section). It is good to demonstrate how, by simply interchanging modules, you can obtain new sounds by uing basically the same parameters. The bank is called "Fernando's hardware factory".

It doesn't pretend to "emulate" neither the Juno, nor the Jupiter or the Mini, just to show how similar parameters can lead to different sounds, just by using different modules.
Thank you,
that sounds like a very interesting concept. I will definitely demo DIVA.

I think Oberheim for example gets really interesting when activate the X-over and other interesting hard wired modulation options.

Can the DIVA do FM, X-over, ring- modulation and are the LFOs able to operate in audio-rate?

I'm very curious about these facts.

Than this could really be my next synth.

nichttuntun wrote:Can the DIVA do FM, X-over, ring- modulation and are the LFOs able to operate in audio-rate?
The LFOs are very simple, much like the LFOs found in vintage hardware. They go to a few hundred Hertz, but they're not meant to be audio rate modulators. They can sync to host tempo and they have modulation options which none of the reference hardware has.

For audio rate modulations, Diva uses Osc1 as source for FM and FilterFM in *any* model, regardless if the reference hardware had the feature or not (Exception: DCO can't do FM, it's just one oscillator). Ring Modulation is currently only available in the MS-20 inspired Dual VCO and the JP-8000 inspired one. I'll be honest and say that Osc1 can not be fine tuned (yet), which makes FM/FilterFM a little less flexible than it should be. It's an oversight on my part which I'll fix at some point.

As for the general question... Repro came about because the Prophet breed of synths has a much wider parameter/modulation range than the "sweet spots" around which Diva's reference hardware designs were built. Repros are much more capable of audio rate goodness and in-your-face stuff. Diva otoh is much more capable at the rounded tones commonly associated with analogue sound, when comparing digital sources to analogue ones. Because of its extreme ranges, Repro uses more CPU than Diva.

fmr wrote:

I leave here a link for a You Tube demo of a pack of presets for DIVA recreating the Oberheim sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ6vzKMaKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaHVLNKaXU

Hi frm,
thank you for your deep insight on DIVA and for sharing the examples. At the moment I have not much time to demo DIVA myself so it was a joy to listen to the 2 videos on the S-train :)
To me it sounds authentic, the sounds represent typical examples of a past area and they sound good to me :)
Greetings

Urs wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:Can the DIVA do FM, X-over, ring- modulation and are the LFOs able to operate in audio-rate?
The LFOs are very simple, much like the LFOs found in vintage hardware. They go to a few hundred Hertz, but they're not meant to be audio rate modulators. They can sync to host tempo and they have modulation options which none of the reference hardware has.

For audio rate modulations, Diva uses Osc1 as source for FM and FilterFM in *any* model, regardless if the reference hardware had the feature or not (Exception: DCO can't do FM, it's just one oscillator). Ring Modulation is currently only available in the MS-20 inspired Dual VCO and the JP-8000 inspired one. I'll be honest and say that Osc1 can not be fine tuned (yet), which makes FM/FilterFM a little less flexible than it should be. It's an oversight on my part which I'll fix at some point.

As for the general question... Repro came about because the Prophet breed of synths has a much wider parameter/modulation range than the "sweet spots" around which Diva's reference hardware designs were built. Repros are much more capable of audio rate goodness and in-your-face stuff. Diva otoh is much more capable at the rounded tones commonly associated with analogue sound, when comparing digital sources to analogue ones. Because of its extreme ranges, Repro uses more CPU than Diva.
Hi Urs,
thank you for your detailed explaination. I guess DIVA is a project to be close to your heart.

The facts you mentioned are logical to me and with the help of the user fmr and yourself I think I dig the DIVAs concept more and more. I also watched some YT-videos this morning on the S-train and I very much like the module approach and how the U-he team built DIVA. The typical character of the original analog synths is preserved well in DIVA and I really liked the MOOG-style of sound and its bottom end and the little inbetween things that are going on while the DIVA "sings".

For me its absolutely fine (I heard other voices on that matter) that there is less high fidelity in the upper frequencies because I am aware of that older analog gear often was limited there. I like the idea that you transported that into DIVA and I didn´t quite understand the critizism to that point at the first place. There are so many possibilities to change that fact to your liking, for example using a saturation (maybe with sidechain option) tool to lift up the upper harmonics and than grip this area with one of your favorite EQs. I love the voice-tuning feature...having some analog gear myself I appreciate this (I think much underrated) feature a lot!

I am getting the big picture and what one can do with DIVA...wow the possibilities of combining so many modules makes my head spin. I am on board, please keep me a seat reservation :party: :hug:

I also heard that you will expand some modules into DIVA in the future? That would be fantastic. Rumors about ELKA came up. Is that true?

Urs, I don´t want to be slimy...but I cannot repeat often enough that U-he is one of a kind. Thank you for your appreciation towards your custumors and the passion for your products combined with the fact that you maintain them a veeeeery long time!!! That is unmatched.

I wish a joyful time and neverending compassion and creativity.
Last edited by nichttuntun on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

double-post...sorry.
Last edited by nichttuntun on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

:love: :D :party: :hyper: Bought DIVA right now!!! :hyper: :tu: :clap: :oops: :love:

I hope she will come shipped without scratches :hihi:

I need a second life :)

Thanks U-He and tank you Urs to be so honest and active in KVRaudio to us!!!

wagtunes wrote:The OP X GUI has been increased in size. Download the latest version.
Thank you so much...I just checked their side and yes!!! They have got an update from 30.01.2018 with...UI scaling (3 different sizes). That was all I had left for wishes for the dreamy OP X PRO II. Why don´t they send update-mails to their customers? Why can´t every software company be like U-he? :hug:

Hi again,

I played DIVA in the studio for about 2 hours and tweaked a bit...I am totally freaked out about that plugin. I think I never have listened to a virtual synth that sounded so great as DIVA. I am amazed and don´t really know what else to say...wow!!!

Thank you U-he for that wonderful instrument. I am so happy I bought it, DIVA is a fantastic addition to REPRO and a veeeery special kind of her own.

I know now why she is called a DIVA. The other have to stand behind her in a row to see and listen to her. I fell in love :love:

Greetings

nichttuntun wrote:Hi again,

I played DIVA in the studio for about 2 hours and tweaked a bit...I am totally freaked out about that plugin. I think I never have listened to a virtual synth that sounded so great as DIVA. I am amazed and don´t really know what else to say...wow!!!

Thank you U-he for that wonderful instrument. I am so happy I bought it, DIVA is a fantastic addition to REPRO and a veeeery special kind of her own.

I know now why she is called a DIVA. The other have to stand behind her in a row to see and listen to her. I fell in love :love:

Greetings
yup... Diva just sounds gorgeous!

At this point I think I would trade my Repro in for Diva and pay the difference, Repro is definitely wonderful, but my CPU would be easier with Diva right now, and Diva simply is more flexible as well.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I’ve owned Moog knock offs, and owned and been around Dave Smiths half my life. If you want smooth and clean resonance go DIVA, and if you want wild and lively go REPRO. Granted, I havent tried repro yet, but I know what Dave smith’s are, and I own several U-HE.

braj wrote:At this point I think I would trade my Repro in for Diva and pay the difference, Repro is definitely wonderful, but my CPU would be easier with Diva right now, and Diva simply is more flexible as well.
Funny, earlier today I said..........
Teksonik wrote: I've been thinking of selling Diva since I rarely use it these days although I do love it. Or perhaps seeing if anyone wants to trade Repro 5.
:hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

RePro. I get enough Diva in Zebra HZ with greater flexibility.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”