Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
braj
KVRAF

9090 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

That's kind of unfortunate for the Osc participants.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new
progtronic
KVRian

517 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Postby progtronic; Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

Blamsoft wrote:That’s true. You can pay $0.01.

Are we all disqualified now because it's no longer a free synth?! :lol:
braj
KVRAF

9090 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

progtronic wrote:
Blamsoft wrote:That’s true. You can pay $0.01.

Are we all disqualified now because it's no longer a free synth?! :lol:

I don't think it has to be a free synth right? Just I imagine some won't be wanting to go through the trouble to do the checkout process. I imagine PayPal is an option, right? Also, since there is no serial, do you pay per download? There has been updates recently, no? I don't have an issue with the charge, just the timing isn't ideal for the contest.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new
foxAsteria
KVRist

97 posts since 7 Aug, 2004

Postby foxAsteria; Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

[Deleted] Revised submission in a later, very last minute post...
Last edited by foxAsteria on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
~TwilightMysterySchool~
AtmosphericElectronicMusic
eraze the borders
KVRist

124 posts since 4 Apr, 2012, from Berlin, Germany

Postby eraze the borders; Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 am Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

Has anybody else noticed that it is really really heavy on Ram? I only have 4 GB but it's still the first time that a VST takes up so much of it. I can't work with more than 25 tracks :shrug:
Failure is success in progress.
doctorbob
KVRian

1125 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 am Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

Yup, quite a memory hog - and watch that HQ filter option, that'll eat your cpu too!

dB
doctorbob
KVRian

Postby doctorbob; Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:32 am Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

doctorbob wrote:Yup, quite a memory hog - and watch that HQ filter option, that'll eat your cpu too!

I guess freezing down a whole track at a time is what peeps will have to do in order to up the track count.(Maybe freeze down JUST the VK1 output, and then apply your FX to the audio stems).

dB

oops, slip up, should have been an edit, but you know what I meant!!!
Blamsoft
KVRer

10 posts since 14 Jun, 2015

Postby Blamsoft; Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:16 am Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

The direct download button has been put back through the end of the contest: http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer.
doctorbob
KVRian

Postby doctorbob; Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 am Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

Thanks Blamsoft. You're a star ... and thanks once again for fixing the bug(s). Much appreciated. Enjoying the synth a lot.

dB
generaldiomedes
KVRian

502 posts since 14 Apr, 2017, from Canada

Postby generaldiomedes; Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:18 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

Thanks for posting the download link again!

Has anyone noticed random or cyclical volume drop-offs? I am trying to make a kick knock just using a triangle wave, and I am getting the volume fade in and out.

Screenshots of scope posted - sometimes it is regular intervals, sometimes it is more random.

scope 1.png

scope 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
progtronic
KVRian

517 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Postby progtronic; Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

generaldiomedes wrote:Has anyone noticed random or cyclical volume drop-offs? I am trying to make a kick knock just using a triangle wave, and I am getting the volume fade in and out.

Yep.. you can hear it in my entry. Was one of the issues I had to deal with through most of the instrumentation.. particularly the percussion.

I think there's some sorta built in phase/drift thing going on.. which is cool, because I usually have to simulate that with a couple of LFO's to get that dirty old analog sound.

Unfortunately, for percussion.. you usually don't want to have that feature.. because of the issues you described, and we both experienced.

Anyway.. some compression and a lot of limiters helped a bit.
TheNeverScene
KVRist

435 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Postby TheNeverScene; Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:32 am Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

progtronic wrote:I think there's some sorta built in phase/drift thing going on..

Yep, I think so too. Viking's drift is very LFOish and seems a bit quick. I like it except when it comes to drums, but it may be contributing to an almost acoustic drum feel...so I almost like it on drums.

I think that if the drift had some adjustable parameters, this synth would really shine. It already sounds great, so a little "modernization" would be a well-worth-it plus.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression
foxAsteria
KVRist

97 posts since 7 Aug, 2004

Postby foxAsteria; Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

@generaldiomedes The built in "drift" and unpredictability is what I loved about this synth. It's not out of control though. I had no problems getting consistency when I wanted it. I think it's all down to how the switches are set and the modulation routing. I would suggest playing with each setting individually until you can figure out which parameters are responsible for that.

Has anyone found a way to get a regular modwheel to work with this VST though? Mine does nothing, but it seems to be reacting to some certain CC which I had assigned to one of the knob parameters.
Last edited by foxAsteria on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~TwilightMysterySchool~
AtmosphericElectronicMusic
ramseysounds
KVRist

140 posts since 9 Jul, 2014, from London

Postby ramseysounds; Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:34 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

Blamsoft wrote:The direct download button has been put back through the end of the contest: http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer.

:clap:
Music rules - there are none
jasinski
KVRian

587 posts since 19 Oct, 2003, from Seattle

Postby jasinski; Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:48 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

TheNeverScene wrote:

quote="progtronic"][/quote]

The manual indicates that you can control the drift as a hidden parameter that is visible in the DAW's automation lane. I can't seem to get to it in Live 9 but you may find more success?
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments