64 vs 32 bit FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The 32-bit mob are really too lazy to reinstall everything, all of their reasons are just excuses they make to justify it. :P

One word: Abandon!
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I don't understand the conceit of some posters here. Can't you relate to abandoned standards? Were you never burned by an audio card maker that refused to update their drivers after an OS update? Did your Iphone never slow down after a forced update from Apple? Did you never get squeezed in the middle of a technology shift? That is really what is underneath all of this.

Even if you don't think compiling plugins into a 32 bit format is a good use of a programmers time you would understand that the desire to hold onto the older standards is not due to some innate character flaw such as laziness, stupidity or some other unflattering attribute. Change can be painful and it is natural for people to want to build on their exisiting platforms particularly if they are meeting their needs. No insults are needed or warranted here even if you have long since let that 32bit ship sail.

mutantdog wrote:The 32-bit mob are really too lazy to reinstall everything, all of their reasons are just excuses they make to justify it. :P
Or just too lazy to adapt to a new plugin, that doesn't do the exact same thing, but way more and probably way better.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There are some plugins that are not developed anymore. And the users justify 32bit, because they cannot live without it. For whatever reason

But that sounds to me like: I want to keep cooking on my one-wooden-cooktop/oven instead of upgrading to a 4-induction-hot-plate plus extra oven, just because the new one doesn't smoke.

Scotty wrote:Change can be painful and it is natural for people to want to build on their exisiting platforms particularly if they are meeting their needs.
Indeed. As long as you never change anything in your system, no worries then. No change, no need for compatibility.

Often people ask for the newest bestest hyperfastest computer, upgrade their OS regularly AND STILL ask for compatibility backwards for ages. That doesn't make sense, sorry. This is just nonsense.

Computers are misleading in terms of costs, especially when you upgrade regularly. I never calculated it, but I've got the feeling, that a tape machine, plus service and tapes, over 2-3 decades is cheaper than the digital world.

I think that devs should just charge extra for the less important formats like 32 bit and whatever those protools thingies are. That way, it's no problem, the extra cost can be passed on to the users that want those features.

I actually feel sorry for the 64 bit users like myself. You have any idea how many plugins we CAN'T use? No, JBridge doesn't always work. In the meantime, there are so many really cool 32 bit plugs (HG fortune at the top of the list, God rest his soul) that I just had to finally toss in the scrap heap because they kept crashing my DAW, even with JBridge.

In the meantime, most commercial plugins today come in 32 and 64 bit. So a few are 64 bit only and you 32 bit guys can't use 'em. Doesn't come close to the number of plugins that I've had to remove from my system.

Yeah, someday 32 bit will no longer be made. But you've still got your current 32 bit plugins and they'll always work as long as you have a PC that can run them. And I'm sure there are plenty enough of them to make music for the next 50 years at least.

So I don't see what all the complaining is about. Each group (32 and 64 bit users) has things that they have to live without.

chk071 wrote:
LeVzi wrote: Question though, do these DAW's that ONLY support 64bit plugins allow bridged 32bit ones ? Or do they blacklist them ?
Cubase has no bit bridge since version 9, Reason doesn't have a bit bridge either, Logic i don't know, but probably none either. I don't know about Pro Tools as well.
As mentioned in my previous post Cubase Pro 9.5 seems to work with the latest version of jBridge, at least here in Windows 10 64-bit.

Besides that Cubase indeed no longer has a built-in brisge since v9 and it will blacklist 32-bit plugins. Even with that the 64-bit DLLs created by jBridge will work while they still need the 32-bit DLL to work (which is independent of if they are blacklisted or not as the plugins are not physically removed by being blacklisted in Cubase).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

That's all fine... just remember your own words when a piece of your hardware is no longer supported, you are forced into an update cycle that you would rather avoid. You can pat yourself on the back for being current and on top of the world but there will be time when most of us are left behind in the constant change game. I have experienced it several times and have a drawer full of abandoned hardware that died due to OS updates and new requirements. If you stay at this game long enough you'll learn to be more sympathetic.
stardustmedia wrote:
Scotty wrote:Change can be painful and it is natural for people to want to build on their exisiting platforms particularly if they are meeting their needs.
Indeed. As long as you never change anything in your system, no worries then. No change, no need for compatibility.

Often people ask for the newest bestest hyperfastest computer, upgrade their OS regularly AND STILL ask for compatibility backwards for ages. That doesn't make sense, sorry. This is just nonsense.

Computers are misleading in terms of costs, especially when you upgrade regularly. I never calculated it, but I've got the feeling, that a tape machine, plus service and tapes, over 2-3 decades is cheaper than the digital world.

Scotty wrote:I don't understand the conceit of some posters here. Can't you relate to abandoned standards? Were you never burned by an audio card maker that refused to update their drivers after an OS update?
I actualy just had that, with a ASUS sound card. :lol: They provided a Windows 10 driver which didn't work with the Fall Creator Update, i told their support that it didn't work, and i was pointed to a third party driver. :nutter: A few weeks after that, the card was completely gone from their support pages. A-holes. :P Anyway, i bought a Creative Soundblaster Z, which sounds better anyway, and won't look back.

Can't really see that being applicable to this though. The software won't stop working, you can always use a DAW which supports 64-bit to 32-bit bridging (Reaper is the only one i know though), or use something like jBridge. AND, when a new sound card is being released, it will also most likely not support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or even Windows 7. At some point, it's simply time to move on, with old technology becoming more and more obsolete, only few will use it, hence it won't make much sense to support it anymore.

nm
Last edited by swatwork on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:I actually feel sorry for the 64 bit users like myself. You have any idea how many plugins we CAN'T use?
At the moment, there's exactly ONE plugin i regret not being able to use, and that's the good old Terratec Komplexer synth (i have it installed and use it with Reaper 32-bit though, might install Studio One 3 32-bit for it even, which can be installed alongside the 64-bit. Cubase allows that too BTW). Apart from that, i don't really see anything which isn't 64-bit, which i'd like to use.

chk071 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I actually feel sorry for the 64 bit users like myself. You have any idea how many plugins we CAN'T use?
At the moment, there's exactly ONE plugin i regret not being able to use, and that's the good old Terratec Komplexer synth (i have it installed and use it with Reaper 32-bit though, might install Studio One 3 32-bit for it even, which can be installed alongside the 64-bit. Cubase allows that too BTW). Apart from that, i don't really see anything which isn't 64-bit, which i'd like to use.

I really wish I could use Vanguard. I have so many good memories of that one.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Scotty wrote:That's all fine... just remember your own words when a piece of your hardware is no longer supported, you are forced into an update cycle that you would rather avoid. You can pat yourself on the back for being current and on top of the world but there will be time when most of us are left behind in the constant change game. I have experienced it several times and have a drawer full of abandoned hardware that died due to OS updates and new requirements. If you stay at this game long enough you'll learn to be more sympathetic.
I lived that enough times, since 1994 :dog:
Huge PITA :x

That's why I DO NOT upgrade OS every time. I guess I'll stay on El Cap. If that means, some new stuff won't be available for me, so be it.

The only upcoming issue will be the time I truly need a new computer. That's when I (yet again) have to spend a lot of money to also upgrade some of the hardware. I hope this will not be before the next 5-6 years. Had that when I upgraded 2013 to the new iMac.

Nevertheless, it's a choice you have. Keep the system running as it is, or live with regular changes and common punches in your face (thanks to the fast pace of the computer world).

Every now and then i see someone using a Nokia 3310. In some ways i envy them.

Return to “Instruments”