Is it time for a post-modern interpretation of nineties music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The good thing....you still can enjoy a lot things from the 90‘s but also can get a lot more.
So my answer to this topic is: No.
There was great stuff for me in the mid 90‘s and early 2000 but i find even more interesting stuff today.

Cinebient wrote:The good thing....you still can enjoy a lot things from the 90‘s but also can get a lot more.
So my answer to this topic is: No.
There was great stuff for me in the mid 90‘s and early 2000 but i find even more interesting stuff today.
I find interesting stuff from every era. IMO, just do whatever makes you feel good.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

noiseboyuk wrote:...and since I'm feeling particularly pedantic this morning, I think post-modernism WAS the nineties. We're now post-post-modern. Maybe even post-post-post-modern.
I think this comment should have ended this thread. :hehe:

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Sorry, can't resist. Why shouldn't we? Is there a law that says that only "talented" people should make music? And what is talent anyway? Who defines it. Some people think Deadmau5 is talented. Some people think he's a joke. Who's to say?

As long as we're not breaking some kind of law in this world, we have the freedom to make music, art or anything else that we want.

So just who determines who should and shouldn't do something?
Depends on what your morals and values are wagtunes. :hihi:
Wait a minute. What does morality have to do with making music? So if somebody who has "no talent" (as defined by the music gods) makes music, they're immoral?

Please tell me you're just trolling and taking the piss here just to keep this thread interesting. Because you can't possibly mean what you just said. Right, you're joking, right?

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:
egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Sorry, can't resist. Why shouldn't we? Is there a law that says that only "talented" people should make music? And what is talent anyway? Who defines it. Some people think Deadmau5 is talented. Some people think he's a joke. Who's to say?

As long as we're not breaking some kind of law in this world, we have the freedom to make music, art or anything else that we want.

Wait a minute. What does morality have to do with making music? So if somebody who has "no talent" (as defined by the music gods) makes music, they're immoral?

Please tell me you're just trolling and taking the piss here just to keep this thread interesting. Because you can't possibly mean what you just said. Right, you're joking, right?
Great strawman, well done Waggy.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Wait a minute. What does morality have to do with making music? So if somebody who has "no talent" (as defined by the music gods) makes music, they're immoral?

Suggesting I'm trolling, I'll take that as a compliment. :hihi:

Well you brought it up by using the word "should". And remember, you started this discussion, not I. I'll happily lock the thread and move on, just say the word. :tu:
No, YOU'RE the one who used the word should. Do I have to post your quote? You said just because we CAN make music doesn't mean we SHOULD.

So I'd like to know just what you meant by that if it's not what I inferred by your remark. I mean it seems to me it was pretty clear what you mean. People without talent SHOULDN'T make music. That IS what you meant, right?

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
egbert101 wrote:

Great strawman, well done Waggy.
Hey, I'm just taking the guy at his word. He said just because we CAN make music doesn't mean we SHOULD. I just wanted to know who determines who should and shouldn't make music and he replies with "it depends on what your morals are."

I mean is he just yanking my chain to see if he can get a rise out of me or does he really believe this?

I mean it's hard to tell when people around here are serious and when they're kidding.

If he's kidding, good job. He got me. But if he's serious, all I can do is shake my head.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

shonky wrote:DAWs in general I would have thought, pretty sure that most 90s tunes were made on hardware, sequenced on Ataris and recorded to DAT. Most editing would have been done in MIDI rather than directly on the audio file.

While it could be argued that this simply makes it more accessible and ubiquitous, I think it does and has completely changed the way people approach music making, one example being the almost ADHD need for constant edits and modulations on otherwise unimaginative parts (e.g. one note basslines with endless wub variations), whereas previously it could be argued that stronger parts needed to be written in the first place and variations in melody, harmony and note placement gave variety, although even then you had acid and techno tunes that might just be one riff tweaked endlessly throughout the tune.
Good, well made points, all valid. What is striking though is that no-one has suggested any technology that has actually brought a new sound to the party. The discussion of 90s music vs music today is really about form, structure and the vagaries of changing fashions, the endless re-hashing of ideas in their limitless combinations.

But my suspicion is - if you had the right kit in the 90s, you could do pretty much anything you can do today. It would have been harder, and the process might have been radically different which itself was likely to alter the final result. But in terms of a specific sound or effect.... it was pretty much all there, right?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: No, YOU'RE the one who used the word should. Do I have to post your quote? You said just because we CAN make music doesn't mean we SHOULD.

So I'd like to know just what you meant by that if it's not what I inferred by your remark. I mean it seems to me it was pretty clear what you mean. People without talent SHOULDN'T make music. That IS what you meant, right?
Sure, I used the word should, but not as a discussion, and it wasn't directed at you at all. You started this discussion, which now seems a bit more like you've been triggered in some way, like someone dared to bring up morality in music and your identity has somehow been harmed.

Well, I apologise if something I said has offended you in some way. But I am not going to continue discussing it. :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLvdmifDSk
Except you can't say something like that and expect people to just ignore it. No, I didn't take it personally directed towards me, but yes, I have no talent. So that means I shouldn't have been making music these past 40 plus years?

Anyway, if you don't want to discuss it, fine. I'm dropping it and going to play some video golf where I can curse at the ball for not going where I want it to go.

Later.

"Just out of interest, what would be your opinion on someone like Burial be as I figure he also incorporated a lot of 90s elements (e.g. reese bass, dub sirens and chipmunk vocals) but in a way that felt far removed from the original environment that those sounds would have been heard."

I'll stop in from time to time and drop a reply in this thread. It's interesting conversation that includes a lot of ideas I've been working out for decades. I remember when that burial album came out. I was looking for the next exciting thing like everyone else. I bought the album, listened to it like a handful of times and sold it. The reason is that I realized the 2 step was part of the problem. i saw it destroy drum and bass. It was so successful because of the timing of the release, and because he got in with a hot publisher at the right time. If you notice... it wasn't timeless, nobody is listening any more. Another example of taking something great (dub) and reducing it to lowest common denominator. It was a formula by the time that album hit the US.

...Listen, there are things I've learned from being in, around, and a part of music for like 40 years. I am no longer am in the scene, but I have thought about putting all those lessons to work on a project that I've been building up to for a while, so I may rejoin at some point.

Here are some lessons from an old guy, and why music died such a horrible death. That stretch from 2000-2010 may have been the worst stretch of, and lowest point in music history. A decade without music really does a number on the human spirit. Yes, some of it was the industry, and the take over of too much youth as promoters, who had no idea what they were doing, but there were other causes.

The recession hit music like a ton of bricks . people cannot express themselves, and cannot go after their passion unless they have the ability to do so. It was a major reason why the hardware guys stopped making pro boards and everyone started making the cheapest, smallest gear possible. Why everyone went laptop. Guys like Dave Smith and waldorf were adaptable and smart enough to lead the charge in hardware though. Every one else followed suit. Truth is, there were some AMAZING desktop units put out that lasted the blink of an eye and impossible to find now. The guys who have always been the leaders in hardware are starting to put out actual boards again. Hardware may come back into vogue as people can afford them and they become available. The audience is also growing up and wanting more.

That whole simplified ticky tacky two step pre programmed chit is, was, and forever shall be... instant gratification for lost young people on hard drugs. When you lose the kids, you lose the audience, and you cannot hang out with 15 yo kids on hard drugs for long.

Computers don't make music, and music is not perfect. Computers play algorithms. Music is the human struggle to express and reach a more perfect state. If there is no struggle, there is no music.

A great recording is a great performance. It's about capturing someone's expression. It will not be perfect, it will be far more interesting and timeless though.

Stop whining at me, I don't feel sorry for you. I have always been around and influenced by a great party. Great music is fun, and it's a party. Not a superficial party mind you. Not that instant gratification everyone struggles to achieve now, but it has a soul and it has some rock. It has some dirt, it has grit. I'm down with the dark side, just don't come at me like a disney 15 YR old crying about how you are so misunderstood. If it's about love, you better know what love is.

EDM was a direct result of MNML+TRANCE+laptops. It almost killed modern music... it tried, but HOUSE saved it. Credit to those chicago guys keeping the party alive and building a new foundation while everyone grew up a little.

Dasheesh wrote: That stretch from 2000-2010 may have been the worst stretch of, and lowest point in music history. .
The best years in electronic music history imo. After 2010 it all started going donwnhill.

Perhaps I'm just about a decade younger than people obsessed with 90's and those who are stuck in 80's are resectively about 20 years older than me :?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

IMHO this perspective of "everything was great when I was younger" is so limited.

I believe there is great music now, ten, twenty, 30 years ago and there will be much more in the future. I am always discovering good music new and old.

What changes are the genres, some go mainstream and start losing their edge. Artists start going dry with time, some reborn after some albums. Some genres die, others are born, but always somewhere there is someone making interesting music.

The 90's was quite special, it was the peak of the music industry and the turn of the century brought Napster and the digital distribution revolution. The changes have been quite deep since then, people are consuming music very differently now, as I said the album is dead, people has become more electic and listens to what spotify suggests.
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”