Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

CrystalWizard wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Seems good, but it’s going to have to leap a high bar to lead me away from Reaktor.
Yeah, Reaktor, VCV Rack, and Max. I just want more time to use those three.
+1

Feature Request:

Oscilloscope pop out screen thats resizable
Amazon: why not use an alternative

hivkorn wrote:Can affirm the sound of cherry is at least as good as modular ?
The video demo on the website don t suprise me and i m really not sure if this synth is made for me...
About the sound, I didn't test it in depth and I don't own softube modular.i can't compare.

What I notice, the oscillators have some analog drift, pwm are great, even modulated at audio rate, good job.
About the filter, it sound great too but they aren't like repro or the legend, it's normal, it's a full modular.
The CPU performance is great.
What surprised me is the formula parser and the easy workflow.
The chorus is nice, for now, I'm not convinced by the phasers but I need more time to test it.
I think, this modular synt have a bright future, the foundation are solid, the cherry team are responsive and nice.
When third dev will develop other modules, it could become exponential.
Do not fear to test it , cherry audio offers a refund, 14 days without restrictions, you could read the faqs, I don't work for them and I don't have any authority.
I'm not a big presets fan, and I think, they not deserve the synth, but who care about third modular presets...
Cheers.
Best
YY

First thoughts:

1. You must install Microsoft Visual C ++ 2010 in the new Windows.
2. VST2 in Reaper 4 x86 is excellent.
3. Needed synchronization with DAW in Delay.
4. 6 inputs and outputs for each connection. It's good.
5. The coloring of the modules is convenient. Creating synthesizers is easy. There are presets for training.
6. Rotary knobs and buttons for quick access to the parameters in the Perfom module are priority over automation and Midi Learn in DAW. I did not immediately understand why automation is reset after the project is opened.
7. Authorization via the Internet is somewhat troubling. I have a flash drive key for Reason, and I do not need internet. If I reinstall Windows, and the Internet was gone. What to do?
8. Needed predelay in Reverb. Reverb sound nice.
9. VCO is also nice. Not too "digital".
10. The processor load is tolerable. 13 copies of the modulator with simple synthesizers loaded the processor by 60%.
cavm.jpg
12. There are no thresholds for Midi Learn as in Tassman - not to edit the SS in DAW hands for optimal values.

A small composition was born:

https://soundcloud.com/user-888109268/20180916a
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by robotgard on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

With regards to authorisation, I would like the choice of where the authorisation is stored. USB stick is ideal for me

Russell Grand wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Seems good, but it’s going to have to leap a high bar to lead me away from Reaktor.
We don't want to bash the competition, but with that said, we didn't develop Voltage Modular in a vacuum. We had some very clear goals to improve upon aspects of other virtual modular synths that we didn't like, particular UI and speed of use. I'll be the first to say that for years, Reaktor has been the instrument I've really wanted to love, but every time I use it, I get frustrated trying to figure out its convoluted hierarchy, and just looking at all those itty-bitty cables makes my brain hurt. I've heard awesome sounds come from Reaktor, no question about that, but I just don't enjoy using it.

If you're ok with Reaktor's UI, then maybe there's no need to switch. But be clear, if you're comfortable using a hardware modular synth, then the learning curve of Voltage Modular is going to be absolutely zero, because it's EXACTLY like using a hardware system, just with added conveniences. No hidden panels, cables "in back," etc. etc. Just open it, drag in modules, patch cables, move modules any way you want RIGHT NOW, and off you go. It's so fast and I've used it so much that I finding myself getting annoyed with my dot com modular. ("Crap, I gotta set up Silent Way." "Crap, I need another oscillator." "Crap, the cable won't reach the mult." :D )

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Feature Request:

Oscilloscope pop out screen thats resizable
Don't know if we can do that or not (I'm not sure we can have windows expand beyond the boundaries of the module dimensions). I'll try to find out though.

@Mitch, few questions:
- do you plan to expand the Core with more free modules, or is it paid stuff only from here on out?
- do 3rd party developers expected to charge for their stuff, or can it also be free?
- how many of 3rd party developers are working now on their modules and what sort of interesting stuff we can expect from them?
- when does the discount for early access pack end? :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

:o i've just seen that PSP audioware made a few module for cherry audio !!
i hope more to come from another dev , it's the point softube miss ...3rd develloper...

:o i've just seen that PSP audioware made a few module for cherry audio !!
i hope more to come from another dev , it's the point softube miss ...3rd develloper...

that's where it will take off for me, when other developers add to it.
no offence to the developers here (the basis of the modular is very important and takes lots of skill so im really not trying to put anybody down...)
as an example ill use my hardware modulars...
i started out years back, with a frac system from bugbrand. the whole two racks are bugs, and while i love toms work and that little blue bastard of mine...
getting the euro system, and buying an oscillator from one company and another from another... opens up the system so much more, as the different companies have a different way of approaching the same things sometimes.

just imagine if reaktor allowed you to use even just vstfx within a patch, how much that would add to an imo already great tool.

so, hopefully, with this and vcv, when they get established, both will attract many more developers :)

wishing you well for the future :)

hivkorn wrote::o i've just seen that PSP audioware made a few module for cherry audio !!
They snuck up unannounced !

:party:

And theyre on an intro price

hivkorn wrote: i hope more to come from another dev , it's the point softube miss ...3rd develloper...
Maybe Softube should port their own modules to Voltage :tu:

Just watching this develop from a distance so this is just an observation.

Whilst it is hard to get detailed information or images of the Cherry Audio modules something I note from what I can see is that a lot of modules appear to be somewhat bereft of CV inputs on their controls and where there are inputs many of them would benefit from attenuverters IMHO.

The PSP modules have a lot of controls but are seriously lacking CV inputs and this, I imagine, is because their existing algorithms have been quickly ported into modules, and their controls cannot sustain (audio rate ?) modulation.

I don't know whether I am missing 'hidden' controls (eg right click gives you a means to attenuate a CV input)?

I have play with the psp modules for some hours today, i didn't test them all, but, for sure audio rate modulation works for the phaser and the 2 filters.
In the chorus module, you have some tiny CV attenuators same for delay and flange.
I didn't see them at the beginning....
The comb track nicely, and the lfo have some nice functionality.
No CV input for the 3 reverbs.
I'm agree with you, voltage modular need more CV input and attenuators, a lot of time, it needs some mixer or vca, but I think, the new third part. developers will be aware of this.
Now, let's see if the big name, software and hardware company's will follow psp audioware, it could be great!

Perhaps, I repeat myself, but the nice thing about V modular is the workflow, the formula parser, the diode module and the threshold modules. You want a phase modulation oscillator, plug some osc, some envelopes, vca's, a formula parser: et voila!
This morning I want a wavefolder, same, formula, threshold....
Best
YY

Return to “Instruments”