Best Service Galaxy X "convolution Synth" for 95 bux worth it ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Galaxy X

Yes I think I know that...the point was that in Galaxy it does not sound like convolving, it sounds like mixing...try the demo and move cc1 and you will see what we mean.

Been playing with the demo for several hours now and it doesn't sound like mixing to me. I'm troubled by how CPU-hungry it is on my system which is a lot newer than the instrument itself, apparently (at least the Galaxy part, dunno about Engine), and the weird knob response, but the more I fiddle and automate, the more I like it. Off to get this one…the samples alone are worth it to me.

Have you managed to import your own samples David?
I’m interested in how deep you can mangle.

(double post)
Last edited by realmarco on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

if the plugin let me Morph Between Impulse responses with a LFO or Enveloppes then i'd find it interesting
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

simmo75 wrote:Have you managed to import your own samples David?
I’m interested in how deep you can mangle.
Haven't tried that, just saw it in the manual. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't working in the demo, but I'll give it a go asap. You got the demo yet? It's quite a package, with all the other demos in there… Engine's both kinda clunky, IMO, AND pretty sweet; lots of powerful, unusual features. I'm thinking of everything beyond the Galaxy sample library as a bonus:)

realmarco wrote:if the plugin let me Morph Between Impulse responses with a LFO or Enveloppes then i'd find it interesting
You could probably come close to that by loading two identical instrument slots (not sure of the right Engine terminology yet), changing the IR on one of them, and sweeping between the two levels with an internal or external mod…

The whole experience for me with this is about loving the samples and so far finding some pretty powerful workarounds to the clunkiness and processor-heaviness of the interface that have really impressed me with how unusual the whole tool is. I've also been regularly eyeing this for years now, wishing there was more info and more demos, as it's right up my alley, being so weird and so big. That's as much the reason I'm going for it, I guess, as anything else: always wanted to try it out, finally got to, and I'm not disappointed!

David wrote:
realmarco wrote:if the plugin let me Morph Between Impulse responses with a LFO or Enveloppes then i'd find it interesting
You could probably come close to that by loading two identical instrument slots (not sure of the right Engine terminology yet), changing the IR on one of them, and sweeping between the two levels with an internal or external mod…

The whole experience for me with this is about loving the samples and so far finding some pretty powerful workarounds to the clunkiness and processor-heaviness of the interface that have really impressed me with how unusual the whole tool is. I've also been regularly eyeing this for years now, wishing there was more info and more demos, as it's right up my alley, being so weird and so big. That's as much the reason I'm going for it, I guess, as anything else: always wanted to try it out, finally got to, and I'm not disappointed!
I was quite interested in the idea of convolution synthesis but then realised that when you're using harmonic material as the impulse you tend to get a lot of unpredictable resonance, what might work on one note might not work a couple of keys up, and the only way I could see that getting the results I want would be to have the same impulse response but with a key follw so that it could be tuned to each note, but then this would entail having a separate impulse per note, which given the current cpu load with convolution reverbs, a whole keyboard's worth would cripple any system.

Or is this something that Galaxy X has actually managed to do as it's not particularly clear from the examples I've seen and couldn't find the info in the product description.

Sorry, shonky, can't add anything to your queries, way beyond my pay grade…altho I have noticed a few resonant IRs that don't change pitch no matter the input.

I continue to be disappointed in the repeatable DAW (AU and VST) and stand-alone crashes I'm experiencing (3-year-old 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 iMac with 24G of RAM running Sierra) with Galaxy/Engine, esp. with the X-Tune knob:(

Even though my CPU meters generally do calm down after a bit with any loaded preset, it's still hard to understand how anyone could have run this back in 2012, let alone with multiple layers going, as shown in the promo pix… But maybe it's Engine that's the hog…?

Still planning to get it, though; really like the sounds so far. I'm a fool that way:)
Last edited by David on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Did anyone end up buying this and try using there own samples? I'm still intrigued ..

Me, too; I won't be getting this until sometime next week…

Worth a listen if you're still wondering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q5gCdQoVO4&t=0s

shonky wrote:I was quite interested in the idea of convolution synthesis but then realized that when you're using harmonic material as the impulse you tend to get a lot of unpredictable resonance, what might work on one note might not work a couple of keys up, and the only way I could see that getting the results I want would be to have the same impulse response but with a key follow so that it could be tuned to each note, but then this would entail having a separate impulse per note, which given the current cpu load with convolution reverbs, a whole keyboard's worth would cripple any system.
Hmm... could this plugin be used to export a really impressive sounding waveform that could then be resynthesized afterwards with another synth plugin such as Serum or Harmor?
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Sure, why not? That's definitely part of my plan for it, including lots of other synths and samplers and techniques for using audio for synthesis:)

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”