One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haha, your last paragraph - I can't wait to hear what you think of my track! I'm uploading the first version to Soundcloud right now, and I'll post it to the OSC thread in a couple of minutes. Let's just say, I found myself in very familiar terrain with this synth (and it's not heavy rock!)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

I hate to be early to the party, yet here we are!

Here's a derivative little piece of fluff for you. I've been listening back to some of OSC's recent history this week, and this one's... er, well, it certainly doesn't belong in any of the popular genres. But I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did making it.

The Diodow synth truly is a treat to work with and it sounds like a million bucks. The modest, soft snare in the last section, for instance, warms my heart a little every time it beats. I don't know what that says about me, but there it is.

I wanted soo badly to put some tube sheen on my "electric guitar" lead on this track, but I was worried that someone might question the legitimacy of the distortion level, so I didn't. I hope you'll forgive the harshness of the enveloped saw substituting for tube amp overdrive.

Thanks for all the tips that pop up in the thread - I pick up lots of useful advice on the way even though I haven't asked any questions yet. Getting to like the OSC :)

(n.b. I'll continue to work on this track throughout the month, I want the master a bit louder and there may be some other edits by March, possibly a little boogie epilogue or something like that - Diodow is the gift that keeps on giving :-) But I was ready to get it out there! )

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/pour ... etudes-kid

SUMMARY
All sounds from init. All synthesis, no samples. 39 instances of Diodow so far.

Studio One Pro stock effects:
36 ProEQ's,
2 MixTools

Tried some new freeware effects (for me, anyway) as well this time just for fun (instances in parentheses):
Modern Seventh Sign compressor (2)
Dead Duck's Channel strip (1)
Modern Flash Verb (1)
Dead Duck's Compressor (2)
Dead Duck Reverb (2) I used this for a bit of room ambience on the master, and it turned out pretty exceptional on the snares and clap - so insanely luxurious and airy!
Voxengo Tube Amp (1)
Voxengo Overtone GEQ (1)
Flux BitterSweet (3)
Limiter6 (1)
Molot3 (1)
TDR Vos SlickEQ (1)
BootEQmkII (1)
TAL Reverb 4 (2)
Transient (2)
Crosstalk2 (1)

And good luck to everyone this month!
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Shiing, that sounds GREAT!!!!!!!!

It's reminding me of the Barney Miller theme song in spots:D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Man, thanks! I'm so happy with the way this is turning out. OSC is a great motivator for me right now - I felt I had been "half-assing" it a bit with some aspects of my music lately, but I can't do that here!

And then there's that freaking amazing Diodow synth - I feel like it could probably sound like any single '80s synth you want it to. And more, surprisingly - any percussive instrument or drum you want it to play!

TheNeverScene wrote: It's reminding me of the Barney Miller theme song in spots:D
Yeah, there must be a hundred references in that track - there are only two that I made deliberately, though :lol:

I hadn't heard the Barney Miller theme song, though. Love that :-D

Haha...yeah, AWESOME JOB! I added Barney Miller to my previous comment, but I don't think that is the theme I'm thinking. I think it was more Taxi. Nevertheless, should be a theme song to something!

Oh, yeah, Taxi and Bob James are definitely in there. And there's a direct nod to Dave Grusin who did a lot of theme tunes in this fashion.

That's fantastic stuff, schliing! :tu: :tu: :tu:

Huge thumbs up from me! Now, MASH unit 4077th comes to mind, haha

TheNeverScene wrote:I'm not sure, but I don't think that's what Frostline had in mind.
Frostline wrote:It doesn't appear that Diodow exposes pitch parameters to my host.
I took him to mean an automation parameter, but you’re right, the modulation you get with pitch bend going into a matrix seems to blend it with the MIDI pitch data, and works effectively like a relative offset.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

I'll be chasing the theme all night...don't tell me though. When I figure it out, you'll go "Ahhhhh, yeah" :D

Yep, it was Taxi....performed by Kool and the Gang

Taron wrote:That's fantastic stuff, schliing! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Thanks, Taron! Means a lot. I should probably let you know :lol: : I was wondering how to go about with the "guitar" sound, but when I scrolled through some previous OSC entries this week to see what you'd been up to before I joined the party, I heard your December entry with the FB's and immediately nicked your analog lead in the middle there. I mixed it up and changed the character as the track developed - but that was the starting point. So thanks for the inspiration! :lol: That was an awesome track, btw.

TheNeverScene wrote:Huge thumbs up from me! Now, MASH unit 4077th comes to mind, haha
You understand where my music is coming from :clap: :lol:

Yep. If you ever want to throw those patches out there for grabs, let me know. They cover a lot of ground for that late 70's sound :) L.O.V.E.I.T.! I don't use presets, but I would use those things like mad.

Return to “Instruments”