One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I try not to stick my head up too often in case I get shot at :D
What the befuddled non heaven is going on!!
This is a contest based on using a synth to make something, I say something, as musical is not always the case.
Vote how you seen fit, what ever your criteria, PM people, do whatcha like.

:D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Harry_HH wrote:The anonymous voting can be implemented in two alternative ways: either the song writer names are hidden, or the voter names are hidden.
These lead to two very different outcomes, for psychological reasons. Personally, I would be all for anonymous song submissions, yeah :)
Harry_HH wrote:Its on the contrary: its not coincincidence, that how votings in most of the national and municipial elections are implemented, closed votings.
Yes, but after all, in national and municipal elections the idea is to rank persons.

And here, of course:
Harry_HH wrote:After all, the idea is to rank songs/productions, not person.
Not talking about OSC but also in general: given a large enough community with social interaction between its members, some getting along with each other fine, and some not so much, some getting offended by something and some not, people reacting in different ways to these feelings and so on and so on...

It's a misconception that in such a community a system -- where 1) the target of voting isn't a person per se, and 2) the system combines anonymous votes with publicly authored entries -- could be maintained to such a high standard, among all participants, that all voters in all circumstances dedicate themselves to voting without considering the person behind the artefact they are evaluating :D

Harry_HH wrote:A strange “moral of the story”. You presume, that your friends, and those to whom you have done favour, give you high scores, and person who dislikes you, rank your songs low. :dog:
And the person openly declares giving a low score, only because someone else gave him one earlier.
None in this thread commented that. And in this thread, legitime moral seems to be, that sending private pressure mails between the votings, seems to be absolutely OK for the people in this thread.

The third person here has tried to prove, “statistically” I can´t have those opinions of the songs, which the voting reflects. Isn´t that paradoxal: according to those accusations, I give low rankings because of the disliking of one person, AND because I don´t understand reward the other person by giving him a higher score, although he has done a favour to me.
You have either misunderstood the points quite well, or are deliberately altering and extending the actual message to one I don't agree with myself; thereby you are using pretty questionable debate tactics here, for some reason :). The actual discussion is up there in the previous pages for anyone to check out and understand, so there's no need to repeat that on our part, in my opinion.

I would be fine even with skipping the voting altogether. Like, everyone in the community tackling a challenge, and let the ensuing reactions to the fruits of those efforts be reward enough. Alas, there are also prizes to distribute. (Mmmm, fruits....)

Ohh ooh, how about:

After listening to the tracks, everyone picks five, not in any particular order, that they think should enter a prize raffle :D

Each such mention counts as one raffle ticket.

After everyone has done "voting" in this manner, prizes are distributed by drawing tickets at random. Out of all given tickets. The ones with more tickets have a better chance to get to choose a prize, of course.

Five random tickets are drawn this way, one by one, and who ever gets their ticket drawn, gets the turn to choose a prize. One prize per participant, in one month, no matter if drawing more than one ticket for that person. (If drawing duplicates, keep drawing until a new name comes up.)

Ta-dah.

:D :D

Eauson wrote:I try not to stick my head up too often in case I get shot at :D
This is a contest based on using a synth to make something, I say something, as musical is not always the case.

Fair enough! Keep calm and make more... "something" :D

:phones:

Guenon wrote:Ohh ooh, how about:
Each such mention counts as one raffle ticket.
Five random tickets are drawn this way, one by one, and who ever gets their ticket drawn, gets the turn to choose a prize. One prize per participant, in one month, no matter if drawing more than one ticket for that person. (If drawing duplicates, keep drawing until a new name comes up.)
Ta-dah.
:D :D
Your ideas are as creative as your videos :clap:
Much as I like it, I would really miss the opportunity for trying to gradually climb the rankings (and who knows, start getting into the winning spots and maybe even one day in the future win :) )
The written feedback is awesome. The score feedback is also really valuable to me as I try to learn how to do this stuff!

mostlyjustj wrote:
Eauson wrote:I try not to stick my head up too often in case I get shot at :D

Fair enough! Keep calm and make more... "something" :D

tsk-tsk. transitive verb. : to express disapproval :?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I've never understood how an emoji of a happy face listening to music on headphones means tsk-tsk.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote:I've never understood how an emoji of a happy face listening to music on headphones means tsk-tsk.

Haha... me neither!

I never knew about the 'tsk tsk' connotation until now... I just thought it was a happy little dude doing music on his headphones!

...Sorry if you took that as something else Euson. I was honestly just cheerfully agreeing with you :)

mostlyjustj wrote:I just thought it was a happy little dude doing music on his headphones!
Same here!

I have totally meant a happy little dude with headphones every time I've used it :phones: :help:

Actually... As the "tsk tsk tsk" is the mouseover text, but it's "phones" in the actual text... The "tsk tsk tsk" is supposed to be the onomatopoeia of someone listening on headphones and the treble leaking through. A-ha!

"Don Letts, a British musician and filmmaker of Jamaican parentage, recently expressed some acute worry about how contemporary technologies [...] are 'ruining' bass culture [...] 'It's disturbing when I see kids on buses, listening to music on their phones, and it's just going: tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, with no bass' " (The Oxford Handbook of Mobile Music Studies, volume 2, page 65)

Guenon wrote:"Don Letts, a British musician and filmmaker of Jamaican parentage, recently expressed some acute worry about how contemporary technologies [...] are 'ruining' bass culture [...] 'It's disturbing when I see kids on buses, listening to music on their phones, and it's just going: tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, with no bass' " (The Oxford Handbook of Mobile Music Studies, volume 2, page 65)

If that is the case here, I say :phones: to :phones: . What a bizarre basis for an emoji. lol
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

mostlyjustj wrote:
TheNeverScene wrote:I've never understood how an emoji of a happy face listening to music on headphones means tsk-tsk.

Haha... me neither!

I never knew about the 'tsk tsk' connotation until now... I just thought it was a happy little dude doing music on his headphones!

...Sorry if you took that as something else Euson. I was honestly just cheerfully agreeing with you :)
Alls fine, emoji is definitely not a language I understand :tu:

Eauson wrote: Alls fine, emoji is definitely not a language I understand :tu:
In think its sad, that emojis are transformed into silly pictures. I much prefer the old way...; - )
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tj Shredder wrote:
Eauson wrote: Alls fine, emoji is definitely not a language I understand :tu:
In think its sad, that emojis are transformed into silly pictures. I much prefer the old way...;-)
Yeah .. me too ... : - (

dB

In some peculiar way, very fitting in a Diodow round waxing nostalgic about ASCII smilies : D

(And I agree)

Return to “Instruments”