Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
doctorbob
KVRian

1069 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:15 am Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

:- ;

:- > dB
schiing
KVRist

132 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Postby schiing; Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:48 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Voted! Well done, everyone :clap: - and best of luck!

It's ridiculous, I've written little stream-of-consciousness essays on Soundcloud for some of your tracks this month - please let me know in a PM or something if you'd prefer that I didn't!
bryemye
KVRist

33 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Postby bryemye; Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:27 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Really good tracks this month.

Voted.
TheNeverScene
KVRist

411 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Postby TheNeverScene; Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Voted.
Harry_HH
KVRAF

2539 posts since 4 Aug, 2006, from Helsinki

Postby Harry_HH; Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:40 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Voted.
bh9090
KVRist

259 posts since 7 Dec, 2006, from Richmond, VA, USA

Postby bh9090; Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:41 am Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

voted.
functionform
KVRist

167 posts since 13 May, 2017, from Virginia

Postby functionform; Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:45 am Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Voted. I would like to move to something more than a 5 point scale. It was brutal choosing who wasn't a 5 this month, but 4-5 is the only choice we can make to move something from between truly exceptional to "simply" great. Maybe that is the point? Should it hurt when you move a track to a 4?

I wish I could vote on some sort of log scale - 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5, 4.75, 5.

Regardless, I was so impressed with the compositions this month, some really special pieces.
doctorbob
KVRian

1069 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:52 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

The voting with 5 categories is like a standard Likert scale as used for example in psychometric testing. The idea is that the midpoint (3) should be "neutral". It also infers that the gap say 1-2 is sort of the same as 4-5 in terms of grading a response. So, maybe Excellent, Good, OK, Poor, Awful could be one way to score - but no-one does that!

Many researchers also favour a 7-point Likert scale as being more sensitive to views/perceptions, and for quite good reasons ...

"Miller (1956) argued that the human mind has a span of absolute judgment that can distinguish about seven distinct categories, a span of immediate memory for about seven items, and a span of attention that can encompass about six objects at a time, which suggested that any increase in number of response categories beyond six or seven might be futile. Colman, A. M., Norris, C. E., & Preston, C. C. (1997)."

Most surveys and Psychometric testing I devised, carried out and analysed (way back now in the 70's/80's) were mainly based on the 7-point Likert scale.

An alternative is a thermometer like scale, where 100 degrees is HOT, and zero degrees is COLD, and you mark somewhere in between. We can understand this "analogue" model vs the integer/digital one in terms of a "judgement".

Interestingly one of the UK Music exam boards used to mark a student in terms of technical ability, musicality, theory, and so on across a number of exam categories. Originally done in a matrix form so you could assess the overall performance in 2 dimensions. e.g. How good were you technically across all exam items? Or, how good were you playing your pieces (which includes your technical mark, musicality mark etc).

We fall somewhere in between here, with some subjectivity (feeing/perception?), and objectivity (our assessment of the various processes used to make the track).

dB

Oh yes, I have voted on my 5-point scale ... (not the one above I hasten to add!!!)
mostlyjustj
KVRist

299 posts since 15 Jan, 2013, from Victoria BC, Canada

Postby mostlyjustj; Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:02 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

functionform wrote:Voted. I would like to move to something more than a 5 point scale. It was brutal choosing who wasn't a 5 this month, but 4-5 is the only choice we can make to move something from between truly exceptional to "simply" great. Maybe that is the point? Should it hurt when you move a track to a 4?

I wish I could vote on some sort of log scale - 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5, 4.75, 5.

Regardless, I was so impressed with the compositions this month, some really special pieces.

Shuffled my votes today, I agree with this! With only 5 scores to choose from I felt like some of my 4's REALLY should have got 4.5 or 9/10!

Also feel like some of my 3's REALLY should have been 3.5's or 7/10!!

Great work everybody, and sorry to those whose tracks didn't get an extra point in order for my votes to map to the fairest spread I felt I could muster.

In the end I voted using an informal mix of points for music that "subjectively" blew me away in a musical sense, and points for music that was "objectively" super-well crafted even if I wasn't carried away by the track.
Frostline
KVRist

308 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:02 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Finally braved the potential hacker attack and voted.
If displeased with the vote you receive just assume the hacker stole my password and changed my votes. :troll:
Very tough round of competition. People really rose to the challenge that was Diodow. Amazing variety too. :phones:
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
Eauson
KVRist

292 posts since 8 Jan, 2013, from morf

Postby Eauson; Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

voted
Good luck everyone :-D
Last edited by Eauson on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face
liqih
DASH Guy

7305 posts since 19 Sep, 2001

Postby liqih; Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:40 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Voted for poetics.
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah
urlwolf
KVRian

555 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Postby urlwolf; Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:25 am Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Voted! Really good tracks.
zarf
KVRist

320 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Postby zarf; Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 am Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Voted :D Nice month of tracks
asi4
KVRist

82 posts since 22 Mar, 2016

Postby asi4; Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Voting Started!)

Voted!!
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments