Free Nord Modular G2s for everyone!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Courtesy of CDM

http://cdm.link/2018/02/nord-modular-free-software/

tdr version; clever dudes wrote some software which converts G2 Modular patches into CSound patches(*).

(* And Cabbage can convert them into plugins)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

This is ridiculously awesome. Seems to still be some work to do, looking at github and the converted module list?

Looks interesting but perhaps a bit over my head at this point. I'll certainly keep an eye on this story.

Csound....is that related to the program that was somewhat similar to Reaktor or maybe Synth Edit that allowed you to cobble together Osc, Filters etc into synths that could be played from within the framework that loaded as a VSTi ?

This would be around 2002-2003 somewhere in that time frame. Can't remember what it was called.... :oops:

Anyway this is good news for Nord Modular fans. 8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:Csound....is that related to the program that was somewhat similar to Reaktor or maybe Synth Edit that allowed you to cobble together Osc, Filters etc into synths that could be played from within the framework that loaded as a VSTi ?
Not really. CSound is derived from one of the first digital synthesiser systems, dating back to the 50's, and has been around for much longer than realtime audio has been possible. Its text-based (you define the instruments -and- the score in text) and its main use for a long time was academic electronic music and research; a lot of stuff we have now started off as research done with tools like CSound. Its got probably the broadest range of synthesis and processing algorithms of any software, but its still very terse 50's text-based stuff. Its also open source so its been ported to -everything-, and because it doesnt need to be realtime, it can run on (just about) anything, from a Raspberry Pi up.

In this case, though, that doesnt really matter; the software I mentioned converts a Nord G2 patch into a CSound patch, and CSound just becomes the 'player' for the converted patch. And furthermore the Cabbage thing I mentioned can turn that patch into a standalone VST plugin.

Once all modules are converted/emulated, we could have a VST version of Nord Modular easily... It's just that somebody needs to put in all the work. :)

Authors of the paper actually contacted Cabbage author about this possibility.

EvilDragon wrote:Authors of the paper actually contacted Cabbage author about this possibility.
Rory, the Cabbage guy, has done some awesome stuff getting CSound more useable as a generic audio engine; he's now got it working inside the Unity game engine...

:party: :party: :clap: :clap:
wonnnnnderful!!!

@Teksonic - I think you are thinking of Sync Modular.

http://www.sync-modular.org/

Anyone around here tried Wren? Asthetically, it reminds me of the Nord Modular Editor, but it is not meant to be a replica. I have trouble getting sound out of it on some PC's.

Anyway, this Csound thing seems pretty cool.

whyterabbyt wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Authors of the paper actually contacted Cabbage author about this possibility.
Rory, the Cabbage guy, has done some awesome stuff getting CSound more useable as a generic audio engine; he's now got it working inside the Unity game engine...
That's brilliant!

EvilDragon wrote:Once all modules are converted/emulated, we could have a VST version of Nord Modular easily... It's just that somebody needs to put in all the work. :)
Maybe @discodsp can do the job.

feralsystems wrote:@Teksonic - I think you are thinking of Sync Modular.

http://www.sync-modular.org/
Yes that's what I was thinking of..... :)

Sync Modular.....nowhere close sounding to CSound.

See what happens when the memory fails ? Getting old sucks.... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I only had bad experiences with the c-sound cabbage vst export .
Instant crashes etc...
Will see what the future brings , also curious about the conversion ..if it's 90% there , it's all good .
Still have a nord G1 here , that wiill never leave :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I dont have any problems with Cabbage VSTs on my machine
Win 64bit

Well, a few of them dont work but who cares when there are that many to play with :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I hadn't heard of this. Thanks for posting.

I have the Micro Modular and hope this continues to be developed.

:tu:
바보

Personally I'm just amazed my G2 continues to work perfectly on Sierra. Very well designed.

Return to “Instruments”