Please suggest VST drums choice for midi playback

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi fellows.

I need an advice on VST drums with choice of GM/GM2 mapping for playback of midi.
I have Kontakt 5 and couple of kits there from factory library sound ok, but not good/great.
The most convenient VST for drums I tried was Cakewalk Studio Drums VST, but they are not very realistic and have to be highly saturated with effects to sound acceptable. I love the interface of Cakewalk drums, since all controls for individual drums are on one page.

I tried a demo of addictive drums, but can not justify price tag and ridiculous $90 per kit upgrades.

I get lost in all of the choices out there, maybe somebody can recommend something similar in controls and simplicity to Cakewalk Studio drums, but with more realistic sound and lower price tag than addictive drums.

Mostly interested kits with sound for be for Pop / Jazz/ Pop Rock

Thank you in advance.

Drummica for Kontakt is free. Also another good freebie: MTpowerdrumkit.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Steven Slate Drums 4.

Upgrading to Komplete will get you one nice library (abbey road) one so-so (studio drummer) plus a whole lot of other stuff. Abbey Road by itself would be hard to beat for jazz as well.

I dunno If you are balking at $99 there really isn’t that much else out there that is better for less in the realistic rock/Jazz/pop area. Tons of cheaper options for electronic music obviously.
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

I'm a huge fan of both Druminator and Westwood Drums. Dead easy to use, sound great -- a lot better than other drum products out there, and have GM mapping that you want.

Westwood is currently $50, though I imagine it'll go on sale again. It has more flexibility than Druminator.

Druminator is only $29. It's a killer deal. They're marketing it as a kit for metal, becuase that's the genre they like, but it's an excellent all around rock kit, with lots of tweakability to get sounds you want. Good luck!

https://audio-assault.com/collections/f ... druminator

Thanks much!
Great suggestions. This forum rules!

Boone777 you nailed it! Drummica is exellent and free! Nice well tuned kit.
Takes forever to download (4.5gb zipped), but was worth the wait!

Next on my list is Druminator which is not expensive and as generaldiomedes suggested looking possibly upgrade to Komplete when it goes on crazy sale sometime in the future Abbey Road looks good. But for now, Drummica and Druminator will keep me busy for several month for sure :)

I do not want to pollute the forum with another topic, maybe somebody can suggest a good inexpensive acoustic guitar VST or Kontakt instrument. I love Ample Sound AGM lite steel string guitar, which is free but can not justify $140 on average for their other single instruments. Is there anything comparable in quality and controls at reasonable price? Was hoping to get classical /nylon string guitar or maybe a small package of a few different acoustic guitars. Again, same as with drums, standard Kontakt library has "ok" guitars, but in my opinion they do not stand close to Ample sound.

Return to “Instruments”